Ford RS bubble future Type R?

ShaneP865

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aegean Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
RS owners starting to see the value drop while Dealers are stuck with unsold units that are coming down in price. Do you see this happening to the Type R?
Sponsored

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
RS owners starting to see the value drop while Dealers are stuck with unsold units that are coming down in price. Do you see this happening to the Type R?
Not if they stopped making the CTR as of March 31st. Honda needed to balance supply with demand along with everyday usability and performance engineering with the CTR. They've done a much better job of that than Ford has with the Focus RS. After the initial furor died down with the Focus, you were left with a $40k+ Focus hatchback with a cheap interior and harsh suspension on an aging platform that's being replaced for the 2019 model year. It doesn't help that the RS badge doesn't have the same level of awareness and cache as the Type R one does. Ford only ever sold prior RS models in the UK along with limited quantities in continental Europe.

Just thinking back to my test drive of the FoRS, the suspension tuning was just awful to deal with on a daily drive basis and without that flexibility, it was completely useless to me. Didn't help the cause that under heavy braking load on the track with such a weighty car, the front Brembos would catch on fire. Oh, and the failed head gasket mass recall.

Last edited:

doCTR

First Name
doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR CW / RS400 / Golf R/ Forester XT
Country flag
Not to forget the diff heating up. If Honda keep supply like drip drip instead of a niagra like ford, the value and the perception of "haloness" will remain instead of souped up econo.

MY303V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 IS-F, 2006 Subaru Tribeca, 1998 Toyota Camry LE
American cars usually take a dump in value (Ford Mustang GT is a perfect example of that), and tend to have more mechanical issues as well.

I don't see that happening with limited production, high performance Japanese cars. Even 2004-2006 WRX STi units in good condition are worth around 20K.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
American cars usually take a dump in value (Ford Mustang GT is a perfect example of that), and tend to have more mechanical issues as well.

I don't see that happening with limited production, high performance Japanese cars. Even 2004-2006 WRX STi units in good condition are worth around 20K
That's such a broad, fallacious statement there. How about the GT350 if you're going to bring a Mustang into the convo? Those cars are still going for near or more MSRP for a used one. The desirability and limited production were there and had nothing to do with where the country was manufactured. Limited production Camaros also hold value pretty well. As for Japanese cars, you bring up an STi, but on the other hand dealers struggle to sell the BRZ/FT86 and they usually lose 50% of their value in a few years on the used market. Even with Honda, the Integra Type R sold slowly at first and were hard to move after the hype died down for many, many years until people got nostalgic for them again.

MY303V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 IS-F, 2006 Subaru Tribeca, 1998 Toyota Camry LE
That's such a broad, fallacious statement there. How about the GT350 if you're going to bring a Mustang into the convo? Those cars are still going for near or more MSRP for a used one. The desirability and limited production were there and had nothing to do with where the country was manufactured. Limited production Camaros also hold value pretty well. As for Japanese cars, you bring up an STi, but on the other hand dealers struggle to sell the BRZ/FT86 and they usually lose 50% of their value in a few years on the used market. Even with Honda, the Integra Type R sold slowly at first and were hard to move after the hype died down for many, many years until people got nostalgic for them again.
Wasn't broad at all, I specifically said Mustang GT, I didn't say a GT350. I also said "usually", didn't say it's like that for every car.

I also spoke about their reliability, which is usually sub-par compared to Japanese performance cars.

A BRZ with all due respect, is not a high performance car in my book.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, River Oaks Honda in Cal City, IL. has 2018 RR ctr that they can't sell.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Why do people care so much about what their car will be worth in "x" years? Cars are not investments. You buy it because you like to drive it or you bought it for the wrong reason. Type R's should hold their value fine but you aren't sitting on some gold mine and the moment you modify them the car loses value considerably.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m curious, MSRP?
They won't say, they wanted me to come in and talk. It's been 2 months since I inquired and they are still trying to contact me. They are advertising Msrp and -$500 college grad offer. RR is least desired color? I saw a white one a couple weeks ago and it just didn't stand out like I thought it would. It looks too much like a regular hatch except for the wing.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
They won't say, they wanted me to come in and talk. It's been 2 months since I inquired and they are still trying to contact me. They are advertising Msrp and -$500 college grad offer. RR is least desired color? I saw a white one a couple weeks ago and it just didn't stand out like I thought it would. It looks too much like a regular hatch except for the wing.
Well i have to agree on the white. Didn't see the big to do over it. Looked kinda boring in person. But overall personal opinion aside red was the bottom of most peoples want list.

jpanda

Panda King
First Name
JPanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: Honda Civic Type R 18 & EX Hatchback 18 - Retired: 15 6MT-FIT, Infiniti G35 & G37 6MT.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think its because they can't sell it but they probably have a hard price or package with it Lol.
Sponsored