hpacura

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex
Country flag
That looks pretty bad. My bumper was taller than the hood when I get the car brand new, and I fixed it myself by raising the hood support rubber to make the hood sits higher. It looks like the upper part of the bumper is forced in an awkward position in your case.

The clip in the headlight is definitely unnecessary unless they broke the clip in the "eyebrow" chrome piece. The eyebrow strips should fit into the grill snugly if everything is intact.
I believe the clip became unclipped from above and just ended up where it is now because of gravity. It's
definitely not holding the grille onto the bumper.
Sponsored

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe the clip became unclipped from above and just ended up where it is now because of gravity. It's
definitely not holding the grille onto the bumper.
Nope, that metal clip doesn't belong to the bumper, grill or eyebrow strips. The eyebrow clips into the built in retaining clip in the grill. It looks like it's broken while pulling out, so they have to insert that metal clip to shim the piece to align with the grill.

hpacura

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex
Country flag
Nope, that metal clip doesn't belong to the bumper, grill or eyebrow strips. The eyebrow clips into the built in retaining clip in the grill. It looks like it's broken while pulling out, so they have to insert that metal clip to shim the piece to align with the grill.

Exactly the body shop added it to try and hold the grille onto the bumper. It's just loosely sitting there. Not being used as a shim.

Last edited:

JOEG_FK7

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
HQ finally got back to me after I was rejected by a few dealerships since I refuse to go back to the initial dealership.
I will be having my car "fully inspected" for any "defected" parts that may be the reason for these gaps. I just notice my rear bumper passenger side is starting to sag as well.... it's never ending... car just turned 1 year old and this has been going on for months now..

Sorry to hear about your struggle with your car @hpacura I feel your frustration. I haven't seen anything wrong with my hood and bumper not lining up but I will make sure to take a look. The body shop they took my car too broke my side markers and added glue to hold them in place. Also scratched up my hood with a chalk marker. I had a check list scratched into my clear coat... I was so pissed I raised hell on them. I hope all of us 10gen owners can get these issues fixed by Honda ASAP. We all paid pretty penny and we surely don't deserve the mediocre service we are receiving from Honda.

I work two doors down from a attorney office I might walk on over and have a chat with them if things don't get fixed up.

HarlowQuinn

First Name
Harlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
The build quality is ridiculous on these cars! So far I've had to have my rear license plate garnish and tell light bar replaced because they were malaligned due to an assembly defect. I'm bringing my car in Tuesday to have them look at the front grill/bumper. Although I am kind of worried that they will screw it up worse, I hope they do replace it. It's a shame that it is such a common issue and they haven't addressed it officially. I walked the lot there and one out of five cars had the same issue. Even the service manager who I told about the problem has the issue with his car but he's going to live with it. The funny thing is between labor and parts my car is costing the dealership, or rather Honda more money then they made. Actually it is probably costing the dealership money because I noticed as soon as I got home that there was a dent in my hood that looked like someone had pushed it down too hard instead of dropping it like the manual says, they had one of their dent guys try to fix it and he actually made it worse so now including the cost of the hood my car is already undergoing about $3000 in repairs. That is replacing the hood, and painting the quarter panels, etc. to blend it. The bumper/grill I'm sure they will cover under warranty. I know they are hesitant to get involved in taking the whole front of the car apart, but from what I can see they had to do that to install the lower lip anyway. Though I guess they will have to swap that over or get a new one also. I don't know if that is stuck on with tape or not.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. 08953F49-2061-4E59-9167-DC3C4B5A8E9C

The good thing is that I have proof that the gap was there before I even picked up the car. That's how I also proved the dent was there. Unfortunately I did not notice it at the time, but when I took pictures and videos of the car prior to picking it up, I was able to go back and actually see the defects were there then. I wish I noticed them then, the only problem was at the time there were only two energy green civics left that were close enough to obtain and both of them were show room models which I'm sure was part of the problem. People getting in and out of the car, leaning on it, etc.

Last edited:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
That is replacing the hood, and painting the quarter panels, etc. to blend it. The bumper/grill I'm sure they will cover under warranty. I know they are hesitant to get involved in taking the whole front of the car apart, but from what I can see they had to do that to install the lower lip anyway.
BIG RED FLAG !!
Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. NastyScaryFinch-small

DEALER repainting parts on a new car ...

I strongly recommend you check out what "Re-Painting" facility YOUR dealer has.
They can vary from a fully equipped Filtered/Ventilated Paint Booth, to some guy who comes in once a week, with this "Paint Van". and paints cars "out the back", out in the open -- or something in between.

they had one of their dent guys try to fix it and he actually made it worse
You may think the "dent guy" made things worse -- do not wait and see how bad the "Paint guy" can really make it so much worse - check out the Dealer's capability first. If they do not appear to be well equipped, you should be able to take Warranty work to any other "Better Equipped" dealer.

