fuel use

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I read something interesting online this morning; new cars like the genX civic with manual transmissions have this feature where when stopped at a stoplight, with the clutch disengaged and sitting there idling waiting for the light to change, the engine management system reduces the amount of fuel that the injectors are delivering to almost zero so that the engine is essentially running off vapor in the combustion chambers. Has anyone else heard of this? Maybe honda can tell us if this is true?
Sponsored

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Where did you read this?

That said, manufacturers continue to try and make the cars fuel and emissions efficient. Short of adding a stop/start feature, reducing the amount of fuel burned is important. Yes, it is possible for the computer to lean out the mixture (ie, change the fuel/air ratio the engine is given) to reduce emissions. At idle would be a good condition since the engine us under no load.

RYSBRNR

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, 2017 Accord Sport SE, 1989 Mustang LX 5.0
Country flag
I don’t know man... my Si sure seems to burn a lot of gas when idling. I track my fuel economy like a hawk and never leave it idling unless I have no choice. The computer may lean it out but idling is an inherently inefficient activity for an engine.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
The civic x is direct injected, not the traditional port injection where fuel is sprayed in intake ports. You cannot run on vapors with DI. yes, less fuel may be injected but no "vapors".
After all, it injects fuel at over 1500 psi.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Some Hondas had lean burn capability back in the early and mid 2000s. Lean burn increases NOx emissions so I doubt that it's used anymore in North America.

CosmicX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6M
Country flag
The civic x is direct injected, not the traditional port injection where fuel is sprayed in intake ports. You cannot run on vapors with DI. yes, less fuel may be injected but no "vapors".
After all, it injects fuel at over 1500 psi.
Only the 1.5 engine is DI. The 2.0 engine in the CivicX is port injected.
Sponsored