Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
Love seeing your full car list over the years, you have a great taste for driver's cars! CTR and an ND2 is the perfect daily and weekend combo - we have a FBO CTR, and I rented a ND1 Miata while in SoCal in 2019 to rip around the canyons - it's one of the last honest, no gimmick cars out there :)

The CTR comes pretty well balanced, and if the mod bug bites you then you can go many ways with the build. We've added our list of CTR parts to the site if you wanted to browse: https://unity-performance.com/collections/2017-civic-type-r

Humza
Thanks for the link. I rarely leave my cars stock!
Sponsored

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Congrats on the CTR. That's always been my feeling on many of the American V8 cars: great performance value but one trick ponies in the fun department. Most feel like boats when just street driving, which is 99% of the time for me.

I'd rather have something less powerful but lighter/more agile through the corners. Burning through rear tires, stoplight launches, and only being able to drive the car 5/10ths on the road don't appeal to me.

CTR and ND2 is a killer 2 car combo.

Jjk226

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR CW
Country flag
Nearly 18 months ago, I put a deposit on a 2019 Civic Type R that was listed in my area for $2k under MSRP. I went the next day, excited as one could be to pick up my new car only to find they sold it out from under me. The dealer’s GM apologized for the inconvenience and promised me their next allocation for the same price. It left such a bad taste in my mouth I decided to buy a new 2019 Grand Sport C7 Corvette instead. That was a mistake. I never connected with the GS C7. It was a very capable car, but rather numb and boring on the street. After nine months of ownership, I sold the car and bought a new 2020 Miata ND2. It is my fourth Miata and I absolutely love the car. Actually, my new Miata is my favorite of the 61 cars I have owned in the past twenty years.
Over the past few weeks, I got the itch to get something else to add to the fleet. I test drove a new Mustang GT, GTI, STI and a Type R. I quickly narrowed my choice down to the STI and the Type R. I really enjoyed the rawness and responsiveness of the STI. After driving the Type R once again, I enjoyed its precision and refinement. After much thought, I purchased a new 2021 Type R today and will pick it up next Saturday.

I will say that even though my choice was to purchase a Type R, my experiences with Honda dealerships continued to leave a bad taste in my mouth. From high ADMs, to lack of transparency on purchasing the vehicle to the lack of customer care and respect. I nearly bought an STI instead. Honda really needs to get some of their dealerships in check. With all of this being said, I decided to push through the negative experience and hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel when my ownership begins next Saturday when I pick the car up from out of town.

I look forward to seeing how it compares to the previous cars I have owned. I realize that I need to slow down my car purchases and enjoy the car instead of chasing the next best thing. I think the CTR is going to be a great companion to my ND2. For those who are interested, some of the highlights of previous cars I have owned are: 1999 Civic SI, protuned 2005 STI, FBO and tuned 2006 GTO, FBO and tuned Mazdaspeed Miata, 2007 S2000, 2007 Lotus Elise Type 72d, 2016 tuned Miata ND1, too many Jeep Wranglers to mention from mild to extremely wild, 2019 Grand Sport C7 and finally my 2020 ND2.

I look forward to being part of the CTR community!
Had a very similar experience with Honda dealers giving unreasonable prices and almost buying an STI purely out of spite. Decided to calm down a bit and call up dealers out of state and luckily found one for MSRP. Congrats on your ride!

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Thanks for the link. I rarely leave my cars stock!
What are you mod plans for the ND2?
I am guessing suspension first, to tame that generous body roll, yaw and pitch?

OP
OP

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
What are you mod plans for the ND2?
I am guessing suspension first, to tame that generous body roll, yaw and pitch?
I’m going to put on Ohlins coilovers, front and rear sway bars and lighter wheels and tires. I’ll probably do new brake calipers and rotors as well sometime in the future. I added full exhaust and tune to my 2016 Miata, but the newly revised motor doesn’t need a tune. It really runs beautifully.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I said that for every car I've owned - dunno can't find a thing to modify on the Type R lol it's pretty solid from the factory.
Intercooler? tune?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Intercooler? tune?
If I was going to track it I think I'd add a radiator, intercooler, and oil cooler. But since it's just street hooning I've never had heat issues and I run it pretty hard.... Power wise I'm sure it would feel even better with more power but it feels silly quick as it is I'm just not motivated to. Previous cars I'd tune to address issues with the factory tune -

08 STi had an unsafe factory tune with bad stumble. 2014 EVO had a stumble at 5k. This thing just pulls clean all the way and just feels good all over. Just feels perfectly balanced to me so power not on my menu just yet. Maybe will change, but maybe not.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
I’m going to put on Ohlins coilovers, front and rear sway bars and lighter wheels and tires. I’ll probably do new brake calipers and rotors as well sometime in the future. I added full exhaust and tune to my 2016 Miata, but the newly revised motor doesn’t need a tune. It really runs beautifully.
Straight to Ohlins huh? I completely respect your NO BS approach Brother!

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Straight to Ohlins huh? I completely respect your NO BS approach Brother!
Ohlins are so good when you need that part it's hard to get anything less once you know about them vs others lol. Beautiful craftsmanship on them too.

wishistillhadmyITR

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F87 M2 (former 00' EBP Si, PYITR 0081, Evo VIII, IX, 15' WRX STi, Focus RS))
Country flag
Getting too old to BS anymore. Go big or go home!
Ohlins are so good when you need that part it's hard to get anything less once you know about them vs others lol. Beautiful craftsmanship on them too.
yeah none of this spring business. If I mod the suspension on this car it’ll have to be better than stock... and that means some high end dedicated coil over system.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
yeah none of this spring business. If I mod the suspension on this car it’ll have to be better than stock... and that means some high end dedicated coil over system.
Yeah was referring to those for the Miata - I wouldn't add them to the Type R I don't see what benefit the cost would give you.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Welcome indeed!
Knight Templar to Indiana Jones: 'You have chosen wisely.'

For true drivers cars that work well as daily drivers, the list is very short. Honda makes two of them.

Tsong

First Name
Timmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic type r
Country flag
I said that for every car I've owned - dunno can't find a thing to modify on the Type R lol it's pretty solid from the factory.
It’s almost perfect stock... except the exhaust. That definitely needs an upgrade. It still doesn’t sound bad but it definitely needs some growl. This is just personal preference. I would also like to throw out wheels if anyone’s area like mine is riddled with potholes(SoCal).
Sponsored