First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Hi,

Long-time lurker in this forum. I've had my FK8 for just over a year and seem to have cleaned it more times than driving lately!

It's actually been warm in the UK over the last few days and this might be something to do with my problem. Details below, but had a problem with fuel spilling out of the filler cap on a warm afternoon. Could be expansion in the heat, but not sure how I got that much fuel in the system in the first place.

Details

Filled up on Sunday, usual process and did not notice anything strange. Filled to the click, no obvious leakage. Drove about 10 miles home, didn't hang about, so if it was brimming, some fuel would have been used.

Parked on my drive, which is on a slope, facing uphill - exactly where it has been parked every day for the last 13 months. Later in the day, I could smell petrol/gas and assumed someone what using a mower or strimmer. Went out in the evening and realised the small was coming from my car and there was a puddle on the floor Hose everything down and assumed it was some overflow from filling that had got out. no obvious leakage occurring.

Next day, no leakage overnight. Got to mid-day and I could smell fuel again. Went out to seek dripping by the rear wheel. Open the filler cover to see fuel coming out of the filler hole. Poked the flap and lots more fuel came out!!

Rolled back onto the flat, hosed it all down and cleaned the mess. Took it for a long drive to use up some fuel and it seems ok now. Waiting for the dealer to call me back.

Can't understand how this is possible. It was filled when it was hot and I used fuel to get home. It might have warmed up a bit, but would not expect that much expansion. Any ideas?
Sponsored