Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan / 04’ CRV EX 5MT
Country flag
Looking for improved flow.
OEM is ok on an OEM motor.
heard good things about wix. big name filters tend to be decent as well. all FRAM is pretty much trash, I've used OEM for 18k miles and have 5w-30 with a big turbo making over 300whp. Flow is minimal when it comes to filters. They arent the restriction in these cars as much as the oil pump or other components are

Reactions: LBP

LBP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
heard good things about wix. big name filters tend to be decent as well. all FRAM is pretty much trash, I've used OEM for 18k miles and have 5w-30 with a big turbo making over 300whp. Flow is minimal when it comes to filters. They arent the restriction in these cars as much as the oil pump or other components are
Oh boy, FILTER FIGHT! 😂

Nah, I mostly agree with what you say, although I gotta play Devil's Advocate and say that higher-tier FRAM filters are actually fine. Just don't get their budget filters. Now, that's not to say that their cheap filters aren't functional (the nickname "Orange Can of Death" is just a smidge hyperbolic IMO), but the construction of their cheaper filters leaves a LOT to be desired. My info could be outdated now, but check out an oil filter teardown and comparison and you'll find that the cheap Fram filters have cardboard caps on the filter media, smaller media surface areas, wimpy support tubes, noticeably cheap seals and anti-drain valves, relief springs that aren't even springs but are metal stampings with hardly any spring-like qualities, and the list goes on. I wouldn't use a Fram ExtraGuard on a modified engine, or even a stock one that I was at all particular about. That said, Fram's higher-tier filters are totally serviceable and are comparable to competing filters in the price range.

Personally, and due to a bit of research, I'm a Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Wix XP guy. I've always had good results and zero trouble with either. I even tend to purchase entire boxes of Wix XP filters at a time so that I'm set for several oil changes. But all that said, filter choice is much like oil choice - if you get an appropriately-spec'd, non-bottom-tier product from a well-known brand you really won't go wrong. OEM is perfectly fine, even on 99.9% of modified builds.

Last edited:

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
OEM Honda A02 filters? Those are pretty much orange Frams. I've got one on my R now. A01s are better but discontinued.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Use any good filter and change your oil more often the less.

OP
OP
Ducota

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
OEM Honda A02 filters? Those are pretty much orange Frams. I've got one on my R now. A01s are better but discontinued.
Yea time to switch.

OP
OP
Ducota

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
I'm using Fram Ultra XG7317. $7.62 (+ tax) delivered from Amazon. What's not to like? :headbang:
Just put one on my Accord Sport and Tacoma

BigRedtheGinger

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 6MT, 1988 Honda CRX SI, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 V8
Country flag
Stay away from Fram. Their higher end filters may be better than their lower end ones, but to me it's like saying "Being nut checked is better than being kicked in the nads" either one sucks. You're better off with Wix, if you want something good, but inexpensive. I personally tend to stay with K&N and Mobile 1 filters, usually Castrol Edge oil.
Sponsored