Fuel overfill - Honda is aware and working on it?

ltmikepowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Accord Sedan LX V6, 12 Civic Sedan LX, 14 Accord Sedan LX, 16 Civic Sedan EX-L w Sensing
Country flag
Would love to hear more experiences after getting the TSB done. I'm planning to make an appointment this week to get this sucker fixed.

Are non 4-door owners not having this issue? I find it weird that it only says 4-door trims.
Its been two week after the fix for me (and I fill gas every week). Last Sunday I went to Costco gas, no leak. But the previous Monday, I went to a Mobil gas, leak. So it is hit or miss (I think the nozzle design has something with fuel leak too).
Sponsored

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
My advisor and the technician kept saying that the fuel lid cover is for the si only... I was getting nowhere. I had the filler part replaced at least. I didn't feel like making a scene for that $10 cover.

How much is the fuel lid cover only? I might just install that guy myself. But is it even necessary if it doesn't snow here?

Last edited:

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
Was hoping I could pick these up and do it myself, especially the cover that attaches to the fuel door but I can only find it for the sedan. No coupe parts.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
Oddly, my wife's sedan is really hard to fill without spilling gas, while my hatch is much less of a problem.

mathdydx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I got the TSB performed in March and I don't have any leakage anymore when the gas pump clicks. However, I still get a couple drops of gas coming out when I pull the pump out of the gas tank.

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I got the tsb done and there was a little bit spillage yesterday at Costco. Much less than before the fix. I've only filled up once since the fix.

gkpar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX 2016
Can't believe they didn't test this basic shit out.
Ok guys, I got the fuel shutter replaced in accordance with a TSB that Honda put out and it is perfect now. No more spills at CA gas stations. I would highly recommend getting the TSB fix for your car if you live in CA. Something about CA nozzles being shorter which caused overfills.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
Ok, our Civic has been spitting gas back at us out of the worthless capless filler since we got it new. The TSB came out in February, I believe, and by that point we already had over 36k miles on the car. No worries, the one time in our lives we ever bought an extended warranty was on this car.

I called last week to my local dealer, mentioned that I wanted to bring in the car for the fuel filler TSB. Sure thing, they said, they are aware of the issue.

I show up today. Service advisor wonders whether I'm needing a ride home. No, I say, when I scheduled the appointment, I told them I'd be waiting. I live too far away to really make it convenient to get a ride, anyway.

He responds with a sigh, as if it is a big PITA to have me wait, even though I scheduled today's visit as such. Fine, I can wait, but he won't know how much the charges will be at this point. Any rough idea, I inquire? I mean, for two years now we've been dealing with gas running down the side of the car. A touch miffed that I might have to pay out of pocket. I'd have to imagine I'm not the first person with a fuel filler issue. Well, he says, TSB are just a bulletin, and if it is out of warranty, too bad so sad. Fine, I have an extended warranty through Honda, I say. Well, they may or may not cover the repair, I'm told, and they won't know at this point whether it will be a warranty issue. I do manage to get out of him that they have seen some filler issues with Civics in the past, freezing up in cold, and leaking gas. So I'm apparently not the first rodeo in this regard for this service department.

Ok, so without being a dick, I raise the point that 1) I'm not super excited to potentially pay a bunch of money for something that has been effed up since day one and 2) I'm not real excited, if I do have to pay, not knowing what the amount is ahead of time. Is is $100 or $300? No idea, according to this guy. I find it a little tough to believe that with this common of an issue, he has no idea.

Well, bottom line, I'm told, until they diagnose that the fuel filler is indeed defective, they can't promise what the fix is, or if I'm on the hook for the fix, or what any potential $ might be.

At this point I'm wondering how they plan on diagnosing the issue. Maybe I get a free tank of gas? I mean, they have to fill the car up to make it spew gas. I seriously consider just asking for my keys back, and ordering the fuel neck parts at my own expense and attempting a DIY.

The guy grumbles and types and hem haws around for a while. Good news, I'm told. IF ( big IF here ) the fuel filler neck is the problem, my extended warranty will cover it. But they still won't know until they dig in there and diagnose it. If it isn't the filler neck (that everyone who owns a Civic knows is garbage), might be on me.

Goodness gracious, fine. Whatever. Why did I expect something this common and minor to go smoothly, with no hassle?

So I am taken to the waiting area. 20 minutes later, the guy comes back. They decided just to make the call without diagnosis, and order me the parts. This is said to me in a tone that makes it clear they think they are doing me a huge favor. Then, the guy proceeds to tell me that the repair takes two hours, but they will only get reimbursed for one hour from Honda. Ok, not my problem, why are you making this an issue to me? That's your problem with Honda. If they aren't reimbursing you properly for warranty work, it isn't my issue, quite frankly. His tone is irritating me at this point. I just want my car fixed that has been defective for 42k miles.

They order parts. I have to come back in a few days. I mean, why would you stock a few filler neck repair kits for the hundreds of '16+ Civics that roll through your service department in a month? That would make too much sense.

End of my rant. To be continued next week. I'm sure I'll get some kind of survey on today's visit, and they'll expect "all fives".

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Some of the advisors are a pain. They always say they have to diagnose it. The tech just said there's a tsb and ordered the parts. Annoying thing is that they refused to install the cover claiming that my car isn't a SI.

rayC33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 2007 Acura Tl Type S
Have a 2016 civic coupe. Had the gas smell in the garage everytime after fillup, took a while to figure out something was wrong as my daughter has the car at school but when home after she fills up the smell is so strong. Seems others have the same problem. Anyway have an appmt this weekend. What do people have to say to get them to fix this. There has been no recall and the one TSB I saw was for the sedan. Any advice from someone that went through the process would help. Also does it fix the problem? Thanks in advance.

rayC33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had the update, next fill up same gas smell. Wonder if they installed the fix or just returned the car back. Same gas station my Acura with no gas cap never has the spillover or gas smell parking it back in the garage. I will bring it back but this is not great.

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Had the update, next fill up same gas smell. Wonder if they installed the fix or just returned the car back. Same gas station my Acura with no gas cap never has the spillover or gas smell parking it back in the garage. I will bring it back but this is not great.
The update is for the spilling, not gas smell

But easy way would be to look at the capless gas filler, the S/N should be different on the new one.

rayC33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The update is for the spilling, not gas smell

But easy way would be to look at the capless gas filler, the S/N should be different on the new one.
The gas smell is a result of spillage. No spillage no gas smell. That's the issue. Living in NJ you can't fill your own car with gas and you shouldn't have to instruct the gas attendant how to fill the tank, not that they would want to hear it anyway. It's an issue, first car I have owned that had this issue. The update they did made no difference. Just cant be good to have gas run through the drain and spill over to the paint.

rayC33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The gas smell is a result of spillage. No spillage no gas smell. That's the issue. Living in NJ you can't fill your own car with gas and you shouldn't have to instruct the gas attendant how to fill the tank, not that they would want to hear it anyway. It's an issue, first car I have owned that had this issue. The update they did made no difference. Just cant be good to have gas run through the drain and spill over to the paint.

Probably not good in general for gas to drip through the drain hole, wheel well and into the ground.

Frixos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MINI Cooper R56, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
I went to the dealer today and told them about my fuel spill problem (it sometimes spills on my paint, even after waiting 5 seconds),
and the dealer said they have no way to check it since there is no pump. But I informed the service guy there's a service bulletin out for it, and then he decided to write it down and take it.
I'm glad I knew about it from this forum. We'll see what they say tomorrow!
Sponsored