Rusoman

First Name
Jairus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SE
Country flag
Hi there, how far can I drive my 2.0L Civic in a full tank of gas at L gear? I need to know this because I'm planning a 2000 km (1250 miles) trip soon and this time I wanna drive in Low gear.

Gas stations are spread pretty far in this route that's why I have to plan this trip carefully.

Thanks a lot.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fuel range full tank of gas 20181216_123142
Sponsored

thebutcher

NSFW
First Name
The Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Chevy C10 custom deluxe, 2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited, 2019 Honda Civic Si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On the low side, a 13+ gallon tank with 30mpg will get me over 400 miles with half the trip doing 80mph.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Hi there, how far can I drive my 2.0L Civic in a full tank of gas at L gear? I need to know this because I'm planning a 2000 km (1250 miles) trip soon and this time I wanna drive in Low gear.

Gas stations are spread pretty far in this route that's why I have to plan this trip carefully.

Thanks a lot.

20181216_123142.jpg
Why in L?

OP
OP
Rusoman

Rusoman

First Name
Jairus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SE
Country flag
On the low side, a 13+ gallon tank with 30mpg will get me over 400 miles with half the trip doing 80mph.
Wow that is surprising, I didn't expect to get that much distance in L. It's only 65 miles less than D gear.

OP
OP
Rusoman

Rusoman

First Name
Jairus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SE
Country flag
Why in L?
Haha it's a personal challenge for me, also so I can test the limits of this car. I didn't use cruise control on this trip before, now I wanna drive in low gear.

thebutcher

NSFW
First Name
The Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Chevy C10 custom deluxe, 2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited, 2019 Honda Civic Si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don’t know why you’d drive in low either if your looking to save on gas. That would be like me driving in 3rd gear on the highway. The reason they started putting OD in auto transmissions was to lower the engine RPM’s to increase gas mileage.

OP
OP
Rusoman

Rusoman

First Name
Jairus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SE
Country flag
I don’t know why you’d drive in low either if your looking to save on gas. That would be like me driving in 3rd gear on the highway. The reason they started putting OD in auto transmissions was to lower the engine RPM’s to increase gas mileage.
I just wanna make it to the next gas station without drying up. I don't know either, I'm gonna decide if I'm gonna do it for the whole trip or not when I get there. I wanna know too if doing 4000 rpm for that much distance will have negative consequence or not.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You won’t do any damage... just burn more fuel than necessary and make a whole bunch of RPM noise.
No real need to “test the limits” of your car this way as Honda did all that sort of thing and much worse during the development stage of the car.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I think you may need a hobby :p

OP
OP
Rusoman

Rusoman

First Name
Jairus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SE
Country flag
I think you may need a hobby :p
Hahaha my hobby is looking at car's aerodynamic line and figuring out how the air would flow on it so I can wash it that way.
You won’t do any damage... just burn more fuel than necessary and make a whole bunch of RPM noise.
No real need to “test the limits” of your car this way as Honda did all that sort of thing and much worse during the development stage of the car.
Its so fun though driving in L, I feel like I have more control and I'm spreading more Honda love on the road haha.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
A 1,250 mile trip in entirely in L? Remind me to not smoke what you're smoking.

:doh:

You're gonna run much higher rpm's than you really need to. L is really only meant to be used in short-ish bursts. After your trip, be sure to report back with your gas mileage.

Also, you may want to invest in a CVT cooler before your trip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rusoman

Rusoman

First Name
Jairus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SE
Country flag
A 1250 mile trip in L? You're saying
it's a "personal challenge", huh? :hmm:

:doh:

Remind me to not smoke what you're smoking.​
I didn't realize its because of that. Is it? Lol
I'm also planning on visiting Honda factory on that same trip so I gotta arrive in style.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you get a chance at the factory, find a tech guy and get their opinion on you doing the entire 1,250 mile trip in L. :cool:

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Sheesh, just put it in D and use cruise control when possible, you should average in the high 30's to the mid 40's with ease. I usually stop for fuel between 380-420 miles to refuel and still have a safe reserve. Driving in L does nothing positive for your nerves, the car or fuel economy. Drive normally, see what your car is capable of and relax. Putting extra wear on your drivetrain by driving at 4000 rpm accomplishes nothing positive. Don't know if a Civic "SE" is a turbo, but running at higher rpm over a long distance just raises engine temperature, burns more fuel and, ultimately, increases wear & tear on the whole drivetrain, won't be a positive, long-term event for you or your Civic IMHO.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, he mentioned he has a 2.0, so no turbo.

Unfortunately, I have the feeling you and I injecting some reality into this isn't swaying the OP from his 1,250 mile trip in L idea.
Sponsored