Front Struts

jeffbatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan, 2000 S2000
how are people getting these out?

No matter what I do I still have like a inch of the lower body still in the knuckle.

Argh.
Sponsored

MinhQP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

No matter what I do I still have like a inch of the lower body still in the knuckle.

Argh.
I had someone come and push down on the lower arm with their foot and was able to get it to slide out.

OP
OP

jeffbatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gave up for today. Can't get it any closer to like a inch where I need to.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Argh.
It was definitely a pain. Make sure you have the 3 bolts out near the lower ball joint. Be careful not to bang anything into the edge of your fender.

OP
OP

jeffbatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks...did you pop out any of the ball joints or just do those three bolts down there?

Trying to avoid doing ball joints as I tend to rip the boots.

Last edited:

OP
OP

jeffbatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got it. Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately tore my driver's side
CV boot a bit. Ugh.

Hobgoblin985

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got it. Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately tore my driver's side
CV boot a bit. Ugh.
How do you put the strut back in I can't get it to seat right for the life of me

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
I recently finished reinstalling my struts, when I swapped in SI springs. I just tapped on top of the knuckle very gently with a rubber mallet and it dropped right off. Just make sure you unclip the abs sensor wire before doing so.

Also, you will have to remove the ball joint from the lower control arm to get it completely out, but be careful not to pull out the inner cv joint.

Perhaps though, you could try using compressors on the spring while it's still on the car and then press up on the spring seat with a jack and a plank of wood to get it out. I did this on my old MK4 new beetle, which pinches the strut just like the civic. I didn't feel the need to do it on this car though, it only took me 2 hours to get everything done.

And yes I had a micro tear in both outer cv boots, but I successfully repaired it with RTV and F4 self-fusing silicone tape. No leaks after 100+ miles. Good luck.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
How do you put the strut back in I can't get it to seat right for the life of me
I pulled the ball joint off the control arm, lowered down the knuckle, then put the strut into the knuckle(make sure you have the notch inserted into the groove), then lifted it up into the strut tower. Then partially thread a nut onto the longer bolt so you have play, align the knuckle, then press up until the strut goes all the way into the knuckle, then reattach the ball joint. Hand tighten the strut tower bolts.

Again, be careful not pull the knuckle out too far! It's very easy to do so on these cars.

After that, take a jack and apply load to one side of the suspension at a time, then torque the bolts to spec. Don't fully torque the strut tower bolts until the wheels are back on and the car is on a level surface.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front Struts IMG_1946.JPG

boibuddha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's pretty difficult to do alone, I would recommend getting someone to help.
With the knuckle disconnected from the control arm and the tie rod, I slid the strut into the knuckle while it was resting on my ramp.
Then I got the help (GF) to fasten the strut to car while I held it up.
Push the LCA down, line up the ball joint bolts with LCA holes and release the LCA.

Hobgoblin985

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's pretty difficult to do alone, I would recommend getting someone to help.
With the knuckle disconnected from the control arm and the tie rod, I slid the strut into the knuckle while it was resting on my ramp.
Then I got the help (GF) to fasten the strut to car while I held it up.
Push the LCA down, line up the ball joint bolts with LCA holes and release the LCA.
Ok so it's starting to make sense why I couldn't get it don't I think it's because I left the LCA connected just not bolted on so the knuckle wouldn't tilt enough to seat properly. Hopefully this was the issue I will try it when I get he in a few

Hobgoblin985

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok so it's starting to make sense why I couldn't get it don't I think it's because I left the LCA connected just not bolted on so the knuckle wouldn't tilt enough to seat properly. Hopefully this was the issue I will try it when I get he in a few
Ok I got it back together but the top hat but is spinning so far I used a regular wrench. I hear you need an impact wrench but is that really going to help it from just spinnspiingng in place?

boibuddha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok I got it back together but the top hat but is spinning so far I used a regular wrench. I hear you need an impact wrench but is that really going to help it from just spinnspiingng in place?
Are you talking about taking the top hat off the strut? For that, it's easier to break that loose when it's still on the car. Otherwise you'll need an impact gun or rig up something to hold the strut.

If you're trying to tighten it down all the way, you'll need an Allen key or socket (6mm I think) to turn the shaft and something to hold the 17mm nut still (I used a Vice grip pliers with paper to hold a 17 mm socket, I then used the Allen key socket to turn the shaft)
Sponsored