silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I would rather move over to the right lane if someone's in a hurry. Are they assholes? Sometimes. But I have no qualms switching back to the fast lane after they pass.
You're absolutely right. And you're doing the right thing, too. Bottom line is ALL drivers just need to have common sense and courtesy - whether you're in front or in back in traffic. Unfortunately, like you said, sometimes there's just one too many a-holes that ruin it for the rest of us while we enjoy our rides getting from point A to point B.
Sponsored

Ant918

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
There can be some pretty aggressive drivers here on Long Island, although I'm a pretty big dude I still I like to keep a can of pepper spray in my center console just incase somebody decides to be a tough guy and get out of the car and come up to my window, one quick spray and they'll be rolling around crying lol. Easier to plead self defense after pepper spraying somebody than beating them half to death and trying to sell that to the cops.

This particular situation happened to my girlfriend once, some guy got out of the car in the middle of a main road while they were at a stop and started banging on her window cause she cut him off(she's not the best driver in the world). She ended up calling me up hysterically crying and all I could think of is I wish I had bought her the spray sooner.

Sure I get plenty pissed off at people, especially on my Ninja 300, but still, there's absolutely no reason to ever get out and come up to somebody and bridge that gap of a physical encounter.

Ant918

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I would rather move over to the right lane if someone's in a hurry. Are they assholes? Sometimes. But I have no qualms switching back to the fast lane after they pass.
Believe it or not this is actually what motorcyclists are taught, move over for aggressive drivers, it's not worth your life . Or you can drop a gear and disappear lol.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No doubt. It's just the neurotic ones that ride your ass when you're doing 15+ while you're passing everyone in the right lane at a good clip that need to drive themselves into a ditch.

cabecker01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Prius III with ATP
Vehicle Showcase
I have pretty bad road rage as well, so I guess I'm kind of thankful for Honda Sensing. Before when I would get tailgated, I'd pull over and let the fucker pass, then ride their ass until they got where they were going. Can't do that in my car now.
There's very few things that piss me off more than being tailgated, especially when I'm pushing 90 on the interstate.

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Wow after reading all these stories makes me glad I'm not the only one that's very irritated by tailgaters. I just usually commute to and from work and stay off the road due to the craziness nowadays, I remember driving home one night from a friend's house and there was this car on my ass the whole way, needless to say there was a sheriff parked waiting to catch speeders. Once the sheriff saw me being tailgated it was lights on for that tailgater lol, made my night.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Personally, I have grown accustomed to being tailgated and it happens virtually every time I get behind the wheel. Pretty much everyone in the south LA/MS area does it (worst drivers in the country imo) and I have seldom seen or heard of someone in my area get ticketed for it either. The cops are some of the worst offenders too, so it's not like they pull people over for it.

So when I went to pick up a package today, I had someone in a beat up GMC Sierra about 2 feet from my bumper in a 55, while I was already going a couple mph over, swerving from side to side erratically. He was clearly road raging hard, as he was stuck behind me for a good while as we drove away from town. I am used to this sort of thing, but things were getting out of hand, and I did not want him to get in front of me, in case he tried to brake check me or block the road. I rationalized that since I was driving on a back road in a rural area, away from town, with no traffic, I'd toy with him a bit.

Thus, I downshifted to 3rd, careful to keep the rpm's above torque peak so I wouldn't have any lag in the throttle. I then gradually slowed down to a few mph below the limit and held until he tried to pass (in a no-passing zone!) and then buried my foot into the accelerator. Needless to say, he was no match for I-VTEC.

I got tired of this after a while, and decided to suddenly take an alternate route with lots of twisties to ensure that he would have no chance of pursuing me. But hopefully he learned lesson: tailgating doesn't get you to your destination any faster, but VTEC sure does.:nixon:

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
I actually think most tailgaters are not even aware of what they're doing. I sometimes wish I had a shit box car so I can deliberately put someone in their place when they drive like an idiot. Needless to say, I am pretty gentle with my new Civic since I don't want to deal with any mishaps so early in the game. I make it a habit to drive with the flow of traffic in the center lane. I only use the left for passing. In the rare instance someone is tailgating I slow down to a speed that will drive them nuts. They eventually get the message.

Regarding the pepper spray..... GREAT IDEA!!! I am going to order some online!! The strongest one possible!!!

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I actually think most tailgaters are not even aware of what they're doing
This is true. My dad used to be like this but after years of my mom giving him shit for it he got better. He wouldn't tailgate people in an angry/aggressive manner. He just followed waaay to closely. He was like the driver version of a close talker. I'm sure he's had people in front of him saying "wtf is this guys problem?" all while my dad is peacefully zoned out listening to an audiobook.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
for me the worst thing is the unbearable stupidity that I feel after a road rage incident. This last one I had just may have cured me of it.I may never do it again. Not to mention the fact that I almost wrecked my brand new car. Now there's some stupidity for you.

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport and 2013 370Z sport
Vehicle Showcase
I've noticed this too. I can be going 15+ over the limit and still have some asshole in a large pickup/SUV riding me, even when there's nowhere to go (i.e., I'm doing 85 in a 70 while passing 18 wheelers in the right lane).

SUV drivers nowadays seem to have an irrational sense of entitlement on the road, especially on the highway, so they see a smaller car like the Civic and they think they own the highway. You add that, plus it doesn't look like our Civic has decent performance, and people think its a slow car blocking their ability to go to the nearest McDonalds drive-thru.

...and these same people just sit in the left lane for miles if they end up passing me. Completely obnoxious and oblivious at the same time.
That's because people in big ass suv's have something to prove because their no fun and boring!..:drive:

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport and 2013 370Z sport
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, I thought it was just ME! I get that everywhere now, at red lights, on the street and on the highway. I hate it so much because my car is a month old and I'm very protective. My opinion is that people are doing it to be rude because of jealousy maybe???
Jealouzzzz of your green machine..yezzzz:D:p

atemes14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
I have noticed this as well! My car before this was an explorer and I was never tailgated in my SUV, now with my civic I feel like every SUV tailgates the crap out of me. I don't know if they expect me to be driving fast just because I'm in a civic or what, but this is definitely an issue that I have been dealing with as well.

OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's what I believe it is! As when any new model comes to market, folks wish to take a closer look.
Yeah there's definitely some of that going on. But round here the jerks in trucks and SUVs that are tailgating the smaller cars on the road are just being that... Jerks. Not all of the truck/SUV drivers of course but easily 1 in 3 are. And they aren't gender specific either.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic EX T
Ok don't might me I'm a truck guy and I drive a Toyota Tundra as well I brought the 2016 Civic. The car does sits low to the ground I really can't see cars ahead of me like when I'm driving my truck I can see two three four five or more cars ahead of the person in front of me in a car. I don't tailgate but I'm like behind a car come on drive faster ain't nothing ahead of you speed up or get out this lane.
Sponsored