Front license plate

schen72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura RL Tech, 2008 Acura RDX Tech, 2016 Acura ILX Tech A-SPEC
Does anyone know how the front plate is attached? Does it require drilling holes in the bumper? When/if I finally make a deal that is reasonable (SF bay area is apparently in a bubble state right now - MSRP only!) I want to make sure there are no holes in the bumper. Thanks.
Sponsored

scotteh20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Pilot SE 4WD, 2007 Yamaha FZ6
Country flag
Does anyone know how the front plate is attached? Does it require drilling holes in the bumper? When/if I finally make a deal that is reasonable (SF bay area is apparently in a bubble state right now - MSRP only!) I want to make sure there are no holes in the bumper. Thanks.
I'm in the South Bay as well. I believe they use large self tapping screws. I took the front bracket for the license plate off and now there are two small'ish holes in the front bumper. I still think it looks nice, and I don't think most people will even notice the holes.

Since CA requires you have the front plate mounted I'm sure it's a requirement for dealers to have the brackets installed when you role off the lot. Plus it's free advertising until you get your plates from the DMV.

Give Concord Honda a try. Request a quote online. I picked up my EX-T without Honda Sensing middle of last month for at least $2k under MSRP (Quoted $20,991, which included the destination fee). I worked with Ali Maloky, who is their internet sales director. He threw in a Honda cargo tray as well. I also bought a 2015 Pilot through him last May and he sold that vehicle at a reasonable price as well. It's worth a shot I guess. It was a no brainier for me to make the drive to Concord, especially since it was black on black like I wanted and my lease was ending.

Good luck in your search! Hope you find someone to sell you the new Civic at a decent price.

Last edited:

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Yeah, I shouldn't have been so blithe about "drilling". But they do put holes in the bumper skin that aren't there when they start. Poking, maybe?

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Just be glad your dealer only drilled in 2 holes. Mine put in 3 after I specifically said "no front license plate." How I missed that on inspection before driving away, arggg... was too tunnel visioned on chips, etc.

Angela1256

First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EXL
Country flag
My dealer here in SoCal didn't put the front plate on their cars for aesthetic reasons and just gave me the kit. I really don't like how we are required to have both plates on, the front looks so much better without it.

OP
OP

schen72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura RL Tech, 2008 Acura RDX Tech, 2016 Acura ILX Tech A-SPEC
I'm in the South Bay as well. I believe they use large self tapping screws. I took the front bracket for the license plate off and now there are two small'ish holes in the front bumper. I still think it looks nice, and I don't think most people will even notice the holes.

Since CA requires you have the front plate mounted I'm sure it's a requirement for dealers to have the brackets installed when you role off the lot. Plus it's free advertising until you get your plates from the DMV.

Give Concord Honda a try. Request a quote online. I picked up my EX-T without Honda Sensing middle of last month for at least $2k under MSRP (Quoted $20,991, which included the destination fee). I worked with Ali Maloky, who is their internet sales director. He threw in a Honda cargo tray as well. I also bought a 2015 Pilot through him last May and he sold that vehicle at a reasonable price as well. It's worth a shot I guess. It was a no brainier for me to make the drive to Concord, especially since it was black on black like I wanted and my lease was ending.

Good luck in your search! Hope you find someone to sell you the new Civic at a decent price.
I've bought 3 Acuras previously and on each of them, the design of the front plate did not require drilling into the bumper. I also requested they not attach the front plate as I think it looks ugly. I've been driving for 27 years and never had an issue with a missing front plate. At least in the south bay, cops really don't care. I also have 30% tint on the front windows of all my cars and that's never caused a problem.

scotteh20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Pilot SE 4WD, 2007 Yamaha FZ6
Country flag
I've bought 3 Acuras previously and on each of them, the design of the front plate did not require drilling into the bumper. I also requested they not attach the front plate as I think it looks ugly. I've been driving for 27 years and never had an issue with a missing front plate. At least in the south bay, cops really don't care. I also have 30% tint on the front windows of all my cars and that's never caused a problem.
Well I was only giving you my experience with the civic I bought from a particular dealership. Clearly I'm not worried about the fact that not having a front plate on my vehicle is potentially a violation, otherwise I wouldn't have taken mine off. I too had 30% tint on my previous civic, and intend on doing that or even 20% on my front windows in the coming weeks. I understand most cops don't care about light window tint and no fronts plates in this area.

Maybe you'll be lucky enough to find a dealership like Angela1256 did, who doesn't by default throw the front plate brackets on their vehicles with their dealer paper plates. Or at least one that doesn't mount theirs by drilling holes. Again, good luck in your search. Hope you find what you're looking for.

finneylp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, 2016
Country flag
For a Bay Area dealer- I had a great experience with Honda of Hayward working with AnneMarie their internet services manager. She was able to trade to get me what I wanted for $200 over invoice
Also-recommend checking twice they have EXACTLY what you want. I visited 3 dealers with assurance I could drive the EX-T with Sensing that didn't actually have the car I wanted to drive.
Sponsored