Mrnrfan182

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru BRZ
Country flag
Please forgive any lack of etiquette that may be exhibited here (posting in wrong section or not doing enough research). But after some negotiating I have struck a deal with a dealership at MSRP for a Black 2020 Type R and I had some questions:

I've read up on all of the second gear grind issues and the 4th gear lockout. Does this affect all Type R's? Were any improvements made to the 2020's that reduced this? It seems that most of the complaints stem from the first couple of years but I haven't seen anything that suggests Honda has done anything to improve it. Having fought with Subaru for years over a Throw Out Bearing and replacing them multiple times in multiple cars (all under warranty) I'm not super fond of the idea of dealing with more of the same.

Now a more superficial concern: how bad is the black paint? The only other option I would choose would be championship white and it's simply not available in my area. I love the look of the black but as a detailer, I know it's a bitch to keep clean. The car would get the entire front end wrapped in Xpel the day after purchasing but what about the rest of the paint? I'm assuming it's a soft clear just like the Subies I've dealt with for years, but for those of you with black, do you regret it? I'll ceramic coat the car myself and I'm well versed in proper wash techniques but not all black paint is created equal.

I've gone down some rabbit holes looking into the car and I was a huge Honda fan in the early 2000's (owned an Integra and an RSX before I jumped into Subarus). The only thing truly stopping me from pulling the trigger on this car is the possible transmission issue. But having been in a bunch of Subies, I'm used to crap transmissions.
Sponsored

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
2019 in black here. The paint is ok - I have full front XPEL and a ceramic Pro gold package on mine. Most of the time it looks shiny and clean, even when it's dirty. Direct sunlight is a killer though; I find that the XPEL is surprisingly prone to looking cloudy in spots, even after using a foam cannon. The car has only ever looked good in direct sun immediately following a meticulous two bucket hand cleaning.

My 2nd gear fights me on fast engagements, so I tend to avoid quick 1 to 2 shifts. I've never had any of the other problems with my trans though. My 5th to 4th downshift is perfect and always has been.

If I don't end up upgrading to the new model in 2022, I'll likely replace the XPEL with STEK, which seems to be far more optically clear (we have it on my wife's TT RS).

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Please forgive any lack of etiquette that may be exhibited here (posting in wrong section or not doing enough research). But after some negotiating I have struck a deal with a dealership at MSRP for a Black 2020 Type R and I had some questions:

I've read up on all of the second gear grind issues and the 4th gear lockout. Does this affect all Type R's? Were any improvements made to the 2020's that reduced this? It seems that most of the complaints stem from the first couple of years but I haven't seen anything that suggests Honda has done anything to improve it. Having fought with Subaru for years over a Throw Out Bearing and replacing them multiple times in multiple cars (all under warranty) I'm not super fond of the idea of dealing with more of the same.

Now a more superficial concern: how bad is the black paint? The only other option I would choose would be championship white and it's simply not available in my area. I love the look of the black but as a detailer, I know it's a bitch to keep clean. The car would get the entire front end wrapped in Xpel the day after purchasing but what about the rest of the paint? I'm assuming it's a soft clear just like the Subies I've dealt with for years, but for those of you with black, do you regret it? I'll ceramic coat the car myself and I'm well versed in proper wash techniques but not all black paint is created equal.

I've gone down some rabbit holes looking into the car and I was a huge Honda fan in the early 2000's (owned an Integra and an RSX before I jumped into Subarus). The only thing truly stopping me from pulling the trigger on this car is the possible transmission issue. But having been in a bunch of Subies, I'm used to crap transmissions.
There have been reports of 2020 Type Rs still having lockouts and gear grinds. The new shifter design might help alleviate some of this, it might not. Users have found that adjusting the CMC can help with gear grinds, though this really just changes the timing/delay of the clutch pedal if I'm not mistaken. Other things that help with it are not to slam gears and not shifting too quickly. Some people feel the grind is user error, others don't. I had grinds and lockouts on my 2018. They both went away with time. After about 12k miles I never had one again, I'm at around 46k miles now.

