KB3_FK8

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Are you sticking with the it being a one piece rotor, or did you look into the upgraded 2 piece rotor?

Most of the time rotors and be resurfaced, might want to look into that. But with drilled rotors like we have they're prone to cracking a lot. Also an option to look at.
So the two piece rotors discounted cost at the moment online is $330 for each rotor where the pair of 1 piece drilled rotors that I am replacing are $200 for the pair. So I could replace the 1 piece three times before hitting the cost of the two piece. So that's another 70k miles approx and I am just going to do the labor myself next when all this shit dies down at the hospital.

But I did have this idea of replacing all that I could on my 2017 with the 2020 parts. Just not at 25k miles.
Sponsored

OP
OP
KB3_FK8

KB3_FK8

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I dunno man, the dealer quoted me for $1800 of brake work when I last went in for an oil change around 24K miles. I should check my rotors though. They want to replace mine, and the costs are so inflated it's not even funny.
Well I bought OEM brakes and rotors from a Honda Parts store for $300 and labor is only going to be a couple of hours so $1800 seems kinda high, no?

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I just bought a new set of OEM brakes and rotors from a local distributor at a fraction of a cost of what Honda is charging. Parts without tax was going to be $600 at Honda and I bought the same parts for $300. Having them do the labor because I'm working over time at the hospital and don't have time for this shit like I normally do as I would probably just do it my self.

But I think my dealer is pulling a fast one on me. I'm going to request the rotors being replaced and I will investigate.
I'm glad you got it sorted out. Yeah, dealers are NOT the place to go to for parts. When it was time for me to replace my rear pads I went there to see how much OEM replacement pads would be and the parts guy quoted me like ~$180. I just responded, "For the REARS?" Lol Nahhhh. Parts guy was like I don't blame you.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well I bought OEM brakes and rotors from a Honda Parts store for $300 and labor is only going to be a couple of hours so $1800 seems kinda high, no?
Kinda high? Seems ridiculously high. I'm not getting swindled by that dealer.

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
So the two piece rotors discounted cost at the moment online is $330 for each rotor where the pair of 1 piece drilled rotors that I am replacing are $200 for the pair. So I could replace the 1 piece three times before hitting the cost of the two piece. So that's another 70k miles approx and I am just going to do the labor myself next when all this shit dies down at the hospital.

But I did have this idea of replacing all that I could on my 2017 with the 2020 parts. Just not at 25k miles.
Price point I agree. Long term I think the 2 piece will out weigh the price for the one piece. 2 piece is a blank versus the 17-19 drilled. I am hoping that Honda decides to sell just the rotor rings as we'll have the hub portion already. But only time will tell.

And yes, $1800 for labor is too high, even adding the price of the rotors into that. Changing rotors and pads, is literally a 1 hr job if you know what you're doing.

OP
OP
KB3_FK8

KB3_FK8

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Price point I agree. Long term I think the 2 piece will out weigh the price for the one piece. 2 piece is a blank versus the 17-19 drilled. I am hoping that Honda decides to sell just the rotor rings as we'll have the hub portion already. But only time will tell.

And yes, $1800 for labor is too high, even adding the price of the rotors into that. Changing rotors and pads, is literally a 1 hr job if you know what you're doing.
I agree and hope in another 25k miles the two piece will go down in price after the hype.

My car is almost exactly 3 years old (R-02752) so I feel by then I will A) replace most my parts with longer lasting with same performance aftermarket parts or B) the parts will go down in price due to the 11th Gen on the horizon.

By the way, I just dropped the parts off and looked at the rotors. They look bad in the pictures but aren't as bad in person. But the wear is to the minimum spec. So I guess I do need them now.

Thanks for the discussion. This forum really kept me from getting unnecessarily angry. You guys rock!

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Tire rack has cheap rotors and toss on some carbotech pads... that way you can run bobcats for the street and XP10-12 for fun runs or track days. Same material so you can just swap pads without bedding. Works amazing and the tire rack rotors work great!

VTECMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 570s
Country flag
Standard brakes in my opinion are lacking, pad change just doesn’t cut it. The FK8 is heavy on brakes, just swapped my fronts out 11k mileage.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front brake rotors bad at 25k miles?! 1A336627-C9EA-4F60-9F56-F7C1AEC63E23

Honda Civic 10th gen Front brake rotors bad at 25k miles?! C4878946-51FF-43A5-B88A-2B42BE81A600

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Just my input , me and all my buds who had type Rs had the wavyness to our rotors almost out the gate. I think its normal on this car. When I changed my pads I had a little lip to mine as well . I changed the pads anyway and there were no issues. As for the brake services dont let the dealers rip you. pads are cheap and rotors are cheap Most times new rotors cost less then what they charge to "turn" them. IM not a brake changing expert but I can say the pads and rotor on this car are a flipping breeze to change your self. The fronts are literally 2 pins and done can change the front pads yourself in 10 mins. takes longer to take the wheel off and on. the rears are a bit more involved but still simple with about 80 bucks worth of tools. Bu the fronts man rotors are one of the simplest things to change and the pads on the R on the front anyway are easier to change then filing up on gas. LOL

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Just my input , me and all my buds who had type Rs had the wavyness to our rotors almost out the gate. I think its normal on this car. When I changed my pads I had a little lip to mine as well . I changed the pads anyway and there were no issues. As for the brake services dont let the dealers rip you. pads are cheap and rotors are cheap Most times new rotors cost less then what they charge to "turn" them. IM not a brake changing expert but I can say the pads and rotor on this car are a flipping breeze to change your self. The fronts are literally 2 pins and done can change the front pads yourself in 10 mins. takes longer to take the wheel off and on. the rears are a bit more involved but still simple with about 80 bucks worth of tools. Bu the fronts man rotors are one of the simplest things to change and the pads on the R on the front anyway are easier to change then filing up on gas. LOL

Yes sir. I have 29k miles and already on my third set of pads. 5th sets on the rears . Can't imagine what the dealer charge for all these works.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I literally had zero brake pad changing experience watch a video and.. The front breaks and rotors can be done in no time and by anyone with zero experience. The rears take some involvement , but with the right tools (80 dollar Bluetooth dongle and app) is easy as pie. I didn't change my rotors (but rotors are easy) but I change my pads all way around and had less then 200 (with dongle) and full ceramic brakes and about hour of my time.

No idea what these dealers are charging 1800 for.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
The minimum thickness is 30mm - Brembo handily included dimples in the rotors to measure wear.

The spots that look like cross-drilled holes but don't go all the way through the rotor are exactly 2mm deep. When those disappear, you replace the rotor.

They're the silver looking holes on the rotor in the picture below.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front brake rotors bad at 25k miles?! thumb?id=13865996&ccf=94077793&lng=en

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No idea what these dealers are charging 1800 for.
Here's direct quotes I was recommended last time I was there:

Brake Rotors/Discs and Pads, Front - Replace - Price: $871.95
Brake Rotors/Discs and Pads, Rear - Replace - Price: $628.42
Sales tax: $110.34

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Everyone with a socket set should change their own front rotors. It take 10-15 minutes including the time to jack up the car.
Sponsored