That being said, I sincerely hope all works out (Like it did in my case - where they ended up replacing the whole car because of a "Paint issue" )

HarlowQuinn

First Name
Harlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
BIG RED FLAG !!
NastyScaryFinch-small.gif

DEALER repainting parts on a new car ...

I strongly recommend you check out what "Re-Painting" facility YOUR dealer has.
They can vary from a fully equipped Filtered/Ventilated Paint Booth, to some guy who comes in once a week, with this "Paint Van". and paints cars "out the back", out in the open -- or something in between.

You may think the "dent guy" made things worse -- do not wait and see how bad the "Paint guy" can really make it so much worse - check out the Dealer's capability first. If they do not appear to be well equipped, you should be able to take Warranty work to any other "Better Equipped" dealer.

That being said, I sincerely hope all works out (Like it did in my case - where they ended up replacing the whole car because of a "Paint issue" )
Thankfully my body shop that I've been working with for years is an authorized Honda repair shop, waiting on the verdict but likely I'll be able to use them since they are willing to price match, By the way, how did you manage to get the car replaced because of a paint issue? I actually have a laundry list of issues with the paint that unfortunately I didn't realize until I took the car but I've still been going back-and-forth with the dealer to get them resolved because I do have photographic evidence that the issues were there prior to picking up the car but they were not noticeable as they were in certain lighting. The car actually has so many hairline swirls on it that the car needs to be polished twice, at this point at my expense, also there are points on the car that appeared to be manufacturing paint defects, one of which being what looks like a little pebbles underneath the paint on the door still making it difficult for me to apply a protective cover to it which I have to show the dealership this week. Another thing that is concerning me is that the rear bumper, which has the same hairline swirls as most of the car, has areas that are shinier than others looking like the clearcoat is damaged or worn which is another thing I need to show them. The crazy thing is that it would actually be cheaper to give me a new car. They are not painting my car on site by the way, even if it didn't go to my dealer or rather shop, I have met with the body shop that they deal with and looked into some other work even having a friend who recently had an accident and doesn't really care too much about the outcome bring his car there to have repairs done

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
I read somewhere before that those swirls n pebbles could be fixed by buffing at dealer

Thankfully my body shop that I've been working with for years is an authorized Honda repair shop, waiting on the verdict but likely I'll be able to use them since they are willing to price match, By the way, how did you manage to get the car replaced because of a paint issue? I actually have a laundry list of issues with the paint that unfortunately I didn't realize until I took the car but I've still been going back-and-forth with the dealer to get them resolved because I do have photographic evidence that the issues were there prior to picking up the car but they were not noticeable as they were in certain lighting. The car actually has so many hairline swirls on it that the car needs to be polished twice, at this point at my expense, also there are points on the car that appeared to be manufacturing paint defects, one of which being what looks like a little pebbles underneath the paint on the door still making it difficult for me to apply a protective cover to it which I have to show the dealership this week. Another thing that is concerning me is that the rear bumper, which has the same hairline swirls as most of the car, has areas that are shinier than others looking like the clearcoat is damaged or worn which is another thing I need to show them. The crazy thing is that it would actually be cheaper to give me a new car. They are not painting my car on site by the way, even if it didn't go to my dealer or rather shop, I have met with the body shop that they deal with and looked into some other work even having a friend who recently had an accident and doesn't really care too much about the outcome bring his car there to have repairs done

DMP84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Yea they never resolved it just a poor design. Seen it on all civics 2016-2018 from sedans, hatchbacks, coupes and type rs. But mostly on the hatchbacks for whatever reason. A while back one guy posted a diy fix its great and works 100% if you don’t mind trying to take off the bumper. If you do manage to take off the bumper you would have to put a zip tie through the grill hole and the zip tie ring will prevent it from popping out of the bumper. There was a photo posted a long time ago I saved it would have to dig it up. The only official fix is a brand new bumper which then it happens again anyway. Endless cycle.

ycehcky

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Mine is going to the dealer tomorrow to fix this issue. The first time I went about a month ago, they looked at it and had to order parts to fix it. I will try to remember to take before and after pictures.

DMP84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Curious what parts they had to order and what they tell you. The only part that they would have to order is the actual bumper and then have it painted.

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (Sonic Gray Pearl)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Basically they replace the whole front bumper which has to be painted prior to installation. The service department at my dealer ordered a replacement front bumper, sent it out to be painted and once that was done had me come in and replace the damaged bumper. The installation itself took a day but it took a few days for the part to come in and few days more for it to painted. The service department paid for a one day rental car since they no longer have loaner cars. I have noticed the front piece clips are starting to come apart again.

DMP84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yep endless cycle that’s why I just complained to Honda of America and never bothered going to dealer. Several of my friends had their bumpers replaced and it started happening again. I just went with the zip tie fix and figured factory paint is better than any shop

ycehcky

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Curious what parts they had to order and what they tell you. The only part that they would have to order is the actual bumper and then have it painted.
I don't recall bumper being one of the parts listed. I did see grille, emblem, hardware, and possibly the piece between the grille and hood on the "invoice".
Sponsored