Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2004 TW EP3
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hey guys,

I'm not really sure what the status of my front rotors are. Got some weird concentric lines on the rotor after a track day and not sure what it means. Does the rotor need to be replaced?

And ofc yes, the stock pads will be replaced with XP8s immediately.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front rotors fitment issue? (updated) IMG_20210411_194204
Honda Civic 10th gen Front rotors fitment issue? (updated) IMG_20210411_194227
Honda Civic 10th gen Front rotors fitment issue? (updated) IMG_20210411_194255

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Hard to tell from the pics how deep those grooves are. They don't look abnormal though. More importantly, do you feel any vibrations and what is the thickness? If theyre anywhere near min thickness, you may as well swap them out when you replace the pads.

Jotun

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2020 BMW M2c , 2020 LR Defender 110
Country flag
The lines are clearly from your wear indicators. The stock drilled rotors are good for a track day or two and then trash.

OP
OP
sobabe

sobabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The lines are clearly from your wear indicators. The stock drilled rotors are good for a track day or two and then trash.
Agreed that the lines are from the pad indicator, but why do you suggest the rotor is good for a couple more track days?

Jotun

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2020 BMW M2c , 2020 LR Defender 110
Country flag
Agreed that the lines are from the pad indicator, but why do you suggest the rotor is good for a couple more track days?
I meant that they are good for one or two track days total. ?

Arrowspeed

First Name
Khuram
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5T
Country flag
The only way to identity your rotor is, If you feel a throbbing pulsation in brake paddle while reducing higher speed abruptly / coming to dead stop.... lets see going on 160km/hr and trying to come down to 70km/hr. These lines are normal if they are not felt uneven with finger nail.

OP
OP
sobabe

sobabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The only way to identity your rotor is, If you feel a throbbing pulsation in brake paddle while reducing higher speed abruptly / coming to dead stop.... lets see going on 160km/hr and trying to come down to 70km/hr. These lines are normal if they are not felt uneven with finger nail.
They're pretty uneven, at least a millimeter between the peaks and valleys of the concentric rings. I'll not be using em anymore.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Believe these grooves are normal for OEM drilled rotors. Had the same on mine on just regular street driving before upgraded to Girodiscs. On a side note, all of the rocks getting stuck in the brake dust shield went away when ditched the stock rotors.

Can probably keep going until reaching minimum thickness 30mm.

racer01

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Believe these grooves are normal for OEM drilled rotors. Had the same on mine on just regular street driving before upgraded to Girodiscs. On a side note, all of the rocks getting stuck in the brake dust shield went away when ditched the stock rotors.

Can probably keep going until reaching minimum thickness 30mm.

Totally agree. Been tracking cars for 20 years and that just looks like uneven pad deposition from overheated stock pads. I'd hit them with some fine grit sand paper and street drive on xp8's which will likely remove the remaining stock pad material.

Worst case it you try it and still need new rotors, but I'd expect them to heat cycle out (hairline cracks typically propagating from the holes) before hitting min thickness.

AngryLettuce

First Name
Badger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
Change your pads for something more aggressive like yellowstuff and see if the discs smooth out again. I totally agree with above that you should measure disc thickness.
If they were my discs, I'd be treating my car to a new set along with pads. All budgets considered though, so if you can only afford pads you should buy some as you need them anyway.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Besides the scraping from the indicator strip, the rotor looks like any other 17-19 Type R rotor after a small while. So I do agree with the others, if you don’t feel unevenness in the rotor itself and it’s good thickness I’d be perfectly fine running it again.

OP
OP
sobabe

sobabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Got the rotors replaced with oems along with the pads (GLOC r10).

More noobie questions though: why do the endurance pads have a much smaller surface area than the oem pads? Is this by design?

Honda Civic 10th gen Front rotors fitment issue? (updated) IMG_20210514_174507

This looks really strange to me tbh, as if these rotors werent meant for these pads. Would love some input.

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
it seems small compare to the pad I have. So, after bedding, you should see the nice heat mark on the rotor cover the most area except the very inner part. It seems like the pad of you only used half of the whole rotor area, which is what I never see.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front rotors fitment issue? (updated) IMG_20210514_182948_736

OP
OP
sobabe

sobabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I gave GLOC a call and they said this is normal fitment. Seems a bit strange since theres a lot of surface area not covered but let's see how it goes.
Sponsored