Front speakers vs Rear Speakers

Anthonyjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Before I installed anything other than the speakers in the car I noticed that the BACK speakers in my rear deck sounded awful compared to the front speakers. Does anyone have any documented facts that the front speakers have a different signal being sent to them than to the back speakers? It still sounded awful even with all 4 new speakers installed.

It is seriously a night and day difference. After I tapped into the rears with my AUDIO CONTROL unit, the back speakers sounded incredible, but that signal was altered a little. Im going to finally connect my front speakers to my amp as well (I didn't do that yet). Im contemplating using the front speakers for the signal rather than the rear.

Did anyone else notice the difference in sound quality from the front to the rear? even with stock???
Sponsored

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The rear speakers are far inferior to the fronts. About half the size too. The sound difference has alot to do with the Honda "sound staging" bull crap.

I'm thinking about replacing mine with some good 6X9 speakers and a small amp. I don't mind cutting the rear dash to accommodate the new speakers, but I wonder how hard the rear deck cover and inner rear side pillar covers are to remove without breaking something. Anybody know? Any tips?

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bumping this thread. Does anyone know if the rear deck speakers from the upper model will fit in the LX Coupe? I can't really tell by the pics. I'm thinking the premium speakers might sound better than my stocks even with my factory radio. Might be enough difference for me anyway, as long as they're plug & play. It's either that, or find some aftermarket replacements, and wire an amp.

Last edited:

beanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t
Country flag
In the EX-T, the front and rear speakers are identical. I just pulled them all out and replaced them with Polk. Don't know about the LX, sorry.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the EX-T, the front and rear speakers are identical. I just pulled them all out and replaced them with Polk. Don't know about the LX, sorry.
The LX Coupe has smaller speakers in the back compared to the front. I guess they did it that way because of the slightly shorter rear end. My rear speakers look like they are about equal to 5.25" speakers, maybe even 4.5". The fronts are usually about 6.5" I think. Anybody with a touring Coupe mind taking a pic of the under side of the rear dash and posting it? I'll know by looking if they are the same or bigger.

Last edited:

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Different part numbers between the Sedan and Coupe rear speakers.
Honda Civic 10th gen Front speakers vs Rear Speakers Capture.PNG Sedan
Honda Civic 10th gen Front speakers vs Rear Speakers Capture 2.PNG Coupe
As you can see, the Sedan rears are 17 cm like the front, and the coupe only has 12 cm due to the shorter deck. That's also why the 3rd brakelight is an LED and relocated to the roof.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Different part numbers between the Sedan and Coupe rear speakers.
Capture.PNG Sedan
Capture 2.PNG Coupe
As you can see, the Sedan rears are 17 cm like the front, and the coupe only has 12 cm due to the shorter deck. That's also why the 3rd brakelight is an LED and relocated to the roof.
I wonder though in the Touring Coupe has "upgraded" 12 cm speakers compared to mine? I don't mind using aftermarket, but I prefer plug and play if possible.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I wonder though in the Touring Coupe has "upgraded" 12 cm speakers compared to mine? I don't mind using aftermarket, but I prefer plug and play if possible.
Yup, the Coupe LX Rear speakers are Part No.39120-TDE-J01 $45 retail
Coupe Touring speakers are Part No. 39120-TDE-J51 $85 retail
Both are made by Foster which is a wholesale Japanese electronics company. Speakers will be under the Honda brand though. Based on the parts catalogue, they should fit and bolt right down but whether it messes with your electronics or whether the 160 watt system has enough power to handle it is another question.

CosmicSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
just curious beanko, did you just replace the speakers (no amp?) did that make a big sound improvement?

beanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t
Country flag
just curious beanko, did you just replace the speakers (no amp?) did that make a big sound improvement?
I did the speakers and a 4 channel amp, so I can't tell you how much of a difference just speakers will do. All said and done, it sounds great. Polks were $100 a pair, $140 for a Kicker amp.

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
Whatever speakers you install will not be much improvement if any, unless you also put an amp in. And if you add an amp, the factory size will be fine. My car has the front and rear getting the same signal out of the amp, because the factory rear output is not very good.

I went with JBL components front and rear, but factory size.
Sponsored