Fuel Injector Cleaning

lurpTdurp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Hatch LX
I've done a quick check and couldn't find the answer so far. Let me know if there's another thread.

I'm used to maintaining high-mileage fleet trucks at ridiculously altered maintenance schedules - oil change every 3k miles, fuel additives every oil change, replace engine air filter every other oil change.

This is my first "fresh off the lot" vehicle. I have the maintenance schedule for her, so no questions there, but i'm curious about fuel injection cleaners and other additives for brand new vehicles. I only use regular TopTier gasoline and alternate Eco on and off dependent on how frisky i'm feelin'. I'm not a car guy so i don't know if that even matters.

When do i start adding them?
How often should i pop them in the tank for preventative maintenance?
Which brands should i look at? (currently using Lucas in fleet vehicles)
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I've never found a definitive answer. The fuel additive directions say to use them every tank, but that gets expensive. Since I bought my new car, I have been using them once per oil change. My previous car, I only used them once per year and didn't have any injector issues. But I figured I should play it a bit safer this time.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Been using Lucas for years.... Usually add a few ounces at least once a month or whenever I think about it. I have over 300k on my 2004 Civic and have never had any injector or fuel related problems.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Never on a properly maintained vehicle.
Use top tier fuel (like you’re doing) and don’t bother with additives.
Let it warm up before you romp on it and make sure the other essential fluids are topped up.
I’ve used no fuel system additives ever in 18 years with my Boxster and don’t plan on using any on the new Civic either.

I did use a bottle of Techron once... on the ex wife’s shitbox Quad4 Grand Am to deal with an off idle hesitation and cleared it up nicely. But it was a 12 year old high-mileage turd at that point.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Never on a properly maintained vehicle.
Use top tier fuel (like you’re doing) and don’t bother with additives.
Let it warm up before you romp on it and make sure the other essential fluids are topped up.
I’ve used no fuel system additives ever in 18 years with my Boxster and don’t plan on using any on the new Civic either.

I did use a bottle of Techron once... on the ex wife’s shitbox Quad4 Grand Am to deal with an off idle hesitation and cleared it up nicely. But it was a 12 year old high-mileage turd at that point.
Grand Am, shitbox? Turd? No way. That is one cool car.:drive:

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag
Yup...top tier fuels have additives in them to keep the system clean. Nothing extra is needed. This is coming from an engineer in the fuel business. It’s not me, but a guy on the Corvette Forums.
I run seafoam through my 06 cobalt every 40 or 50k. I have 213k on it running a steady diet of cheap 87 octane Speedway gas.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I read that the more additives you put in after the fact, the faster it breaks down your motor oil. I'd just stick to top tier gas and worry about the injectors once you get closer to 100k. DI motors will need a different type of cleaning when it gets to that point since the injectors are in the cylinders.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Can these injectors not be pulled out like spark plugs can? Pardon me if I sound ill-informed.

Can they not be pulled out easily to spray cleaner on them?

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I use what I call "crapogas." It's 87 octane from less well-known gas bars in western Canada, I prefer not to name names, but if you live in Alberta or Saskatchewan you'd know which outlets I'm referring to.

I asked such outlet about whether they use detergents in their gas, and to paraphrase the response I got back: 'All octane gas in Canada contains engine cleaning detergents added to them to prevent deposit buildup in the engine. The standards are set out by the Canadian General Standards Board.'

Canadians, any thoughts? This probably applies to you as well if you're in Eastern Canada. Could this be true?

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I read that the more additives you put in after the fact, the faster it breaks down your motor oil. I'd just stick to top tier gas and worry about the injectors once you get closer to 100k. DI motors will need a different type of cleaning when it gets to that point since the injectors are in the cylinders.
That's why I only do it once per oil change. But I guess I should do it right before my oil change instead of right after. :)

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
Toyota uses dual injection(port and direct) to help prevent carbon build up. Anyone know what Honda does to prevent this?

Last edited:

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
And after that the injectors can be removed and manipulated by hand and cleaned? I'd like to try this after my warranty expires, which is quite soon.
I've never done it, but there are videos on YouTube. Search for "cleaning fuel injectors manually".