This takes the cake, im done. Good luck and goodbye gentlemen
Sponsored

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
If you have an inquisitive mind and a civic, you should test something more useful. Few people will drive long trips in L, so it's kinda lame test.

I know you have a 2.0 engine without DI, but it's still similar and I would be curious to see how far can oil dilution be pushed. So, a more interesting test for me would be to fill the engine with about fifty-fifty 0W20 oil and gasoline and see how long you can run with it. After the trip you could send the oil for analysis and post it here.
:lol::lol:
Best hidden humor I've read in a while.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
:lol::lol:
Best hidden humor I've read in a while.
At 50/50 oil/fuel mix, it will be a short trip, followed by an engine autopsy, no UOA necessary!
:crazy:

CameraGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I get about 460-480 per tank on a road trip. Computer says 41-42. SI Sedan here though, I would expect the 2.0 to be close

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
At 50/50 oil/fuel mix, it will be a short trip, followed by an engine autopsy, no UOA necessary!
:crazy:
Actually, I'm almost sure it would easily survive. Of course, the gasoline would gradually evaporate, and the experimenter could leave it alone, refill with more gas, or refill with oil. I bet it would survive in each scenario.

CTRx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
About 450 KM on a full tank. Mileage sits pretty high for about 50/50 city/highway driving at 9.5L/100KM

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Actually, I'm almost sure it would easily survive. Of course, the gasoline would gradually evaporate, and the experimenter could leave it alone, refill with more gas, or refill with oil. I bet it would survive in each scenario.
At 50/50, if the fuel was evaporated off (you would have to stop often to check) you'd be operating at fairly high RPM with only 1.85 quarts of oil, don't think that would work out well, at some point, I would think, oil starvation would be an issue. Not a scenario I would like to experience.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
At 50/50, if the fuel was evaporated off (you would have to stop often to check) you'd be operating at fairly high RPM with only 1.85 quarts of oil, don't think that would work out well, at some point, I would think, oil starvation would be an issue. Not a scenario I would like to experience.
I didn't mean to test with 50% oil dilution AND in L. This would be the next stage II of this test. One step at a time. :thumbsup:

Running on half the oil, as long as the oil is relatively fresh, may not be optimal to do continuously, but is not terminal either. As long as the oil pressure light doesn't come on.....hakuna matata......especially if you lease.....

Just this past weekend I added over 2q of oil to my daughter's Camry, so it was about half full. Dipstick completely dry. She said the oil pressure light blinked when she once emergency braked.:hmm: I suggested to her to stop using her phone when driving and stop being lazy and check the oil once in a quarter year....

I had dry dipstick happen to me once or twice on my Mazda MPV minivan (Ford engine) while running long vacation trips of over 4000 miles after it started losing oil a bit (the leak on the oil pan was later fixed). Many years later I traded it in "running well" at well over 200 kmiles and 18 years of age.

Last edited:

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Regardless, I would surmise at least some effect, either immediate loss of function or at the least, some long-term durability issues. Having spent my automotive life trying to properly maintain engines/drivetrains and extend their useful lifespan, this whole topic & thread has become a theoretical exercise in seeing how much abuse a machine can take and is, largely, pointless, can't understand why someone would pay $20k or more for a quality automobile and then attempt to see just how hard they can push it until it fails. As Evolution999 said "This takes the cake, I'm done" Ditto! Another reason never to buy an off-lease car IMHO

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
can't understand why someone would pay $20k or more for a quality automobile and then attempt to see just how hard they can push it until it fails.
Because they can?

Because the devil made them do it?

Because they watched way too many Jackass episodes?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Regardless, I would surmise at least some effect, either immediate loss of function or at the least, some long-term durability issues. Having spent my automotive life trying to properly maintain engines/drivetrains and extend their useful lifespan, this whole topic & thread has become a theoretical exercise in seeing how much abuse a machine can take and is, largely, pointless, can't understand why someone would pay $20k or more for a quality automobile and then attempt to see just how hard they can push it until it fails. As Evolution999 said "This takes the cake, I'm done" Ditto! Another reason never to buy an off-lease car IMHO
Well, that's pretty much my opinion, but you contradict yourself just a little bit in this short post.
You call it a "pointless" theoretical exercise, while the OP and me are proposing real experiments, not theory and "everybody knows."
If there is someone willing to invest in experiments, (not me) why not ditch the "surmising," and get an empirical hard evidence?

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, that's pretty much my opinion, but you contradict yourself just a little bit in this short post.
You call it a "pointless" theoretical exercise, while the OP and me are proposing real experiments, not theory and "everybody knows."
If there is someone willing to invest in experiments, (not me) why not ditch the "surmising," and get an empirical hard evidence?
I'll own the contradiction, still think even if someone would actually do this, largely pointless, I'm sure Honda has done lots of abuse/endurance testing, we're driving the results of those tests, I'd rather spend my money on maintenance, more productive in the long run.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I take it this is a Troll post? because I have never read anything as stupid as this idea in a long time
Welcome to CivicX. I've been here since 2015 and nothing I read surprises me. :cool::eek::doh:
Sponsored