Front suspension thunk/clunk sound

greg_in_canada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
My car sometimes makes a thunk or clunk sound when driving. Sometimes it's from driving through a small dip (front suspension compresses), sometimes from cresting a hump (front suspension relaxes). Sometime from quick back and forth "slalom steering", sometimes from turning a corner at slow speed.

But other times the exact same spot in the road or steering motion will do nothing. The noise started a month ago, did it about five times, then went away until yesterday.

I don't want to take it to the dealer until I'm sure they can reproduce the problem. Don't want a "no problem found" result.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so what was the cause?

Thanks - Greg
Sponsored

milosays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
My car sometimes makes a thunk or clunk sound when driving. Sometimes it's from driving through a small dip (front suspension compresses), sometimes from cresting a hump (front suspension relaxes). Sometime from quick back and forth "slalom steering", sometimes from turning a corner at slow speed.

But other times the exact same spot in the road or steering motion will do nothing. The noise started a month ago, did it about five times, then went away until yesterday.

I don't want to take it to the dealer until I'm sure they can reproduce the problem. Don't want a "no problem found" result.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so what was the cause?

Thanks - Greg
I've actually been 'thinking' I've been having the same issue. I hear it mostly on the left side, and 3 times now it seems like the right side suspension has "slipped", sorta like when you're walking and one of your legs goes week and slips out from under you momentarily. The noise and slippage is so prominent, I had my dealer inspect and road test it, since I wanted to make sure nothing was falling off, especially since I thought I heard a bolt roll down the underside of my car (tho I haven't had them check that yet!). But being that my Touring was one of the first 1000 built, and they missed installing 2 tweeter rear speakers already, Im still wondering what else missed that Quality inspection process! My dealer was so good, the tech took the service manager on the road test with the test equipment to have the real time results. Fortunately, no indication of anything wrong. Hopefully, everything is still screwed together properly.

In any case, take it to your dealer to have them look at the issue, but more importantly, to have them document it. So if something DOES happen in the future, you have a case history that you can fall back on if necessary.

OP
OP

greg_in_canada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I'll take it in soon. It just would be so much better if I could produce the noise reliability.

OP
OP

greg_in_canada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
In any case, take it to your dealer to have them look at the issue, but more importantly, to have them document it. So if something DOES happen in the future, you have a case history that you can fall back on if necessary.
The problem became more repeatable this week so I got an appointment for today. I was barely at work and they called to say my car was ready. They found five rocks trapped in the splash shield between the lower control arm and sub frame.

They asked me if I drove on a lot of gravel roads. None actually. It's the parking lot at work. It's full of big gravel that shoots up no matter how slow you drive.

They fixed my car for free but said I'd have to pay next time. So I'll have to figure out how to remove the gravel myself. Or find a new job. :)
Sponsored