ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Couple Energy Green
Country flag
Not going to do it now. However, some day in the future, when I need another car, I will keep this in mind. I can literally go down to the end of my street and see Canada only 6 miles away. :)
Sponsored

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Why do you want to keep the car so long? Sounds like you're in good shape financially. There comes a point where keeping up on repairs on an old tired car is just a big headache. Expensive too.

Dpack

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Ok, since car purchasing can be an emotional situation, I figured I would reach out to everyone here and see what you guys think. Now, I have a 2018 Civic Si Coupe Energy Pearl Green with 39200 miles on it. (Almost all highway miles.) I have consistently changed the oil every 5000 miles, use winter rims and tires for half the year and have not yet changed my original tires.

Now, I am happy with the car itself. However, although I do not trust dealerships, they are claiming that they will give me more money than KBB by a decent amount if I were to trade in. This is the dealership: https://www.liahondaofwilliamsville.com/ Now, this is the car I am considering: https://www.liahondaofwilliamsville.com/new-Williamsville-2020-Honda-Civic-Sport-2HGFC2E87LH520466 I figure since I will need to buy new tires next year, brakes in a couple of years and also am considering the 2.0L because I want to get 300000 miles out of the car, that may seem like a good idea. They are also claiming that they will give me $500 additional on Saturday the 15th and I have the Veteran discount of $500 available.

I have no payments since I payed off the car about 1 year ago. Also, I will only be paying cash for the difference but, I am not sure just how much difference I should go for. I could also perhaps suggest a lower price for the car, like maybe $21000, since they are not going to sell those 6MT cars all that easily. To make it clear, I am ready to walk if they do not agree with what I think is a good deal.

What do you guys think?

Dpack

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I’m just curious, and this might be a dumb question since I’m not that mechanically inclined when it come to engines. I own a 2019 SI Coupe, and am wondering what makes you think that the 1.5L turbo in the SI won’t last as long as the 2.0 In the sport? Does a turbo engine typically not last as long?

OP
OP

ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m just curious, and this might be a dumb question since I’m not that mechanically inclined when it come to engines. I own a 2019 SI Coupe, and am wondering what makes you think that the 1.5L turbo in the SI won’t last as long as the 2.0 In the sport? Does a turbo engine typically not last as long?
Turbo's themselves are known to not last as long, overall. (More moving parts which means greater wear and tear.) Also, the 1.5T has known fuel dilution issues that, even if you only experience that in some minor fashion, will still cause the wear and tear to increase, over the long haul.

Dpack

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Turbo's themselves are known to not last as long, overall. (More moving parts which means greater wear and tear.) Also, the 1.5T has known fuel dilution issues that, even if you only experience that in some minor fashion, will still cause the wear and tear to increase, over the long haul.
Thanks for the info much appreciated, makes sense. I guess we shall see what type of mileage these 1.5 turbo engines will get in the next 5 to 10yrs. I knew about the dilution issue, but I thought they were referring to the 2017, and 2018 models. This along with the volume knob lol should of been resolved

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag

The 1.5T is a smaller engine than the 2.0NA. The turbo charger makes that small engine work a lot harder to produce more power than the larger engine. In theory, the smaller engine working harder will wear out sooner than the larger engine that isn't working as hard. The turbo charger itself will wear out in time.

Of course, the manufacturer can offset the extra wear on the smaller engine by using lower friction metals, stronger bearings, stronger rods,... but that cost a lot of money and most manufacturers are not going to spend much on an economy car.

In practise, the engine on the turbo-charged car will probably not last as long as the engine in the NA car. It is probably a moot point though, because the engine in either will probably outlive most of the rest of the car. If you take reasonably good care of the car, the car will probably end up in the scrap yard before the engine wears out.

Dpack

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
The 1.5T is a smaller engine than the 2.0NA. The turbo charger makes that small engine work a lot harder to produce more power than the larger engine. In theory, the smaller engine working harder will wear out sooner than the larger engine that isn't working as hard. The turbo charger itself will wear out in time.

Of course, the manufacturer can offset the extra wear on the smaller engine by using lower friction metals, stronger bearings, stronger rods,... but that cost a lot of money and most manufacturers are not going to spend much on an economy car.

In practise, the engine on the turbo-charged car will probably not last as long as the engine in the NA car. It is probably a moot point though, because the engine in either will probably outlive most of the rest of the car. If you take reasonably good care of the car, the car will probably end up in the scrap yard before the engine wears out.
Thanks, I’m pretty sure I’ll be ok. I’m not planning on trying to reach 300k, but like hearing stories of people that do. I typically own a car for 10yrs / 125k to 150k and then buy a new one. My SI also isn’t modified, once my warranty expires I might get a ktuner but that’s it. I love this site, totally helpful for someone like me.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They didn't just slap a turbo on an existing engine and call it a day. The engine was engineered and manufactured knowing the turbo will be implemented. People seem to think k series engines are flawless, short memories. Those have the opposite problem, oil consumption. But with either engine, take care of it and it'll last longer than you'll ever own it.

OP
OP

ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They didn't just slap a turbo on an existing engine and call it a day. The engine was engineered and manufactured knowing the turbo will be implemented. People seem to think k series engines are flawless, short memories. Those have the opposite problem, oil consumption. But with either engine, take care of it and it'll last longer than you'll ever own it.
Definitely longer than any Chrysler engine I ever owned in the past. :D Sure, their cars look good but, all looks and no substance, when it came to reliability.

I have to try to die the cross threaded wheel stud on the left front this weekend. I have a friend who is going to help me so, there is that. If it does not work, he can help me replace it, instead.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
PORT INJECTION FTW!! Honda’s been having issues with their direct injection system. Seen turbo shaft play as early as 30k.

OP
OP

ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
PORT INJECTION FTW!! Honda’s been having issues with their direct injection system. Seen turbo shaft play as early as 30k.
Well, I am about to go over 40K Miles and so far, so good. (I do change the oil every 5K miles or so, however.)

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Spoken like somebody who has absolutely no bias and could certainly never own the 2.0L. Because the 2.0L are far from perfect, and somebody who speaks as such would obviously only own perfection!
Sponsored