First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hey guys,

I was doing a little interior cleaning this past weekend. I had some strange spots on the back of my driver seat. Applied pressure, didn't come off, applied even more, and the frame of the back of the chair was exposed from me bending the leather material over it and exposing it pretty heavily.

My two ideas are:
  1. Apply a hairdryer/heat gun to it.
  2. Dye it with something similarly colored to completely remove the spots.

Thoughts?

Honda Civic 10th gen Frame of Seat Exposed From Cleaning 60479296727__B3D506C3-AD8F-46F0-A1F6-2B076ED3EE4B.JPG
Sponsored

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
No offense but your ideas could take things from bad to worse. I would consider asking a detailer in your area so they can see it in person.

If you want to continue, try some gentle cleaners and go up from there.

OP
OP
lilyumyum

lilyumyum

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
No offense but your ideas could take things from bad to worse. I would consider asking a detailer in your area so they can see it in person.

If you want to continue, try some gentle cleaners and go up from there.
No offense is taken! I value that opinion. My assumption is that the leather stretched over the metal backing and so heat would tighten it up. I will consult with a detailer and ask their opinion, though.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
The problem is that it's not leather but a polyester fabric covered with a thin layer of plastic such as polyurethane.

OP
OP
lilyumyum

lilyumyum

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
The problem is that it's not leather but a polyester fabric covered with a thin layer of plastic such as polyurethane.
Yeah, I kind of figured it wasn't. I googled to try and find out what material it was with no success. So how would you mend something like this?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
If it's just stretched, it might shrink back with time... Maybe a gentle warming could make it faster. If the top layer is damaged...dyeing with some leather/vinyl product might make it less visible.

OP
OP
lilyumyum

lilyumyum

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
If it's just stretched, it might shrink back with time... Maybe a gentle warming could make it faster. If the top layer is damaged...dyeing with some leather/vinyl product might make it less visible.
I was thinking hair dryer on low with a decent distance would heal it a bit... Then maybe going to a dye of some sort. If the passenger seatback doesn't match, just apply the dye to both.

OP
OP
lilyumyum

lilyumyum

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Never found a solution to this issue. Pretty rotten deal. Any ideas anyone?

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
It appears the color in those areas is removed, so your only option may be to find some sort of dye to re-color it. You might try inquiring with a body shop (one that does upholstery) to see what kind of repair is required.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Looks like material has been worn off. Do you have passengers, perhaps children, in the back seat that put their shoes against the front seat? Or maybe carry packages that have rubbed the material?

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Likely is the strong leather cleaning action concentrating on the high spot when applying more pressure while cleaning. This results premature wear and tear (rubbing) on the high spot. Could use polyester fabric dye but the new color will not look the same as OEM color. Suggest to get a seat cover to cover the damage.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I have same marks, brand new vehicle, just not as bad as yours, and it was not from cleaning, car had 4 miles on it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
lilyumyum

lilyumyum

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Likely is the strong leather cleaning action concentrating on the high spot when applying more pressure while cleaning. This results premature wear and tear (rubbing) on the high spot. Could use polyester fabric dye but the new color will not look the same as OEM color. Suggest to get a seat cover to cover the damage.
I think I might just dye both sides regardless of the passenger side not having any damage rather than getting a cover.
Sponsored