Front axle removal and transmission fluid

twilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix EX-T
Country flag
Repaired a torn CV boot today on my sons 2016 EX-T. I knew when I removed the drive shaft I would have some transmission fluid come out but I have close to maybe 500ml that I caught with a catch can.

Do I need to be concerned that much came out? Do I need to replace it? I don’t know precisely how much I lost because I didn’t have a catch can at first.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front axle removal and transmission fluid B973B0BA-050C-42C0-BEBD-6B6C0512D5D6
Sponsored

OP
OP

twilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix EX-T
Country flag
Yeah I guess that is an option, not too familiar with these Honda transmissions. I know my Tundra has a weird service process that is very specific and somewhat difficult. If the Civic just a drain and fill?

OP
OP

twilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix EX-T
Country flag
No it’s an automatic and that was going to me my next question. Are these “Honda fluid” only transmissions.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

DOC101

First Name
Burhan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx
Country flag
Manual trans? drain, and 2 qrts in. Super simple. Seems like folks have had success upgrading to AC delco Synchromesh.

About to do a CV Axle change on my 2016 Civic LX manual car. I'm already running AC Delco Synchromesh fluid. Question is, if no fluid comes out when I replace the CV axle, do I still top off the fluid? & if fluid does come out, do I drain the whole thing & add 2 quarts?

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
About to do a CV Axle change on my 2016 Civic LX manual car. I'm already running AC Delco Synchromesh fluid. Question is, if no fluid comes out when I replace the CV axle, do I still top off the fluid? & if fluid does come out, do I drain the whole thing & add 2 quarts?
Good Q. Personally, given the low cost for new fluid, I'd just take the opp to change it while you're in there.

Longislandcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 hatchback
Country flag
I'd drain and fill the cvt because that fluid looks a bit burnt. My fluid always came out light golden brown.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
that is pretty much what you do. find the drain plug bolt. remove it. drain till it stops. put the bolt back and pour in 2qts. unfortunately there is no where to know when it is full(correct me if i am wrong. I could not find the method to know when I am at the fill line). There isn't a fill plug like the cvts have them.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
that is pretty much what you do. find the drain plug bolt. remove it. drain till it stops. put the bolt back and pour in 2qts. unfortunately there is no where to know when it is full(correct me if i am wrong. I could not find the method to know when I am at the fill line). There isn't a fill plug like the cvts have them.
Once fluid comes out the fill plug on a manual you are topped up. If nothing comes out, put your pinky inside and if the fluid is pretty even with the fill plug hole you're fine. Depending on the mileage since your last change, a full refill is not a bad idea. I do mine about every 35k miles(50k km).

Make sure the car is on a level surface.
Sponsored