Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone had issues with the fuel range meter not resetting everytime after you fill the car up? I can fill up the car and it sometimes resets to 330 miles estimated for the tank and other times it stays on what it was before I filled up. It also never goes up if the estimated MPG increases it will usually just stay stuck on the miles range it last showed for a while (example: it said 268 range miles and never changed and i drove 50 miles and it finally started dropping) its weird. It almost seems like a software issue.

Thanks
-R
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Weird, no, mine does correctly every time since I got the car. But I also have it set so it automatically resets the tripometer and average MPG number whenever it senses the tank has been refilled, so maybe that helps keep it working right every time.

OP
OP
SangreRaven

SangreRaven

First Name
Raven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Should it not automatically be set to do that? My 15 civic automatically reset the fuel range meter on fill up. I had to always reset the trip meter but that's always been the norm for every Honda I have owned.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
AFAIK, it should reset the fuel range each time you fill up but not the tripometer and average MPG - those settings have to be enabled manually. But I agree with you that it seems like a software issue you're having, and since your car presumably has the same software as mine, but I don't have a problem, I'm wondering if maybe that's why. I.e. maybe it's a glitch that doesn't occur if you have enable those other reset settings.

OP
OP
SangreRaven

SangreRaven

First Name
Raven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well i found the trip meter settings for auto on fill up but there is not option for the range meter. I set the trip settings to auto on fill up so i will drive it a little and fill it up again and see what happens. If that doesn't work I will just have to let the dealer look at it and hope they don't scratch the car again.

-R

OP
OP
SangreRaven

SangreRaven

First Name
Raven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And that didn't help any, now it seems the auto trip doesn't work either. The car never detected the fill up and both the range and trip meter stayed the same as before. So looks like software and a dreaded dealership trip :(

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
And that didn't help any, now it seems the auto trip doesn't work either. The car never detected the fill up and both the range and trip meter stayed the same as before. So looks like software and a dreaded dealership trip :(
Interesting. I wonder what it does to detect a fill up. I mean, it seems it must just be an algorithm that looks for the tank being full at startup when it was way below full at last shutdown. I can't imagine how that could break, or how they'll fix that. Maybe there's a separate sensor in the tank for detecting "full", though I can't imagine why they wouldn't just use the one for the gas gauge.

OP
OP
SangreRaven

SangreRaven

First Name
Raven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No clue, the gas gauge is accurate, it was a little slow about going back up to F once but after a few mins it was good. They can't say I did anything though as the car isn't even two weeks old yet. Anyway, I will see what they say when I get a chance to go by there.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
You changed the setting and went and got more fuel after changing it correct?

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Interesting. I wonder what it does to detect a fill up. I mean, it seems it must just be an algorithm that looks for the tank being full at startup when it was way below full at last shutdown. I can't imagine how that could break, or how they'll fix that. Maybe there's a separate sensor in the tank for detecting "full", though I can't imagine why they wouldn't just use the one for the gas gauge.
It doesnt do it by full.. It does it whenever you put any fuel in.. So lets say you are at a quarter tank and fill it to half a tank with $5.. It will reset based in that change

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Has anyone had issues with the fuel range meter not resetting everytime after you fill the car up? I can fill up the car and it sometimes resets to 330 miles estimated for the tank and other times it stays on what it was before I filled up. It also never goes up if the estimated MPG increases it will usually just stay stuck on the miles range it last showed for a while (example: it said 268 range miles and never changed and i drove 50 miles and it finally started dropping) its weird. It almost seems like a software issue.

Thanks
-R
Oh and the range not changing is also normal.. Lets say you fill ur tank and drive 50miles backroads getting 25mpg.. Its calculation on range is based on you continuing that same driving pattern.. Now you get on the highway and your getting 40mpg for 50 miles.. The range could stay the same as you have slowly brought up your fuel economy into the calculation.. Lets just say i have gotten on the highway and it has said 200 miles is my range on current fuel and then 30 miles later it has said 250 miles is my range... All caused by getting really poor economy in stop and go traffic and then getting real good economy

OP
OP
SangreRaven

SangreRaven

First Name
Raven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So what you're saying is this fuel range meter works way different than the one in the 15 Civic. That one would increase or decrease its max range based on your current driving habits. So if say it said range 300 miles and i started driving and getting better mpg it would go up as it was taking that into mind. Where as this one totally ignores that, will stay what it is on previously and either go down or sometimes not change. As with now after the fill up this morning, it stayed on what it had before, so after now driving 10 ish miles since filling up it says my range is 239 miles and my estimated mpg is 32 mpg... That cars 12.5 gallon tank is still nearly full as 10 miles barely touched it so it's guessing my range is going to be less than its bass mpg and max miles per tank should be? It just makes no sense why Honda would take something that worked fine on the previous gen models amd screw it up. At this rate at some point if I drive enough on this tank my meter will drop to under 100 miles range. Then if i fill up it will still say the range on this new tank is less than 100 miles. This makes the range meter totally useless! The major issue is the meter is not increasing or even resetting. My old civic after each fill up the range meter would reset back to 380 miles on its own. It would increase or decrease as I started driving based on my current mpg.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SangreRaven

SangreRaven

First Name
Raven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You changed the setting and went and got more fuel after changing it correct?
Correct and it never updated on its own, I even confirmed the setting still showed auto on fill up

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Correct and it never updated on its own, I even confirmed the setting still showed auto on fill up
Can you take a photo of the screen were your changing the setting so i can verify its right one.. Id go take a pic of mine but cant for like 3 hours
Sponsored