Front bumper grill warpage

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
Hey guys! I own a 2017 civic type R that I bought new when the car first landed in the USA. I have an issue with the front bumper grill warping. It is warping so much that it broke the clips that is holding on to it on the top area. Is the high heat from the engine causing this? It wasn’t as bad when it first started but got progressively worse since we are having this record heat wave. The clip part that is holding the black grill part completely snapped off. I am currently out of warranty because it’s over 3 years old and 36k miles. Have any of you guys start experiencing this phenomenon?

Honda Civic 10th gen Front bumper grill warpage AEF387F8-162D-4BFF-96E0-85686A35CFFA

Honda Civic 10th gen Front bumper grill warpage B475BD22-F501-4455-9C09-B8DC7A0200C4

Honda Civic 10th gen Front bumper grill warpage 3D64B426-F2E6-43FE-B179-E5A311C71235

mforcino

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Hey guys! I own a 2017 civic type R that I bought new when the car first landed in the USA. I have an issue with the front bumper grill warping. It is warping so much that it broke the clips that is holding on to it on the top area. Is the high heat from the engine causing this? It wasn’t as bad when it first started but got progressively worse since we are having this record heat wave. The clip part that is holding the black grill part completely snapped off. I am currently out of warranty because it’s over 3 years old and 36k miles. Have any of you guys start experiencing this phenomenon?

AEF387F8-162D-4BFF-96E0-85686A35CFFA.jpeg

B475BD22-F501-4455-9C09-B8DC7A0200C4.jpeg

3D64B426-F2E6-43FE-B179-E5A311C71235.jpeg
Yeah I have a 2017 hatchback sport and it has the same issue. I live in Florida so the heat doesn’t help. Not really sure how to correct it without replacing the whole thing.

OP
OP

PwrOfDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
I wish this happened when I’m still under warranty. Honda got the timing correct with this one to avoid warranty claims. Looks like if I want it fixed is to replace the entire bumper out of pocket. I wonder if the new piece will warp in the same fashion and with the same amount of time. It pops out so much makes it look like I rear ended somebody.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
OP
OP

PwrOfDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
The epoxy solution would of been a good idea. But the grill portion will not go back in to the original position. It just stays sticking out. I tried forcing it in but it pops back out again. I thought at first it was only the Type R because of the tremendous under hood temps. Now I know it will eventually happen to all 10th gens sooner or later.

mmmthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
Country flag
the tabs in the bumper have probably sheared off (they're very fragile). Mine started doing this at like 4k miles. you can remove the bumper and use a small zip tie to hold the grill tabs to the bumper. That's what I ended up doing for my grill and that fixed the problem.

The alternative is the dealer replaces to entire bumper and grill but that won't solve the problem. It'll pop out again down the road and now you'll have potentially a mismatch bumper color if the body shop messes up the color blend.

OP
OP

PwrOfDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
the tabs in the bumper have probably sheared off (they're very fragile). Mine started doing this at like 4k miles. you can remove the bumper and use a small zip tie to hold the grill tabs to the bumper. That's what I ended up doing for my grill and that fixed the problem.

The alternative is the dealer replaces to entire bumper and grill but that won't solve the problem. It'll pop out again down the road and now you'll have potentially a mismatch bumper color if the body shop messes up the color blend.
All the grill tabs completely broke off. I saw it stretching out when it first started to happen and didn’t think nothing of it. The area that hold the tabs completely snapped off since the grill continue to warp more and more. Now it’s just sticking out and you can put your finger between the grill and the painted part. I agree with the mismatch bumper and it happening again. Since my car is over 3 years old. My blue is faded to an electron blue color. The new paint will be a deep darker blue. It looks horrible but I decided to just leave it like that. I don’t people to assume it’s been in a front end accident when selling when they see the bumper mismatched and the VIN no longer on the bumper.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
It’s a design flaw on the 10th gen Civic. I just hated it so much since they’re so flimsy. Even if you try to use a heat gun, it’ll just be temporary and then will stick out again.

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
honestly, you have to accept it. even if they replace it, it will happen again shortly after

garudatwo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
991 GT3RS
Country flag
get the 2020 grill, they changed the design to eliminate the top split. won't warp again.

garudatwo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
991 GT3RS
Country flag
you have the 2020 si, not the type r. different grill

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
get the 2020 grill, they changed the design to eliminate the top split. won't warp again.
Did you get the 2020 FK8 Type R grille? I’m planning to get this to replace my full honeycomb grille.
Sponsored