Front grille coming apart.

TeaMarket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
I was searching the forums for issues with the vinyl trim around the windows peeling and while inspecting my car, realized my front grille clips had also come undone and I was unable to hook them back on. I contacted my dealer and am awaiting a response.

I guess when it rains it pours?
Sponsored

Chupacabra519

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport (ABM)
Country flag
The issue seems to be with the hooks on the fascia in front of the hood that should hook into the grille tabs. That appear to be missing or broken off. The grille tabs are there.
In my case, my tabs are all there, so it's likely not always missing tabs that is causing the issue. Any way you slice it, a very visible leading part that rocks the company's logo should not have fit and finish issues. But I, like others, aren't expecting Honda to do anything about this, as much as we hope they do.

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (Sonic Gray Pearl)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi all, been awhile. I had to go into my local dealer to repair the hoses on my wiper reservoir seems some critters chewed on them. When I went to pick up car I found out that the replacement of the front end does not take as long as I was previously told. The dealer has ordered the new front end on Saturday and the part should be in tomorrow and then once I schedule the repair work depending upon if it is a weekday, takes two hours, or if it is Saturday, takes four hours to replace. It will be covered under the warranty. Unfortunately the area where the clips came apart is looking worse so it will be nice for it to look new again.

TRWRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Dealer subcontractor bodyshop had mine for 1 week to paint and replace the bumper. They didn’t replace the front fascia piece in front of the hood that is missing the hooks to hold the tabs. I haven’t been back yet to waste 3 hrs talking to a service advisor and a 3rd party body guy.

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi all, I made an appointment for this Monday (June 11th) to drop off my car and the dealership will rent me a car from Enterprise for the day since it is warranty work. They said it should take about 4 hours to replace the front bumper. Hopefully, that is true and it does not extend to a week since I am sure the dealership would not be happy to pay for a weeks car rental.
I will have to remember to closely inspect the finished work to ensure it is done right and looks much better than now. Also since this is lease I need to keep the car in as new condition as possible. Right now I thinking of purchasing the car once the lease ends.

TRWRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Hi all, I made an appointment for this Monday (June 11th) to drop off my car and the dealership will rent me a car from Enterprise for the day since it is warranty work. They said it should take about 4 hours to replace the front bumper. Hopefully, that is true and it does not extend to a week since I am sure the dealership would not be happy to pay for a weeks car rental.
I will have to remember to closely inspect the finished work to ensure it is done right and looks much better than now. Also since this is lease I need to keep the car in as new condition as possible. Right now I thinking of purchasing the car once the lease ends.
Interesting since the bumpers don’t come already painted.

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting since the bumpers don’t come already painted.
Oh oh, I guess someone will be in for a surprise. If that is the case then the original quote of a week to do the job is probably correct, back in September of last year, so we will see how this pans out on Monday.

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Went in to replace that lovely trim piece that was coming apart this morning. Lo and behold, to the dealer's dismay the front bumper has to be completely replaced so they will return the part they ordered and order the whole front bumper. They said once they get the part they will send it over to the body shop to get painted and then have me bring my car in and replace it in one day. This way they don't have my car for 5-7 business days. They no longer have loaner cars so I would have to rent a car and I can not afford a weeks rental.

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
My grill is fine after 6 months of ownership. It has been through hot summer weather, as well as super cold spells up here in Canada. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with no grill issues. Or, maybe, it's not a very widespread issue at all. Does it seem like it affects more hatchbacks than sedans?
10 months and 11100 kms. and I noticed the driver's side part of the grill slightly away. I pushed it back in place but I'm sure it will not take much for it to separate again. Taking it in for oil change soon so will bring it up to the dealer.

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here are two close up pictures of what the separation looks like on my car:
Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. Civic Photo A
Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. Civic Photo

The first photo was taken in Sept. 2017 and the second picture was taken yesterday in roughly the same area.

Last edited:

TRWRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
That looks like it has gotten worse. Dropped off ours for the 2nd time in a year to be fixed within 4,000 miles. Got another loaner

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got a call from the dealer yesterday. The front bumper is painted and ready to be mounted so Monday I am dropping off my car for the day. The dealer will pay for a rental car for that day.

Chupacabra519

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport (ABM)
Country flag
Now we're in the thick of the heat over here, my front grille is separating again, more than ever. Looks like I gotta bug my local dealer again....