ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Couple Energy Green
Country flag
Ok, since car purchasing can be an emotional situation, I figured I would reach out to everyone here and see what you guys think. Now, I have a 2018 Civic Si Coupe Energy Pearl Green with 39200 miles on it. (Almost all highway miles.) I have consistently changed the oil every 5000 miles, use winter rims and tires for half the year and have not yet changed my original tires.

Now, I am happy with the car itself. However, although I do not trust dealerships, they are claiming that they will give me more money than KBB by a decent amount if I were to trade in. This is the dealership: https://www.liahondaofwilliamsville.com/ Now, this is the car I am considering: https://www.liahondaofwilliamsville.com/new-Williamsville-2020-Honda-Civic-Sport-2HGFC2E87LH520466 I figure since I will need to buy new tires next year, brakes in a couple of years and also am considering the 2.0L because I want to get 300000 miles out of the car, that may seem like a good idea. They are also claiming that they will give me $500 additional on Saturday the 15th and I have the Veteran discount of $500 available.

I have no payments since I payed off the car about 1 year ago. Also, I will only be paying cash for the difference but, I am not sure just how much difference I should go for. I could also perhaps suggest a lower price for the car, like maybe $21000, since they are not going to sell those 6MT cars all that easily. To make it clear, I am ready to walk if they do not agree with what I think is a good deal.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Do you need the increased practicality of the sedan? Are you fine trading in for a lower-performing, less unique car? Keep in mind whatever the dealer offers you, their goal is to make money off you. While I think the 2.0 sport 6MT is a great car, I can't imagine exchanging my Si for one.

bmfontdevila

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If you're looking to build on the engine, I'd say trade up to the SI Sedan, not the Sport. I've currently got a Sport Hatch and I absolutely love it (though original intention was going in for the SI Sedan.). You get alot more for your money with the SI sedans versus the sport models.

OP
OP

ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you need the increased practicality of the sedan? Are you fine trading in for a lower-performing, less unique car? Keep in mind whatever the dealer offers you, their goal is to make money off you. While I think the 2.0 sport 6MT is a great car, I can't imagine exchanging my Si for one.
I am single so I do not have to have a sedan. Also, I am of the opinion that I am not there to make them money and therefore, am willing to walk out and not go back. I am more thinking of the 2.0l lasting 300000 compared to the 1.5T but, I have to admit, the primary reason I did not go with that in 2018 was there was no Android Auto on Sport version, for this cost.

Effeighteen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Civic Si
Country flag
I am single so I do not have to have a sedan. Also, I am of the opinion that I am not there to make them money and therefore, am willing to walk out and not go back.

I mean, you may believe that but from their point of view, you’re 100% there to make the dealer money. They’re not going to sell you a car they don’t immediately need to get rid of if they aren’t going to make a profit off the transaction. Not sure why you would think they‘d do that.

However, you are in a good position where you don’t need the car and are therefore able to walk away. Use that to your advantage to get a decent price if you have your heart set on the 2020 Sport.

Not gonna lie though, I could never give up a 1.5T Si for a demonstrably inferior car. Especially given the fact you have clearly taken good care of it and have that awesome pearl green colour. Just my opinion though. :/

OP
OP

ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I mean, you may believe that but from their point of view, you’re 100% there to make the dealer money. They’re not going to sell you a car they don’t immediately need to get rid of if they aren’t going to make a profit off the transaction. Not sure why you would think they‘d do that.

However, you are in a good position where you don’t need the car and are therefore able to walk away. Use that to your advantage to get a decent price if you have your heart set on the 2020 Sport.

Not gonna lie though, I could never give up a 1.5T Si for a demonstrably inferior car. Especially given the fact you have clearly taken good care of it and have that awesome pearl green colour. Just my opinion though. :/
I really do not care what their perspective is, I do not consider myself there so they can make a profit. Of course, I do not expect them to take a loss but, my only motivation is what is best for me. :) I will not tell them that, of course. However, neither will I tell them my car is paid off or that I will pay in cash for the difference, if it is worth it to me, unless they ask or is at a point that the information is needed.

Honestly, the thing with the 1.5T is will it last 300000 miles without issue? Honestly, I could not say but I do have my doubts.

OP
OP

ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yep, sure enough, the dealership was never going to give me the amount they mentioned on the flyer. I figured that would happen but it could not hurt to ask, oh well. Just going to keep my Civic Si and be happy with that. :)

Effeighteen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Civic Si
Country flag
Yep, sure enough, the dealership was never going to give me the amount they mentioned on the flyer. I figured that would happen but it could not hurt to ask, oh well. Just going to keep my Civic Si and be happy with that. :)
Ah man sorry it didn’t work out, but secretly happy there’s still a sweet Si not in dealer hands. Haha. Cheers man.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
If you're doing mostly highway miles, I think you'll be just fine.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
You're already itching to get rid of this one, and you think you'll keep the next one for 300k miles? Doubtful. If reliability is your primary concern, go with a 6mt Fit.

OP
OP

ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're already itching to get rid of this one, and you think you'll keep the next one for 300k miles? Doubtful. If reliability is your primary concern, go with a 6mt Fit.
Actually, I looked at those as well, just for the fun of it. Guess what? No one had any 6MT cars. :D Honestly, it was not discontent but thought maybe I could get ahead but, that is not going to happen by buying the 2020 one. Therefore, I am keeping what I have, since there was no deal and therefore, I ripped up and threw out that mailer. ;)

mega_milk

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LX
Country flag
I think you would be very disappointed if you did the trade. Downgrading cars doesn't feel good.

If you're in New York, where they salt the roads, your car will rust out way before the engine has some sort excessive wear.

Most modern engines can also do 200k miles easily.

OP
OP

ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think you would be very disappointed if you did the trade. Downgrading cars doesn't feel good.

If you're in New York, where they salt the roads, your car will rust out way before the engine has some sort excessive wear.

Most modern engines can also do 200k miles easily.
Nah, my car will probably not rust away any time before the engine will wear out. That, however, is because I have it weather treated every year. :D Thanks. having a car with at least 200K miles, no major issues and no rust will be very good to me. :) I do live in Western New York and use winter tires and rims, which helps a lot as well. No trade for me, just thought it was an idea that did not live up to the promise and therefore, I dumped the idea.

Thanks. :)

Dpack

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Actually, I looked at those as well, just for the fun of it. Guess what? No one had any 6MT cars. :D Honestly, it was not discontent but thought maybe I could get ahead but, that is not going to happen by buying the 2020 one. Therefore, I am keeping what I have, since there was no deal and therefore, I ripped up and threw out that mailer. ;)
Sponsored