givemeadollar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I just got warranty work approved for this issue on my 2018 civic si coupe. Whole new front bumper assembly coming in around the 26th, hopefully this isn't just a temporary fix.
Sponsored

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just got warranty work approved for this issue on my 2018 civic si coupe. Whole new front bumper assembly coming in around the 26th, hopefully this isn't just a temporary fix.
Unless Honda changes the structure of the bumper, you will end up with the same shitty gap down the road.

givemeadollar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Unless Honda changes the structure of the bumper, you will end up with the same shitty gap down the road.
Yeah, the service manager and I reached out to the body shop that will be doing the repair and we are going to try and figure something out. As of right now I saw on some post that someone had heated the clips up with a heat gun and bent them so they couldn't unclip themselves without actually breaking, so that may be the approach I attempt.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, the service manager and I reached out to the body shop that will be doing the repair and we are going to try and figure something out. As of right now I saw on some post that someone had heated the clips up with a heat gun and bent them so they couldn't unclip themselves without actually breaking, so that may be the approach I attempt.
Small cable tie will keep them in place, but the drawback is that the upper piece of the bumper may get curly surface over time. ABS plaStic, grill, tends to keep in shape, while the PP materials, bumper, shrinks over time from exposing to heat.

givemeadollar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Small cable tie will keep them in place, but the drawback is that the upper piece of the bumper may get curly surface over time. ABS plaStic, grill, tends to keep in shape, while the PP materials, bumper, shrinks over time from exposing to heat.
Interesting, I will definitely have to consider that.

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (Sonic Gray Pearl)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went to my local dealer about the front bumper replacement for a second time and I was told Honda would not approve the front bumper replacement a second time. Just hope it doesn't get worse than it is now.

givemeadollar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I went to my local dealer about the front bumper replacement for a second time and I was told Honda would not approve the front bumper replacement a second time. Just hope it doesn't get worse than it is now.
If your local dealership is a monkey go to a different dealer.

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (Sonic Gray Pearl)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I also guess the dealer did not want to pay for the one day car rental for me.

nrtphotos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic DX
Country flag
Honda ended up putting a new bumper and grill on my 2018 Sedan due to the grill popping out. I didn't have to fight them at all to make them do it either. The shop that did it was a quality bodyshop and the paint on the bumper is as good as OEM if not a better match than it was before. Unfortunately it appears to be separating again after only a few weeks. At this point I don't really care, it's not like my car will be worth less money down the road as they all seemingly do it. As for the 2019's, they had one on the lot that had a terrible gap and was a brand new car!

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As for the 2019's, they had one on the lot that had a terrible gap and was a brand new car!
I'd say they go with the same route for putting the bumper and grill together like the 16-18.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. 3334237

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I'd say they go with the same route for putting the bumper and grill together like the 16-18.
There's other cars out there that have a similar bumper/grill design like this and don't have the same issue. I think they just need to think of another way to fasten the grill to the bumper (different clip design or something). But yeah more than likely I bet the 2019s will face the same issue - we shall see.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's a bad design to begin with, so here's what you all can do instead of asking help from your local dealer for a new bumper and grill.

Remove the bumper and run 2 tiny cable ties through each retaining tab, or bend the retaining tabs in the grill by slightly heat it up to get a grab.

There's nothing much you can do if the retaining tabs in the bumper is broken though.

#2016civicgrillfix

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. IMG_2808

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. IMG_2809a

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. IMG_2810.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. IMG_2811

HarlowQuinn

First Name
Harlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
It's a bad design to begin with, so here's what you all can do instead of asking help from your local dealer for a new bumper and grill.

Remove the bumper and run 2 tiny cable ties through each retaining tab, or bend the retaining tabs in the grill by slightly heat it up to get a grab.

There's nothing much you can do if the retaining tabs in the bumper is broken though.

#2016civicgrillfix

IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_2809a.jpg

IMG_2810.JPG

IMG_2811.jpg
How and where exactly did you run the cable ties? I'm having a hard time making it out from the picture and description.

Prelude2CivicX

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T 6 Speed M/T, 2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport, 1997 Lexus SC300
Country flag
Update: took my car to Honda and reported the issue to them they advised they will fix it but would require me to leave it for an entire day. I went in for maintenance service in an afternoon and didn’t want to leave my car there for almost 2 days. I will drop it off to them in a few weeks and update. The tech also advised me that they would have to remove the grill and adjust the the tabs somehow then re clip it back on for now.

HarlowQuinn

First Name
Harlow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Update: took my car to Honda and reported the issue to them they advised they will fix it but would require me to leave it for an entire day. I went in for maintenance service in an afternoon and didn’t want to leave my car there for almost 2 days. I will drop it off to them in a few weeks and update. The tech also advised me that they would have to remove the grill and adjust the the tabs somehow then re clip it back on for now.
At least your dealer was willing to address it directly. I probably have to go to another dealership, the one that I go to won't even touch the grill. When the service manager asked the technician/mechanic what he found was wrong with the grill he said "I'm not taking that thing off". The manager then told me that I'll have to drop the car off at a body shop that they work with for them to evaluate the problem and then replace or fix it as needed.
Sponsored