Jrn450

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Past few months it has been a journey seen all the new parts getting released from turbos to the hondata support for XDI. This last one have been a topic for debate on other forums like fb and instagram.
I am not here to bash xdi or hondata I want to learn more and want to see different points of view. What do you think about each and why do you pick what side. Imo these are two different approaches two different ways of doing things each one has advantages or disadvantages. When it comes to pricing hondata is more expensive providing less performance on the hpfp and at the same time it provides more items in a bundle. Are all this extra items really needed? I do not know but I do know they work well together.
let’s see some opinions here is all I am looking for.
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
From what I’ve seen tuning multiple of both at the same time right now, the additional items i.e. injectors, fuel line, in tank pump are not necessary until you’ve got a big turbo or you want to run straight E85.

Thus far I’ve managed to run E50 with full boost on just a standalone XDI pump, and my guys on Hondata aren’t doing it any better, especially once you drill the fuel line nozzle open. For reference, running even E30 on the stock pump requires you to reduce boost.

The XDI fills an important hole people have wanted much longer than big turbos. Getting to 400whp is easy, but going beyond that basically meant jumping way higher to a turbo and fuel system and then you’re at 500+ and wanting a built motor.

The XDI, a downpipe, intercooler, and some ethanol will let you go past 400whp without totally breaking the bank or losing midrange torque.

Last edited:

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Posting here vs. the Facebook Toxicity thread for the sake of keeping things related to the original topic.

IMO ..

People need to build their cars to their goals.

The XDI pump so far has shown that it can supply power to support nearly 500whp.

For those of you buying bigger turbos and the Hondata FSU - youll find that using the turbo and FSU to its advertised potential will get expensive quick. your stock clutch isnt going to hold that torque, and your stock block likely isnt going to like it either. Can it be done? Can you make power north of 500 on stock components? Sure, but for how many pulls is it going to last.

The way I see it, the XDI provides enough fuel for manageable power at a reasonable limit before having to rip apart the car to upgrade supporting components.

Is there more overhead with the Hondata FSU? Yes.

Does it make sense to buy it if it doesnt fit your budget or goals? Probably not

Is the XDI a reasonable alternative? Depending on your goals. So far id say yes.

This is just my opinion and mindset on it though.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Another side to consider: XDI can provide 250 bars of pressure, flows 12% more per stroke, and doesn’t float until 8000 engine RPM. That in combination with all the other parts from the Hondata FSU and some valve, spring, and rod cap upgrades should see some monstrous results because it’ll let us go to 8000 rpm and make huge horsepower numbers without huge torque.

The XDI just opens up so much for us for safe direct injected power, both on the low end and high end of the power spectrum. It’s arguably more exciting than all these turbos and everything else.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Would like to see more data, impressions and dyno sheets from 93oct only customers.

OP
OP

Jrn450

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Posting here vs. the Facebook Toxicity thread for the sake of keeping things related to the original topic.

IMO ..

People need to build their cars to their goals.

The XDI pump so far has shown that it can supply power to support nearly 500whp.

For those of you buying bigger turbos and the Hondata FSU - youll find that using the turbo and FSU to its advertised potential will get expensive quick. your stock clutch isnt going to hold that torque, and your stock block likely isnt going to like it either. Can it be done? Can you make power north of 500 on stock components? Sure, but for how many pulls is it going to last.

The way I see it, the XDI provides enough fuel for manageable power at a reasonable limit before having to rip apart the car to upgrade supporting components.

Is there more overhead with the Hondata FSU? Yes.

Does it make sense to buy it if it doesnt fit your budget or goals? Probably not

Is the XDI a reasonable alternative? Depending on your goals. So far id say yes.

This is just my opinion and mindset on it though.
Redstar has about three type r stock internals stock clutch with over 500 horses and over 500 hours of track time. So it can hold more than just a few pulls. Do you want to risk it that far? Probably not lol not to mention they are all running stock fuel system with meth ?

