...Ford Maverick

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been considering trading my Civic HB for the new Maverick truck. I'm not a truck guy, never owned a pickup, but there are times where I really wished I had one. For a truck, it is small, but still two feet longer than my Civic, which, for me, is still too big. I like small cars. However, the price and fuel economy is quite good, and being able to haul 4x8s is a godsend.

Only problem is that my car is paid for, and I would probably have to pay an extra $10K for the options I want in addition to the trade-in. That pays for a lot of deliveries. Choices....
Sponsored

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Do you truly need a truck or do you just want one? I don’t think needing one to go to Home Depot for some projects or hauling a few times a year really justifies getting one. I only see it make sense is it is if the bed is in near constant use. Here in Texas half the driving population owns a pickup truck and almost never makes use of it. They all just drive to work in them and complain gas is too expensive.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Remember: if you don’t get the FWD hybrid the truck will be hungry for gas

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Side note. That's quite a transformation for the Ford Maverick. Back in the day, it looked like this:

Honda Civic 10th gen ...Ford Maverick 1970_ford_maverick-pic-10188-1600x1200

Last edited:
OP
OP
TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you truly need a truck or do you just want one?
Definitely don't want a truck. Never have.

However, being a home owner means that a truck REALLY comes in handy every once in a while. What I would really like is a cheap, single-cab small pickup like they used to make. I even thought about trying to find a cheap used one, but just the cost of insurance, maintenance and gas would make it impractical to have as a third vehicle since I would only need it a handful of times.

Which brings me to the Maverick. It is "small enough"- though still too big for my tastes - that it can take the place of the Civic, and has good enough fuel economy for it to be basically the same. I can't quite convince myself that the cost needed to get it would be worth the few times I really need a truck. I've gotten by so far without a truck, but I have to say, it is tempting.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

However, being a home owner means that a truck REALLY comes in handy every once in a while. What I would really like is a cheap, single-cab small pickup like they used to make. I even thought about trying to find a cheap used one, but just the cost of insurance, maintenance and gas would make it impractical to have as a third vehicle since I would only need it a handful of times.

Which brings me to the Maverick. It is "small enough"- though still too big for my tastes - that it can take the place of the Civic, and has good enough fuel economy for it to be basically the same. I can't quite convince myself that the cost needed to get it would be worth the few times I really need a truck. I've gotten by so far without a truck, but I have to say, it is tempting.
So you don't want a truck, and you also don't need a truck? Needing it "a few times" doesn't remotely justify it to me. How many one day rentals from home depot does that 10k get you?

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
If you would only really need it a few times a year it's probably cheaper to just befriend somebody with a truck.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag

Even though this truck is actually built to be more practical for people. There’s just something I feel there’s some propaganda ford marketed. I can see it making sense for first time car buyers or someone that has a rust bucket. I only bought an si because my previous car was already one foot in the grave and ate too much gas. If it didn’t have any of those problems I may still be driving it

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So you don't want a truck, and you also don't need a truck? Needing it "a few times" doesn't remotely justify it to me. How many one day rentals from home depot does that 10k get you?
Agree with this. Now is NOT the time to buy unless absolutely necessary.

OP
OP
TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly, if I still had my old car (an '09 Honda Fit), I almost certainly would have placed an order for the Maverick. It certainly isn't something I lust after, but from a practicality standpoint, it does a lot of things that I find useful. Yes, my Civic is fine for about 90% of the time, but man, sometimes you really wish you had a truck. It is certainly cheaper to just get things delivered, or beg my truck-owning neighbours for help, but the convenience alone is almost worth it.

The fact that it is reasonably sized instead of those monstrosities that everyone sells, has good gas mileage, can still seat 4 (5 in a pinch), has good ground clearance, and can still be parked in my garage really speaks to my practical side. And unfortunately, the Civic is no longer a car that I drive for fun. It has been relegated as just a utility vehicle for me, so I wouldn't even lose out on the driving aspect of it.

But I own my Civic, it's paid for, it still has low mileage (only 34,000 km), and it works for me most of the time. Anyways, all the hybrid versions of the Maverick have already been spoken for this model year, so I have lots of time to decide.

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Side note. That's quite a transformation for the Ford Maverick. Back in the day, it looked like this:

1970_ford_maverick-pic-10188-1600x1200.jpeg
One of my childhood friends had 2 of these and kept trying to fix them up to make then "cool". Never happened...

Nemesai285

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
Just get an older ford ranger. Small but can still haul for your basic homeowner needs and can still engine swap it later without breaking the bank.

JO3L

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1E5, NA6CE
Country flag
How about a roof rack for the Civic? Could potentially carry those things you can't fit inside the car and would be a whole lot cheaper than getting a new vehicle.

Honda Civic 10th gen ...Ford Maverick 1636056133433

I've been struggling with this same dilemma except for another reason. Looking for a tow vehicle after my track car broke down on the way home. Luckily I had the spare parts and tools to do a roadside fix. I really don't want a truck and the high gas expense, insurance, registration, etc. that comes along with it. Started looking at SUVs that are more practical, but none can really tow all that much unless you get a diesel (aka VW Touareg TDI) or a big V8 (aka Dodge Durango).

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Aren't they cheap enough to buy as a second vehicle? thats what i would do if i kinda sorta needed a truck with car like gas mileage.

the other option, which wont work in this current market.

anyways, i bought an old f250 7.3 diesel, about 6 years ago, thats almost 20 years old now for cheap and just keep it going and its been useful for those few times a year i need to haul, inclement weather or move things about.

OP
OP
TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Aren't they cheap enough to buy as a second vehicle? thats what i would do if i kinda sorta needed a truck with car like gas mileage.

the other option, which wont work in this current market.

anyways, i bought an old f250 7.3 diesel, about 6 years ago, thats almost 20 years old now for cheap and just keep it going and its been useful for those few times a year i need to haul, inclement weather or move things about.
I already have a second vehicle, one that I am not going to sell for a very long time. There is no way I'm getting a third vehicle, so this would have to replace the Civic. And there is also no way I'm getting a large truck. The only reason the Maverick interests me is because it is small for a truck.
How about a roof rack for the Civic? Could potentially carry those things you can't fit inside the car and would be a whole lot cheaper than getting a new vehicle.
I thought about that, but I'm wary of putting large flat sheets on top of the vehicle, exposed to the air like that. Unless secured very well, it could lift off and cause an accident. It's also easier to lift the sheets into the bed of a pickup, especially one as low as the Maverick, than it is to lift it onto the top of the car.
Sponsored