Fuel Range Meter not resetting all the time

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
So what you're saying is this fuel range meter works way different than the one in the 15 Civic. That one would increase or decrease its max range based on your current driving habits. So if say it said range 300 miles and i started driving and getting better mpg it would go up as it was taking that into mind. Where as this one totally ignores that, will stay what it is on previously and either go down or sometimes not change. As with now after the fill up this morning, it stayed on what it had before, so after now driving 10 ish miles since filling up it says my range is 239 miles and my estimated mpg is 32 mpg... That cars 12.5 gallon tank is still nearly full as 10 miles barely touched it so it's guessing my range is going to be less than its bass mpg and max miles per tank should be? It just makes no sense why Honda would take something that worked fine on the previous gen models amd screw it up. At this rate at some point if I drive enough on this tank my meter will drop to under 100 miles range. Then if i fill up it will still say the range on this new tank is less than 100 miles. This makes the range meter totally useless! The major issue is the meter is not increasing or even resetting. My old civic after each fill up the range meter would reset back to 380 miles on its own. It would increase or decrease as I started driving based on my current mpg.
Sorry for confusion(on my end it seems) if you filled it up and it hasnt changed the range there is something wrong.. Once i see the setting you changed.. If it is correct im gonna assume there is a bad sensor somewere thats not recognizing rhe gas fill and/or level..

A little advanced but might wanna see if there is a test in the diagnostic mode.. But only test.. Dont change anything.. Or leave to the dealer
Sponsored

OP
OP
SangreRaven

SangreRaven

First Name
Raven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I cannot find any options for anything in the settings for the range meter. After reading other ppl posting about their mpg on here and mentioning their range going up and down after fill up I am pretty sure mine has an issue.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
I cannot find any options for anything in the settings for the range meter. After reading other ppl posting about their mpg on here and mentioning their range going up and down after fill up I am pretty sure mine has an issue.
Ya theres no reset to range.. Its based on fuel amount and the car doing math.. I meant the trip reset u changed earlier

OP
OP
SangreRaven

SangreRaven

First Name
Raven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well it reset to a higher range over the weekend when I did a fill up and the Trip A reset on its own so that seems to be working. It still is not going up any as I drive but I have noticed that at least the range is getting higher. Maybe it just needs to figure out my driving style, it still has a ways before it passes the break in periods :p guess I will keep an eye on it.

-R

menagaras

First Name
Mena
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic ex-t
Country flag
Has anyone had issues with the fuel range meter not resetting everytime after you fill the car up? I can fill up the car and it sometimes resets to 330 miles estimated for the tank and other times it stays on what it was before I filled up. It also never goes up if the estimated MPG increases it will usually just stay stuck on the miles range it last showed for a while (example: it said 268 range miles and never changed and i drove 50 miles and it finally started dropping) its weird. It almost seems like a software issue.

Thanks
-R
Hi, I just bought a 2016 Civic EX-T and I’m having the same exact issues that you were describing in this thread. I know this thread a bit old but I was hoping you can tell me what the issue turned out to be or what you did in order to fix. It’s kinda frustrating.

Intamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport
Country flag
I filled up only 1 gallon when I was relatively near empty (to try and keep the tank low for the fuel pump recall) and neither the range nor the fuel gauge *itself* changed at all, lol. I thought the gas station pump was broken!

Now my range is averaging down much much slower than actual miles. So...it’s all screwed up. But I expect upon a full refill it will reset properly.
But for the fuel gauge itself to not update? That’s not good!

PHL2FL

First Name
Caitlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Well it reset to a higher range over the weekend when I did a fill up and the Trip A reset on its own so that seems to be working. It still is not going up any as I drive but I have noticed that at least the range is getting higher. Maybe it just needs to figure out my driving style, it still has a ways before it passes the break in periods :p guess I will keep an eye on it.

-R
I know this thread is old, but my range stopped working today. The gauge is fine. Did your gauge continue to work without the range working? I have a 2017 Honda Civic EX-T

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
FWIW - From the Owner's Manual
..."If you do not fill up the tank to full, always add a minimum of 1.3 US gal (5 L)of fuel...."
and
..."If you repeatedly fill the tank with less than the specified minimum amount of fuel, the malfunction indicator lamp may come on. If this happens, have your vehicle checked by a dealer."

PHL2FL

First Name
Caitlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I always fill my tank up to full from the half tank mark. I noticed my range was stuck at 335 for several miles. I went to fill up my tank to see if it reset and it didn’t. The gauge seems okay but the range is definitely faulty. I have never had this issue. I was just wondering if others in this older thread had a fix for it.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Then it's most likely your current calculated range on a full tank is the same. I interpret your posts as indicating the range does eventually start to decrease.

It's been discussed many times but the "estimated range" never increases once it comes up with the new value calculated at a fill-up. I don't use the range very often but I've gone over 50 miles at the start of a trip before the range starts to decrease. The opposite occurs after trip completion where a high range number will drop faster than the driven miles.
Sponsored