capsule3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Hey all, I’m new to the forum and civics in general. I bought a sport touring CVT hatchback, and I’m loving it, but I have a question regarding the fuel consumption. I average about 33 mpg according to the computer. At a tank size of 12.4 gallons, I should be getting 400+ miles per tank, but I only seem to get in the low 300’s. The strange thing is that I have ran the car until the tank was basically empty, and when I filled it up it only took 10.8 gallons, but the gauge showed full. Any ideas?
Sponsored

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Your MPG # will vary based on driving habit and driving route. Do you drive in both city and highway? If so, 33 MPG is pretty good (or standard). For reference, my trip computer says 31 MPG average (40/60 city/highway split).

Even if the "empty" light is on, there would still be some reserve fuel in the tank. In other words, cars are designed so that you should never run 100% empty. Again, your range depends on driving habit/route. I can drive ~525 km (roughly 330 miles) before the computer reminds me to refuel.

Most of the time, I refuel when there's only 5 - 10% left on the fuel gauge. Even then, I would only fill up about 38 litres (10 gallons) to full.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
Never trust the onboard computer for mileage calculations. Always calculate it yourself, or use an app that tracks/calculates this for you.
The difference is reserve fuel - every car has this, but obviously some cars are designed w/ bigger reserve tanks than others.

OP
OP

capsule3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I’m very happy with 33 mpg, if that’s actually correct. And based on my manual calculation that’s pretty spot on. I figured there’s a reserve fuel amount, but at almost 2 gallons that would be a fair size. Thanks for the input everyone!

shadowspar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Hatch LX CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I don't think I've ever managed to get more than 11 gallons into my Civic at a fill, and then only when I ran it for quite some time after the gas light was on. My usual fill-ups come in at around 10.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
The most I've filled up is 9.8 gallons, and I usually fill up when the gas light goes on.

OP
OP

capsule3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I’m usually around 10 as well for fill up. I was only at 10.8 cause I waited until I had no miles left until empty. I guess it’s nice to know that you could drive at least another 30+ miles on E.

JMT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
MPG is lower with winter grade gasoline. The computer about will give you a few gallons left before the indicator comes on.
I do some highway and a lot of stop and go and in summer I was at average 39 MPG and this winter it is about 35 PPG.

OP
OP

capsule3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
My MPG rating is consistent at 33ish, it’s just that the gauge is showing E much sooner than it should based on expected mileage and fill up amount. It’s probably what others have said, they were just very generous with the amount of extra fuel left at E.

cktx8388

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I tend to average 35 mixed highway and street. I've gotten it as high as 44 on a long road trip. So it all really depends on how you drive it.

OP
OP

capsule3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
But the average mpg has nothing to do with the fact that, when on E, the engine will only accept 11ish gallons of fuel, not the full 12.4.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I'm only getting about 20mpg since all my driving is local stop and go. The 40mpg figure is for highway cruising at 55mph.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I'm only getting about 20mpg since all my driving is local stop and go. The 40mpg figure is for highway cruising at 55mph.
Highway cruising at 70mph will give around 40mpg. 55mph will be around 50mpg.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
Hey all, I’m new to the forum and civics in general. I bought a sport touring CVT hatchback, and I’m loving it, but I have a question regarding the fuel consumption. I average about 33 mpg according to the computer. At a tank size of 12.4 gallons, I should be getting 400+ miles per tank, but I only seem to get in the low 300’s. The strange thing is that I have ran the car until the tank was basically empty, and when I filled it up it only took 10.8 gallons, but the gauge showed full. Any ideas?
I know what you mean man. Has a 47 liter tank can drive it till I have 20km range (equal to about 1 liter). Yet can only fill it with 38 liters at most.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Hah, I wish. I average 24 mpg in mixed city/highway/I-hope-there-are-no-cops-around driving.
Sponsored