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Redstar has about three type r stock internals stock clutch with over 500 horses and over 500 hours of track time. So it can hold more than just a few pulls. Do you want to risk it that far? Probably not lol not to mention they are all running stock fuel system with meth ?
Sorry But I tend to take Red Star stuff with a grain of salt and in the grand scheme of things, three type Rs from them is a poor representation of the community as a whole as far as what we can and cannot do on stock components. I certainly do not discount Pepo's ability to tune, but I question the calibration on their dyno.

However, when multiple credible companies stress the importance of pushing the torque curve further out in order to alleviate stress on the internals I believe them. While there isnt a solid torque number where things start to go bad, I think PRL has mentioned that 400-450 seems to be the safe spot on our engines. I tend to lean that way based on the amount of R&D on the platform theyve performed.

I also want to add, that I am interested in seeing where the majority of people start changing out their clutches as cars venture into the 500+hp 450+tq range.

PRL did it, I know another P600 guy just had to do it, and so on. I know there are a lot of determining factors in play such as age/mileage on the clutch etc. So im sure there isnt a definite number. But adding over 150lbft of torque on the stock clutch and expecting it to last isnt a bet im willing to gamble on, and three type Rs from Red Star isnt enough to sway me either.

Last edited:

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
wonder how shot their tranny / clutches are

OP
OP

Jrn450

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Sorry But I tend to take Red Star stuff with a grain of salt and in the grand scheme of things, three type Rs from them is a poor representation of the community as a whole as far as what we can and cannot do on stock components. I certainly do not discount Pepo's ability to tune, but I question the calibration on their dyno.

However, when multiple credible companies stress the importance of pushing the torque curve further out in order to alleviate stress on the internals I believe them. While there isnt a solid torque number where things start to go bad, I think PRL has mentioned that 400-450 seems to be the safe spot on our engines. I tend to lean that way based on the amount of R&D on the platform theyve performed.
Three with hundreds of hours on the track there are over 10 or 15 over the 500 mark as far as their dyno calibration they don’t have a Dyno they go to a local dyno and some of these Rs are not even in PR they are in the states. I have not had a chance to dyno mine after the fuel system install as I got a street tune. IMO if you don’t have build motor money you should not push these safe limits.

Last edited:

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
From what I’ve seen tuning multiple of both at the same time right now, the additional items i.e. injectors, fuel line, in tank pump are not necessary until you’ve got a big turbo or you want to run straight E85.

Thus far I’ve managed to run E50 with full boost on just a standalone XDI pump, and my guys on Hondata aren’t doing it any better, especially once you drill the fuel line nozzle open. For reference, running even E30 on the stock pump requires you to reduce boost.

The XDI fills an important hole people have wanted much longer than big turbos. Getting to 400whp is easy, but going beyond that basically meant jumping way higher to a turbo and fuel system and then you’re at 500+ and wanting a built motor.

The XDI, a downpipe, intercooler, and some ethanol will let you go past 400whp without totally breaking the bank or losing midrange torque.
Is there even any benefit to straight e85 with the Hondata FSU?

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Three with hundreds of hours on the track there are over 10 or 15 over the 500 mark
Again, I take Red Star numbers with a grain of salt. Can you link to where youre pulling these numbers from?

Thanks,

OP
OP

Jrn450

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
wonder how shot their tranny / clutches are
Who knows this whole thing comes down on how low they apply torque as torque is what kills these engines and transmissions. A well tuned R has peak torque anywhere between 3500 and 4500 @kefi would probably be best addressing this one as I am not a tuner it is just from conversations and dyno graphs I have seen

OP
OP

Jrn450

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Again, I take Red Star numbers with a grain of salt. Can you link to where youre pulling these numbers from?

Thanks,
You will have to follow the IG story as the only make posts about the tracked ones all the other ones they shared owners content on their story. For sure I can tell you the red one recently made 550hp there is a blue one that holds the fastest fwd time in the PR circuit track 1 minute flat and the black one on the DIPR youtube video. Pepo’s Red type r is built along with the black one that recently made 800 on NOS these two are built and pepo explains on that interview why he built his so early in the game. There is a white one I believe from Orlando making 530 and there are a couple here in texas on that same range. Again these last ones don’t have as much information going.
Sponsored