Front suspension clunk?!?!

msfsx1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Aegean Blue Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
Big update here - by absolute accident I applied the brakes while going over some bumps and uneven road and the noise went away. I repeat: I only heard the noise when going over bumps and uneven surfaces, then when applying brakes it went away. Just brought it to my mechanic and he took a look at the brakes and noticed the caliper pins were upside down on both sides.

My previous mechanic had just done the brakes a few weeks ago, but I simultaneously did the struts and mounts (it’s a whole story As I said before in my previous post…)

I also did the ball joint.. so this issue has cost me nearly 2k altogether.

Anyways my solution was simply switching up the caliper pins and wallah the car is SILENT over bumps now even though I’ve had three mechanic beleive it must be the struts, mounts, or links. And also never going back to my previous mechanic who did the brakes and struts… Hope this helps some of you or even one of you with the issue.

I’m watching the thread if anyone has follow up questions happy to help as best as I can
Had a similar sound, found your post and it inspired me to check the noise under braking. Dealer says it was aftermarket brake pads that were slightly too small and moving around in the caliper. Noise is gone now!
Sponsored

Civic816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic ex
Country flag
Had a similar sound, found your post and it inspired me to check the noise under braking. Dealer says it was aftermarket brake pads that were slightly too small and moving around in the caliper. Noise is gone now!
I’m glad it was helpful! That’s awesome. I still have some very mild clunking and I assume those aftermarket pads are what is causing the additional noise. Gonna live with it until they’re worn down a bit but that’s the last time I ever let that happen! It’s driving me crazy.

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
I am also experiencing an annoying clunk. Dealership did the rear main seal about a year ago and I've heard it ever since. It's gotten a little bit worse and now there is a symptom of binding on occasion. Wondering if it's the axle.

Can anyone confirm whether there should be play on the passenger side axle? It's fairly easy to reach from the engine bay. I have lateral and vertical play. [edit...slight play is normal]

Last edited:

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
So I'm looking through the service manual and I'm wondering what's the chance that the tech forgot to put this set ring back in...

Honda Civic 10th gen Front suspension clunk?!?! Capture.JPG

From looking up the parts diagram, this part number appears to be 44319-STX-A60.

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
Want to give my final update...it was the passenger side stopper link. I was able to twist it by grabbing the middle shaft. I wasn't able with the driver side. Grabbed a 5mm hex and a crow foot wrench and was able to turn with my torque wrench set to 70 N.m. After torquing, I wasn't able to twist the link anymore. Went to drive it and clunk is GONE. I only torqued the nut that was bottom facing. Couldn't get the top one because I wanted to have my wheels loaded so I set it up cribs.

The coincidence of the nut working loose just around the time I had my rear main seal done is just not believable. What I'm thinking is the tech only loosened this one to do the rear main seal and did not torque it back to spec and plus reused the self-locking nut when the service manual clearly said to use a new one.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front suspension clunk?!?! Capture.JPG

Last edited:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Want to give my final update...it was the passenger side stopper link. I was able to twist it by grabbing the middle shaft. I wasn't able with the driver side. Grabbed a 5mm hex and a crow foot wrench and was able to turn with my torque wrench set to 70 N.m. After torquing, I wasn't able to twist the link anymore. Went to drive it and clunk is GONE. I only torqued the nut that was bottom facing. Couldn't get the top one because I had wanted to have my wheels loaded so I set it up cribs.

The coincidence of the nut working loose just around the time I had my rear main seal done is just not believable. What I'm thinking is the tech only loosened this one to do the rear main seal and did not torque it back to spec and plus reused the self-locking nut when the service manual clearly said to use a new one.

Capture.JPG
Nice find glad you shared the info.