eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
So they ran diagnostics and everything looks fine and the guy said he couldn't smell fuel, however he wants to get in touch with the other dealership to understand what code they ran (not sure what he meant). He suspects that they didn't put on a dummy hose somewhere on the fuel pump and in that case it may have compromised the fuel tank which they would then replace. I thought I read something about that here on another thread. Hope it isn't the case because I will probably be waiting a while. Though, I didn't put summer tires on because I didn't expect to drive the car that much this winter as I'm WFH, so I'm in no real rush fortunately.
Sponsored

OP
OP

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
They looked at the fuel pump and fuel tank area and everything checked out. He doesn't smell fuel, but I will double check that when I get my car back. They are about to run more function tests to make sure. He said the fuel smell may have been due to a temporary influx of fuel. He says if the function tests come back normal, he's going to button up and send me on my way. What do you all think? Any experienced techs here that can chime in?

Now the question is why did it have trouble starting that one time? IT was in my garage for a few days. Temperature changes? Still bothers me.

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
They looked at the fuel pump and fuel tank area and everything checked out. He doesn't smell fuel, but I will double check that when I get my car back. They are about to run more function tests to make sure. He said the fuel smell may have been due to a temporary influx of fuel. He says if the function tests come back normal, he's going to button up and send me on my way. What do you all think? Any experienced techs here that can chime in?

Now the question is why did it have trouble starting that one time? IT was in my garage for a few days. Temperature changes? Still bothers me.
That one time could be a fluke. See if it happens again? I’ve had my car not start randomly one time (daily driven, so no few days of no driving) while leaving a Noodles and Company. Didn’t happen again.

OP
OP

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
That one time could be a fluke. See if it happens again? I’ve had my car not start randomly one time (daily driven, so no few days of no driving) while leaving a Noodles and Company. Didn’t happen again.
Thanks. That gives me some peace of mind. I just never had that happen to me in a newish car so it threw me for a loop. But if the occasional glitch happens, I can live with it. As long as there are no underlying issues.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Thanks. That gives me some peace of mind. I just never had that happen to me in a newish car so it threw me for a loop. But if the occasional glitch happens, I can live with it. As long as there are no underlying issues.
Only time will tell. Note my car did not have a fuel pump recall. Hopefully it's just a fluke and it doesn't happen again.

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Sometimes hard starting can be linked to a low key fob. My car one day refused to start because my airpods were in my pocket with my fob.

Or your battery is going bad.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Sometimes hard starting can be linked to a low key fob. My car one day refused to start because my airpods were in my pocket with my fob.

Or your battery is going bad.
Normally it’ll tell me the signal is low in these scenarios though. Mine cranked, felt like it started then just died. Then it repeated cranking over and over again until I shut everything off then restarted it. Each failed crank left me in accessory mode.

Ctrdanny

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic type r
Country flag
I have a 2018 Type R, got the recall for the fuel pump back in June.

Had it done mid July. A few days after, it died in the middle of an intersection and I used the emergency towing to take it to the same dealership that did the recall. They said they didn't secure the fuel pump correctly.

Today, I the car had a hard time starting as if the there as something wrong with the starter. It finally started, but now I can smell a heavy smell of gasoline inside and out the cabin. This is what happened before the fuel pump totally died the last time. Obviously not safe to drive. I will have it towed to a different dealer (luckily a different one is the closest to my house)

So, 2 questions:
1. Will I get crap for using the emergency towing in this case, if the car technically does run still?
2. Are there lemon law implications here (I'm in PA)

Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Not cool...I expected a much better experience than this. Love the car but things have been a nightmare since I got the recall done.
Had the same issue happen to me, took my car for recall back in august, car dies a week later take it to Honda, then they replace the entire fuel pump assembly, after that motor blew and denied warranty to “cat back & intake” long story short went to the bureau and they said it was a lost case since my car was certified pre-owned and I had to pay out of pocket for a motor in other words Honda makes nice cars but they have a s*** service department...

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
He says if the function tests come back normal, he's going to button up and send me on my way. What do you all think? Any experienced techs here that can chime in?
I agree with the tech here. If it was a fuel related issue a P0087 (iirc) low fuel rail pressure code would have set and the check engine light would be on. I agree with another member that this could have been an intermittent key fob issue or a loss of key fob signal. The problem is the complaint must be able to be duplicated, we can't blindly throw parts at the car hoping to fix it (referred to as "shotgunning the car"). It opens up lemon law claims. The keyless access system allows 3 second starts when there is a system issue. The car will start, then die immediately in order for a tech to diagnose the difference between a starter failure and immobilizer failure. Not sure if this is what happened or it just cranked endlessly for 5 seconds then stopped.

The dummy hose people are referring to is a ORVR service plug. There is a vent tube inside the gas tank that connects to the fuel pump housing, you plug the hose during the service and submerge it in the tank. If you do not plug it and submerge the hose, fuel will get into this vent tube and cause a DTC and hose/gas tank replacement is necessary. This would not cause a no-start condition but would set an EVAP DTC later on.

Again, for anyone who still needs to do the recall, PLEASEEEEE bring in the vehicle on a near empty tank. Did a full tank one last week and fought it for like 2 hours getting gas everywhere.

Last edited:

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
after that motor blew and denied warranty to “cat back & intake” long story short went to the bureau and they said it was a lost case since my car was certified pre-owned and I had to pay out of pocket for a motor in other words Honda makes nice cars but they have a s*** service department...
This case sounds like it is missing details. We don't deny engine claims due to catback and intake. Intake only if due to hydro-lock engine damage. If you are tuned then that is why it was denied claim. Certified pre-owned extends the factory warranty, not sure why you had to pay unless the engine fault was deemed owner abuse/neglect/tampering etc.

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You had a technician that did not perform the recall properly. Sadly, this is common.

OP
OP

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just to put a final update here - I got my car back a few weeks ago and no new issues. I suppose I'll chalk up that one difficult start to a fluke as they ran a bunch of tests. Certainly my PTSD from the prior episode contributed to me getting this car towed.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I second the fuel level when coming in for a fuel pump recall. I did one on a fit and I threw a fit lol. If nothing turns on when hitting the start button. Try pressing the button in with the actual fob. When new cars come from the trailer, they take fuses out from the factory to prevent battery drain and what not, I have to push the button with the fob to start it if I don’t put the fuses in first.
Sponsored