The paint on these cars in general is very thin, so I'd recommend getting something like paint protection film to protect it. Otherwise, you're dealing with black paint. A major reason why white is popular is actually because the color has historical significance.

Dave Day

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I hate that black will never be perfect and have accepted that there will be lots of battle scars on it. I wanted the car more than I wanted a color. If perfect paint was a top concern I would’ve stayed away from black.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I have a 2019 and have had zero issues. Subaru has way more issues like sti engines blowing up. If you can get a type r at msrp you better move fast.It will be gone in days for msrp
Exactly....This MFer here asking about paint. He better jump on that deal whats wrong with people. You have to fight to get this car at MSRP. Go for it do not look back lol

Last edited:

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
Hondas, and Japanese cars in general, have very soft clearcoat. The Type R is no exception. The downside is they scratch easy, the upside is it's very easy to correct with a DA polisher. Also, anytime you rub your car DO NOT do it in circles, use straight lines, they are way easier to correct than swirls if you end up scratching it. A cross-hatch pattern is best for coverage anyway.

If you want to avoid/minimize scratches make sure the only thing that touches your paint is quality microfiber cloths with 30% polyamide content. Microfibers are NOT all created equal, and they can get completely ruined without you ever knowing it if you dry them on anything other than ultra low heat (or air), subsequently putting more scratches into your paint. Don't wash them with anything else either, like cotton. Sounds like you're already familiar with the 2 bucket method - I suggest using grit guards in the bottom of them as well.

Re: gear grinding - I have read about this a lot but honestly it just doesn't seem that common. Obviously it affects some people, and that's unfortunate, but the majority of people don't seem to have any issues especially after accounting for the fact that unhappy owners are going to be 10 times more vocal. My plan is just to be gentle with the 1-2 shift, I can't think of many situations where I would want to floor it in first gear off the line anyway. I drove a MY2017 on a track for many laps and was bagging the sh*t out of it in every single gear and I never had 1-2 issues or 5-4 issues - other than that I can't offer any additional personal experience as my MY2020 isn't due for another week or two.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
No grinds on my 2020, but I had some issues with 4th lockout for the first 1500 miles. It actually hasn't happened in almost 700 miles now. Maybe it was just a side effect of breaking everything in.

SixSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Country flag
Exactly....This MFer here asking about paint. He better jump on that deal whats wrong with people. You have to fight to get this car at MSRP. Go for it do not look back lol
Uh, where should he ask about the paint quality if not on a Civic forum?:dunno:

It’s a valid question to ask before dropping $40k on a Civic (especially black).

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Uh, where should he ask about the paint quality if not on a Civic forum?:dunno:

It’s a valid question to ask before dropping $40k on a Civic (especially black).
Just joking with you

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Transmission issues seems to be minor. Zero issues with mine (4.5k miles).

I would never buy black for a dd but color is a personal preference and I'm not willing to put in the time to keep it looking good.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Do eeeet! Do eeeeeet! Seriously, every car has at least one or two oddities or issues. Manual transmission issues are often a mix of the hardware and the wetware, so YMMV. Personally, I think Honda makes some of the best manual transmissions in the business, certainly for anything outside of Porsche territory. And while I have a CW Type R, that was because it was the only color they had, though I do like it. Black was a color I would have considered as well, though yeah it's a beeyotch to keep clean.

Skandiluz

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR / '20 SGP CTR (Sold) / '15 FRS (Sold)
Country flag
Jump on that man. Quite a lot of people are still paying some form of ADM so if you have the opportunity to get it at MSRP, AND you can financially afford it - DO IT! I can almost guarantee if you don't bite this one at MSRP, you're going to have a really, really hard time finding another at MSRP. Don't worry about the color. Plastidip it. Wrap it. Do literally anything else to change the color but don't let this car go by just because of the color if it's a good deal.

Edit: I should also mention that if you can get this MSRP locally, you shouldn't even be here asking us. You should be at the dealer signing papers. Even if you find another dealer in another state that will sell to you for MSRP, you have to factor in shipping which ranges between $1k-$1.5k or so.
Sponsored