Full circle...

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
It's really interesting seeing the cars people come from to the CTR and the cars they go to. Come from is kind of all over the place given its attainable price. Going to seem to be alot of the same cars, with the M2 appearing to be the "next best" as you move up the price scale. I would imagine beyond that, for me, would be a P car that is like $100K+.

Not a ton of interesting yet attainable choices in the 6MT performance department outside the American offerings, which I have zero interest in. The R just kills in the value department. Glad I was able to accept the looks and have it as my daily.
Sponsored

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Bud shop out of state - drive home. I did that where I live, Houston, and flew out to Louisiana - saved 6k - drove it home. No matter where in the United States, within reason, and not in the snow - just start pinging dealerships +/- 1000 miles from you.

I wouldn't try and buy anything in California they are on crack 99% of the time -
I’ll look into doing this later this year and see if there’s any fees for bringing in an out of state car to CA. I don’t know if I have to register the car to the state I bought it and then register it CA. If it all adds up I’ll consider trading in my Si for it since I leased it anyways.

wishistillhadmyITR

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F87 M2 (former 00' EBP Si, PYITR 0081, Evo VIII, IX, 15' WRX STi, Focus RS))
Country flag
It's really interesting seeing the cars people come from to the CTR and the cars they go to. Come from is kind of all over the place given its attainable price. Going to seem to be alot of the same cars, with the M2 appearing to be the "next best" as you move up the price scale. I would imagine beyond that, for me, would be a P car that is like $100K+.

Not a ton of interesting yet attainable choices in the 6MT performance department outside the American offerings, which I have zero interest in. The R just kills in the value department. Glad I was able to accept the looks and have it as my daily.
I think many enthusiasts recognize this is truly a drivers car. Although, many owners may not see this. Hindsight is 20/20, and I don’t think I appreciated my ITR for what it truly was at the time.

I think that’s why you see a lot of M2 and CTR cross over. Best drivers car BMW has made since the E46.

I’ll look into doing this later this year and see if there’s any fees for bringing in an out of state car to CA. I don’t know if I have to register the car to the state I bought it and then register it CA. If it all adds up I’ll consider trading in my Si for it since I leased it anyways.
You’ll have to pay all California taxes/fees.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Nah you just buy it there then register / pay taxes in your state - but you'd be paying taxes on an MSRP car or lower hopefully, and not a 45k California Type R that starts you out behind out the gate. Explore it, it's how I did it and was very easy. Most dealerships should be familiar with it.

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
Nah you just buy it there then register / pay taxes in your state - but you'd be paying taxes on an MSRP car or lower hopefully, and not a 45k California Type R that starts you out behind out the gate. Explore it, it's how I did it and was very easy. Most dealerships should be familiar with it.
I agree with NapalmEnema. The only way dealers in CA or anywhere else will change is if sales go elsewhere.

I paid MSRP and I live in the midwest. My dealer ONLY sells at MSRP. I know at least three people who bought in the midwest and drove back home to the western states. Remember all your break-in period is over when you get home and you can start to enjoy the car.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you're a little nuts.

First of all, the Type R destroys the latest Supra on the track. The Supra is an absolute dog as a performance car. It's a grand touring roadster you can't remove the top on. Automatic transmission only, dead steering, is not well planted at speed.

In comparison, the Type R is substantially more sophisticated. The steering feel is lightyears ahead, the responsiveness and directness of the handling is so far beyond the Supra it's not even close. The car remains stable and does what you want it to at high speed and during hard cornering. The FK8 Type R is an engineering masterpiece that will go down in history like the S2000 and the original NSX.

The Supra in its current form brings nothing to the table. It isn't particularly fast in a straight line, it isn't particularly good sounding, it doesn't handle or brake particularly well, it isn't a particularly good value for the performance it offers. Z4 with a Supra badge.

The GR Yaris is a very unique limited production vehicle but the Type R still beats it on the track.

Getting old? Losing its edge to competitors? Ignore practicality completely. You couldn't list 3 cars that cost the same as the Type R and outperform it from a performance perspective. Camaro SS is probably the only one.

Type R outperforms the following cars on the track: GT350, every version of the Challenger, any 4 or 6 cylinder Camaro, modern BMW M2, M3, M4, Audi TTRS, Supra, I could go on and on and on. None of these stock have ever posted a 'Ring time lower than the Type R's stock time.
You are basing your info off of the 2020 2.0 supra. IM talking the 2021 3.0 premium with inline 6 turbo charged and with 383HP that does 0-60 in 3.9. Sorry but OEM to OEM car the R aint touching it. Hence why I stated that the Type R was losing its edge and needed to update because now even a yaris is beating it. Might want to look at updated info. PLus half the cars you named are absolutely faster then the R. OH and you might find it interesting that in the supra forums guess what the number one car that is trade-in for a supra is? Yup the civic type R. strange so many trade for an inferior car in your opinion. Have you drivin one for any amount of time ? I have, I have owned both. I can promise you myself and anyone I have let drive my supra (including 3 former Type R owners) will hands down say The supra (the 3.0 inline 6 version that I own) Is hands down the better performing car by a long shot.
And as for price range what are people paying for Type R LEs? I bet ya I paid less for the supra. They are in the same price range give or take a few k depending on what state you buy in.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You are basing your info off of the 2020 2.0 supra. IM talking the 2021 3.0 premium with inline 6 turbo charged and with 383HP that does 0-60 in 3.9. Sorry but OEM to OEM car the R aint touching it. Hence why I stated that the Type R was losing its edge and needed to update because now even a yaris is beating it. Might want to look at updated info. PLus half the cars you named are absolutely faster then the R. OH and you might find it interesting that in the supra forums guess what the number one car that is trade-in for a supra is? Yup the civic type R. strange so many trade for an inferior car in your opinion. Have you drivin one for any amount of time ? I have, I have owned both. I can promise you myself and anyone I have let drive my supra (including 3 former Type R owners) will hands down say The supra (the 3.0 inline 6 version that I own) Is hands down the better performing car by a long shot.
And as for price range what are people paying for Type R LEs? I bet ya I paid less for the supra. They are in the same price range give or take a few k depending on what state you buy in.
You sure spend a lot of time, and are now on your second car, convincing yourself and trying to convince us you made the right choice and have found a superior car. (didn't that happen with the Mustang you got before this lol?)

