Front driver door keyed - next steps

Core2uu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sedan EX-T Sensing
While my car (just under a month old from the dealership) was parked in my gated garage, some asshole decided to key it and leave a nice deep scratch on the driver door. This is the photo of the scratch when I discovered it the next day:

Honda Civic 10th gen Front driver door keyed - next steps 6uc9X9k

I filed a police report and an insurance claim (I'm with GEICO) but haven't followed up yet with getting an adjuster to look at it and actually using my insurance to get this fixed at a shop. When I looked at tonight however, it looks like the paint is self-healing? (or at least expanding to cover up the scratch or something).

Honda Civic 10th gen Front driver door keyed - next steps p12YKjV

The two pictures are under different lighting, but if you zoom in, the scratch is visibly different.

Anyways, just wanted to get advice on whether this looks like something I could possibly fix myself, or would be better to have a shop do it and get insurance to cover it (currently my comp. coverage has a $200 deductible but I lowered to $50 now in case something like this happens again in the future).

From the original photo, I think this scratch was through the primer so I'm not sure if at some point through coats, it's not possible to fix yourself with touch-up paint.

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2014 Kia Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can get a touch up pen and repair it that way, however it will likely not look all that nice especially since the car is only a month old. Not what your going to want to hear, but the best repair is to have that panel resprayed.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
might be cheaper if you can find the same color driver door at the junkyard. spraying that door will cost $1000+ at a good shop

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
Avoidance is the only practice once you own a Civic X. I learned this the hard way with a prev DD.

Edit: It's hard to un-do car damage.

Last edited:

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
try to touch it up, it will anyway protect the metal from rust while you decide what to do. it may even come out decent if you put time and effort into it, but WOP is not easy to cheat...

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The WOP touch up paint is horrendous unfortunately. It sucks that people feel the need to do this kind of crap.

Phylanx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 CRV, '17 Si Sedan
Country flag
A Youtube channel I watch (ChrisFix) posted a video about fixing scratches, similar to what yours looks like. Otherwise, it might be best to go through insurance.

OP
OP

Core2uu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sedan EX-T Sensing
Just to post an update (in case anyone finds this thread and is in a similar situation), I just went through my insurance and it was repaired without issue (I have GEICO and just went through the closest GEICO Xpress shop after checking it had good reviews). Total cost was pretty steep and nearly $1100 since they resprayed both doors and front fender as well to blend in the new coat (and also replaced door edge guards etc.) but I only had to pay the $200 deductible of course (which I dropped down to $50 for myself in case this happens in the future).

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know what I would do if I ever caught some chicken shit messing with my girl.

The reason why I have dash cams in my babies.

My previous was keyed twice.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Just to post an update (in case anyone finds this thread and is in a similar situation), I just went through my insurance and it was repaired without issue (I have GEICO and just went through the closest GEICO Xpress shop after checking it had good reviews). Total cost was pretty steep and nearly $1100 since they resprayed both doors and front fender as well to blend in the new coat (and also replaced door edge guards etc.) but I only had to pay the $200 deductible of course (which I dropped down to $50 for myself in case this happens in the future).
Wouldn't that raise your premiums? If you files claims

Evolution999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me: 2014 Evo X MR, 2014 Nissan 370Z Nimso, For the mrs: 2015 BMW M3 Sedan
Country flag
hope it doesnt happen again but people who did that usually admire their work and will notice you got it repaired. hope im wrong

OP
OP

Core2uu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sedan EX-T Sensing
I don't know what I would do if I ever caught some chicken shit messing with my girl.

The reason why I have dash cams in my babies.

My previous was keyed twice.
Yeah, I just installed a 2nd dashcam on my rear window too. Still gotta work on setting up parking mode so I can catch people while it's parked though.

OP
OP

Core2uu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sedan EX-T Sensing
Wouldn't that raise your premiums? If you files claims
I looked it up and folks on the internets seemed to say that GEICO doesn't raise your premiums for claims at which you aren't at fault. I'm at least locked into my current rates for the next few months but I'll see what I'm offered later (if it goes up at all).
Sponsored