For those of you with the LX Manual Transmission (Notice an issue when leaving a stop in 1st gear?)

Rommy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan LX 6MT
Country flag
So, I test drove a couple of 6MT's before buying, and didn't notice this issue until I actually got some significant seat time in the car. Anyone ever notice that when you take off from a stop in first gear, after releasing the clutch completely, the car jerks back, no matter how much or little gas you give it, and regardless of how quick or slowly you release the clutch? The feeling is the equivalent of in any normal, "older" manual transmission car, if you released the clutch too quickly, it kind of "clunks" as it fully engages.

I've tested this extensively over the past day or two and it drove me nuts, until I started hopelessly pressing buttons, hoping it was the traction control or economy mode... lo and behold, turn off economy mode and it takes off smooth as ever, and shifts 1-2 even better than before! I realized that I never drove the car in economy mode when I test drove it (I would imagine dealers don't turn it on for a reason, makes cars feel sluggish because it softens the acceleration) but apparently it significantly affects how the car takes off in first gear on the 6MT, as well as the shift from 1-2 as well. I will continue to use economy mode on the freeway for obvious reasons, but on the streets I won't use it anymore, makes the car far more driveable! Anyone else notice this difference? Also, has anyone tested gas mileage with and without economy mode on for a full tank of gas?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rommy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan LX 6MT
Country flag
That's amazing. I'm getting 28mpg according to the car's meter, but I've only got about 200 miles on my first tank of gas, still haven't broken in the car. My 2015 Civic CVT was averaging about 30mpg, I do live in the city though so that most likely has something to do with it. =\

pwschuh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed
Country flag
I have a manual LX and have never experienced that. Then again, I have never pushed the economy mode button and, if I own the car for 20 years (like I did my last car), I will never push the economy mode button.

OP
OP

Rommy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan LX 6MT
Country flag
I have a manual LX and have never experienced that. Then again, I have never pushed the economy mode button and, if I own the car for 20 years (like I did my last car), I will never push the economy mode button.
You wouldn't experience it unless economy mode is turned on... From now I only use econ mode on the freeway, all it really does is lower the throttle response and lower the speed of the air conditioning. =\

Control freak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX manual
Slip the clutch more :)

I haven't noticed that happening consistently, just occasionally in econ. Of course, I don't notice much- I can't tell much of a difference between econ and normal. Usually I just leave it in econ, but I'll try switching between the modes more now.

Have you ever coasted to a stop, turned the engine off before coming to a complete halt and noticed that the parking brake doesn't engage? It happens very inconsistently with me, mostly when I'm doing it unconsciously so I don't remember what the exact steps are that triggers the problem.

FedCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Honda Civic LX 2.0l 6spd
Country flag
So thank you for brining this to my attention. I turned Eco off and wow! Way more responsive. Found it sluggish in Eco when letting the clutch out. I'm still learning this manual. Haven't driven manual in a long time. Still learning hills and reversing on a decline lol.

OP
OP

Rommy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan LX 6MT
Country flag
So thank you for brining this to my attention. I turned Eco off and wow! Way more responsive. Found it sluggish in Eco when letting the clutch out. I'm still learning this manual. Haven't driven manual in a long time. Still learning hills and reversing on a decline lol.
Glad to be of assistance. Eco sucks on the street, I just use of on the highway for better MPG because I tend to have a lead foot.

@pwschuh I agree with you lol.

evildoer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed MSM
I too noticed the same thing op is experiencing. I'm just a little over 2k miles, I've driven a full tank with Eco on and didn't notice much difference in mpg's compared to with it off. I've come to the conclusion that Eco isn't for me in the city. The sluggishness causes me to give more gas lol so I do the same and turn it on only when I'm on the freeway, except when in traffic.

Slip the clutch more :)
Have you ever coasted to a stop, turned the engine off before coming to a complete halt and noticed that the parking brake doesn't engage? It happens very inconsistently with me, mostly when I'm doing it unconsciously so I don't remember what the exact steps are that triggers the problem.
Yes, I too noticed that slipping that clutch eases the transitions between shifting. Eco gives it such a different feel, like I'm a senior behind the wheel.

I haven't tried cutting off the engine while coasting, what's it suppose to do with the brakes? I never even thought of what would happen.

FedCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I noticed even with Eco mode off, car jerks alot from 1st to second and sometimes second to third. I try my best to slowly let the clutch out. Very different clutch than I'm use to. Been a while too driving standard.

FedCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't smell clutch so that's a good start lol.

FedCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Questions guys, I notice alot of noise in linkage etc when shifting gears and noise travel. Is this normal? I hear rattling etc.

Tearhammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 6 speed LX Civic Blue, 2013 Chevy Sonic LT hatch
I sometimes start in second or I have to slowly release the clutch.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Questions guys, I notice alot of noise in linkage etc when shifting gears and noise travel. Is this normal? I hear rattling etc.
Your linkages might need adjusting. It's a pretty simple procedure and I'm sure the dealer could accommodate you if you're not the DIY type. My old Beetle TDI did the same thing for the last 100,000 kilometers of its life and eventually the gear lever got a bit clunky and stiff but it always went into gear.
Sponsored