You should have just come back after the Mustang to the fun car.

I have a performance edition 1/150 2017 M2, and the powerplant for the Supra is the engine from that, the pre-current gen M2. It's a great fun / fantastic engine, I LOVE mine - just drove it this evening and it's CRAZY FUN. (I have the dual clutch auto in that one not a manual, so I know EXACTLY what you mean with the lightning fast shifts and just crazy speed you can carry - wow)

My day today - drop M2 off for oil change
Drove loaner 2020/2021? M340i - meh lame too soft even in sport, nice power but meh for the $$$ and interior felt cheap somehow
Drop loaner - pick up Type R to take dog to vet (wow the car that can do it all?) - how can this be so much better feeling in every aspect than an M340i??? <note to self look up price to laugh>
Hoon on way home - so entertaining rofl
Drop off Type R - work most of day
Drive loaner - pick up M2 - oh man it's good to be back in the beast
Drive home - park M2
Drive Type R to get dog -

So back to back all the time, and while both AWESOME, nothing beats that shifting hoonigan entertainment that you can have throwing the R around at unsafe speeds - and everything it does - it does so well - I call it a scalpel in traffic, but then it can drive like a cloud when my dog is all doped up from having her teeth cleaned.

So being honest? I'd pick the Type R if I had to go on a parking lot and only walk away with one. And I love - LOVE my M2.

You know the Type R is the winner - that's why you haunt this board, and it haunts you so lol. You should have come back to the dark side! We miss you :X

Last edited:

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
you know I would love to come here and try to help others with out being attacked every time. I simply was suggesting an alternative to the OP. Then here we go again with the didnt you buy a mustang??? blah blah blah. yeah so what? Well yall sit around and debate info from the internet on what you think you know about cars. Ill be here actually driving them every weekend. nice chatting as usual. Insulting others must be a Honda thing. Not like this on Ford or Toyota forums.

Honda Civic 10th gen Full circle... Screenshot_22

Honda Civic 10th gen Full circle... IMG_20201219_092534662_HDR

Honda Civic 10th gen Full circle... IMG_20201211_140819794_HDR

Honda Civic 10th gen Full circle... Screenshot_23

Last edited:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
you know I would love to come here and try to help others with out being attacked every time. I simply was suggesting an alternative to the OP. Then here we go again with the didnt you buy a mustang??? blah blah blah. yeah so what? Well yall sit around and debate info from the internet on what you think you know about cars. Ill be here actually driving them every weekend. nice chatting as usual. Insulting others must be a Hinda thing. Not like this on ford or Toyota forums.

Screenshot_22.jpg

IMG_20201219_092534662_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201211_140819794_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_23.jpg
Bud I have ZERO clue where you got I'm insulting you from my post? I'm talking about two cars I own, one that is hyper similar to the car you own. I am talking / participating on a car forum and was very complimentary of your car , my car, then I ventured an opinion / summary.

Then I made some LIGHT HEARTED quips about you coming back to the Type R fold?

If your skin is this thin, perhaps you could earn extra coin as the see through man where scientists can study your organs and inner workings in real time?

Wow. Cut down on the caffeine friend - we're all car guys here. Sheesh.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Bud I have ZERO clue where you got I'm insulting you from my post? I'm talking about two cars I own, one that is hyper similar to the car you own. I am talking / participating on a car forum and was very complimentary of your car , my car, then I ventured an opinion / summary.

Then I made some LIGHT HEARTED quips about you coming back to the Type R fold?

If your skin is this thin, perhaps you could earn extra coin as the see through man where scientists can study your organs and inner workings in real time?

Wow. Cut down on the caffeine friend - we're all car guys here. Sheesh.
Wasn't you so much. But other guy. But its one of those things man I got some nasty crap posts and basically got hounded ruthlessly and had post reported to be removed and... yeah so sorry my apologies to you but man I went through some hell with some aholes on here and got every post I made trashed after I sold the R so I guess I just have hard feelings. again sorry. I still love the car and come back to talk about . I dont own one any more but I still drive them regular.

But you might be right on the caffeine LOL. No hard feelings.

OP
OP

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
I will say that I do like the new Supra. The one thing that the CTR and the Supra have in common is unique styling, and I like the styling on both cars. In a sea of blandness, these two cars definitely stand out. It’s probably why people are so hard on their looks.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's really interesting seeing the cars people come from to the CTR and the cars they go to. Come from is kind of all over the place given its attainable price. Going to seem to be alot of the same cars, with the M2 appearing to be the "next best" as you move up the price scale.
I think I win the award for the "weirdest car to go to"...

Nah but forreal, if money wasn't a concern it'd be hard for me to find a real upgrade to the CTR that's similar to it. If I got a Porsche I'd probably opt for the PDK - it's just too good. There's really not many cars that can drive like the CTR does honestly.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Motor in the 2017 M2 is a N55 and the Supra is a B58...
I was gonna point this out as well and the less HP the M2 has and all but didn't want to start another argument LOL
Sponsored