Frame Number

HondasRun4ever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe
Country flag
This might be a stupid question. What is the purpose of the frame number beneath the passenger-side floor mat? I never saw that on any other car I owned.
Sponsored

jeremiah

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si coupe, 1999 Lexus Gs300
This might be a stupid question. What is the purpose of the frame number beneath the passenger-side floor mat? I never saw that on any other car I owned.
Thats a good question, I would like to know as well. :hmm:

OP
OP
HondasRun4ever

HondasRun4ever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe
Country flag
Someone told me it's so law enforcement can identify the frame if the car is stolen and disassembled in a "chop shop." But if that's the purpose, wouldn't it be better to hide the number instead of putting it right out in the plain sight where car thieves can easily grind it off?

jeremiah

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si coupe, 1999 Lexus Gs300
Someone told me it's so law enforcement can identify the frame if the car is stolen and disassembled in a "chop shop." But if that's the purpose, wouldn't it be better to hide the number instead of putting it right out in the plain sight where car thieves can easily grind it off?
I was vacuuming the car and thought it was peculiar place for it.

945T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 LX 6mt, Type R waiting list
Country flag
I think it also gets used in production as well as for theft recovery.
Old beetles had the same thing, stamped under the rear seat

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was going to ask the same question. What is the purpose? Does it serve a legitimate purpose? It’s weird how they put it in plain sight.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Isn't that the VIN number?

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I'm presuming it's the Confidential VIN.
http://www.vintageautomotive.net/?tag=hidden-vin

I always thought the Confidential VIN. was supposed to be Confidential. The location known only by the manufacturer & law enforcement. If a stolen car was recovered, the police could verify the real VIN by looking at the Confidential VIN in some obscure location.

The number stamped into the frame or unibody is the real VIN. Thieves would buy a totaled out or scrap vehicle just to get the VIN tags from the windshield & door jamb & install them on a stolen car. Unsuspecting buyers would never know if these matched the Confidential VIN and therefore could be buying a retagged stolen vehicle.

Apparently things have changed over the years & now the number is stamped into the body structure where everyone can see it, at least on some vehicles.

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
I was going to ask the same question. What is the purpose? Does it serve a legitimate purpose? It’s weird how they put it in plain sight.
It’s just the VIN stamped on the sheet metal. It’s been stamped on the firewall on older models. It’s also on a plate visible through the windshield and on stickers on all the panels, bumpers, engine, trans. There’s nothing confidential about it.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
It’s just the VIN stamped on the sheet metal. It’s been stamped on the firewall on older models. It’s also on a plate visible through the windshield and on stickers on all the panels, bumpers, engine, trans. There’s nothing confidential about it.
The VIN itself is not confidential but that one particular VIN location was, hence the name Confidential VIN or Hidden VIN. Google has a lot of info on this.

Years ago through my job I had interactions with the State Police regarding stolen cars & sometimes they had to slightly lift the body off the frame in order to look at the Confidential VIN. This was before unibody vehicles dominated the scene.

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm presuming it's the Confidential VIN.
http://www.vintageautomotive.net/?tag=hidden-vin

I always thought the Confidential VIN. was supposed to be Confidential. The location known only by the manufacturer & law enforcement. If a stolen car was recovered, the police could verify the real VIN by looking at the Confidential VIN in some obscure location.

The number stamped into the frame or unibody is the real VIN. Thieves would buy a totaled out or scrap vehicle just to get the VIN tags from the windshield & door jamb & install them on a stolen car. Unsuspecting buyers would never know if these matched the Confidential VIN and therefore could be buying a retagged stolen vehicle.

Apparently things have changed over the years & now the number is stamped into the body structure where everyone can see it, at least on some vehicles.
You can definitely see it under the floor mat in the car on the passenger side. Just lift the little tab up. It’ll have some foamy stuff attached to the lid. Insulation I’m guessing. I just never seen that on any of the cars I had. I had a old Nissan Sentra, a 92’ Ford Ranger, two newer Nissan Sentras and my last car I had that I used for a trade in was a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
possibly its more of a way to discourage chop shops as its so easy to find and check?why else would it be labelled and easy to get to?

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
possibly its more of a way to discourage chop shops as its so easy to find and check?why else would it be labelled and easy to get to?
That's what I'm guessing. And if the number is ground off then you know something is fishy.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
My 2020 Mazda CX-5 has the VIN stamped in this location as well covered by the same type of door that Honda uses.
Sponsored