danny185

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2017 Sedan
Country flag
eh, it's a big difference really though. you bought a fully recirculating valve to replace the stock one with presumably the mindset that the forge piece is a better built part. It very well may be. The thing to keep in mind though is that there is no record of the stock part failing. People who bought a VTA BOV on the other hand.... they were willingly ignorant. Any google search for BOV and MAF turns up a great deal of discussion. I know people just see the fast and furious movies and/or hear turbo noises from another car and get a strong desire to have their car make that sound.... but anytime someone considers modifying a vehicle they should be asking themselves a few questions:

1. Is this safe for my chosen application
2. Is this well regarded as a positive change
3. What are the pro's and con's

I've owned quite a few cars which had active tuning communities (1984 Camaro Z28, 1985 Jeep Cherokee, 2002 Mazda Protege, 2005 350Z, 2002 WRX, 2002 Corvette Z06, 2011 EVOX GSR, 2012 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Mini Clubman S). With the exception of the first two, I had tons of online resources available to do research with. Hell, even the first two I still knew multiple people who were modifying engine/trans/suspension/braking components whom I could depend on for advice. All of them were modded. Most of them were catless. Hasn't been a flawless run by any means. Had overheating problems with the camaro. Blew the engine in the Mazda with a T3/.60 turbo. Broke the 5 speed in the WRX(replaced with 2006 STI trans). Shop blew the engine while tuning the EVOX. Multiple electrical issues with the Mini's.

TLDR - cogito ergo sum (knowledge is power)
Thanks for the info!!!! is always cool to learn something everyday!
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Over on twinturbo.net and others with the Z community... its been forever talked about going from the stock recircs to BOVs is a huge step back... even way back in the 1900s back when I was just a Z31 guy surfing the web over a 56k modem. They haven't gotten more relevent. Some BOVs could be made to be a recirc and it was always highly recommended to port it back to the intake path and make it be a recirc because... well... dumping the air to atmosphere was dumb, make you have excessive lag each shift and run rich during the process to boot.

I'm not sure even sure why BOVs exist... other than people seeking noise. Though I've never tried it and have no desire to experiment... I'd think if you capped the return path off and just let the recirc vent to atmosphere... you could make your recirc be a BOV for free. I'm not sure why you'd pay money for an 'incomplete recirc' when you could just temporarily 'break' your own for free.

We did have POVs (pop) on our mainfolds on the Z31s but that was simply to provide a relief valve for the manifold itself... and likely was to ensure compressor surge wouldn't happen. They were set ~2x stock boost. Those old cars didn't even have recircs.

Last edited:

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So does this sound exactly the same? lol

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A little more
sound clip? I already have an intake I got for free through K&N but if this gives it a bit more sound then I might consider it just for the hell of it.

OP
OP

danny185

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well it isn’t that much
sound clip? I already have an intake I got for free through K&N but if this gives it a bit more sound then I might consider it just for the hell of it.
Well it isn’t that much you just hear it charging a little more but you have to pay attention to it!!!

Does the K&N drop filter actually makes it sound?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Well it isn’t that much

Well it isn’t that much you just hear it charging a little more but you have to pay attention to it!!!

Does the K&N drop filter actually makes it sound?

Makes a soft thud when dropped ;)

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Green filter that's sold by PRL (and is part of their 'Stage 1' package) does make the intake sounds a bit more pronounced. It also doesn't have the rubber overspray that exists on any of the K&N drop ins I've seen/used in the past... that would cause a flow restriction, albeit minor. It's another oiled drop-in filter, just like the K&N.

It too... makes a thud when dropped. I have not compared it's thud to a K&N however. I would expect it is comparable.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the actual K&N intake system not the drop-in, yeah it makes a difference in sound for sure.

OP
OP

danny185

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Makes a soft thud when dropped ;)
Nice!!! I will wait in two things that some money comes my way lol!!! Or that the PRL intakes comes down in price!!! Shipped here to Puerto Rico it costs $479 :(

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Nice!!! I will wait in two things that some money comes my way lol!!! Or that the PRL intakes comes down in price!!! Shipped here to Puerto Rico it costs $479 :(
I'm in no rush to replace the stock intake, but if I was - I'd be waiting for results from the 27WON intake which is releasing soon.

OP
OP

danny185

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm in no rush to replace the stock intake, but if I was - I'd be waiting for results from the 27WON intake which is releasing soon.
Yeah that one interests me because it is a CAI combine with a short ram so water is not going to be a “issue” the thing is that if you hear the sound clip on the video it does not haga that sound that injen or PRL has!!

OP
OP

danny185

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Got a question because don’t know lol!! What his the idle PSI for this cars? -8 , -9?!?
Sponsored