For Si Owners Only: Si vs. Type R --- Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP?

Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

Friction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Its not worth it to me for the price differential. I regret getting the Si at this point since an Si hatch would have been ideal... If I could only have 1 car it might be worth it but with a modded evo that shares the DD rotation with the Si, the type-r just isn't worth it. But at the end of the day I'm not a fan of high power FWD.
Sponsored

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Its not worth it to me for the price differential. I regret getting the Si at this point since an Si hatch would have been ideal... If I could only have 1 car it might be worth it but with a modded evo that shares the DD rotation with the Si, the type-r just isn't worth it. But at the end of the day I'm not a fan of high power FWD.
What do you mean it’s not worth it? Can you elaborate on this? To me it’s a bargain at MSRP. It can keep up with cars 2 and even 3 times it’s price on a track.

I used to feel the same way about FWD, but after having a MVII Golf R and going to the GTI I actually preferred the light weight FWD over a cumbersome AWD system, it was a noticeable difference. In feel and handling, sure I couldn’t do sub 4 second launches anymore but all other aspects were enhance or improved other than poor weather driving.

That’s how I know I will love the type R basically a Civic Si on steroids!

For comparison I’ve owned a MKVII Golf R, GTI sport, 2016 Ford Focus ST, 2017 Ford Fiesta ST, 2015 Subaru WRX STi launch edition, 2008 Mini Cooper S coupe, 2016 Mazda Miata Club w/ Brembo BBS, 2016 Ford F-150 Sport, 2008 Chrysler PT cruiser, 2008 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3, 2001 Ford Taurus, 1993 Ford Tempo.

Most were manuals

EdwinDrn

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, 19' Civic Si
Country flag
You really ought to see some of the builds on here because people are spending good money on quality mods for the Si in a very short period of time - $5 to $10K in 2 years is more than that you'd pay in difference of extra car payment for a CTR in 2 years. This means they have plenty disposable income to have spent the extra on car payments but don't want to do exactly just that. Their choice like mine is to build a lower trim for all the reasons stated by myself and others above, and not for the purpose of being a CTR beater because the two cars are quite different in their uses - Si is a better daily :)

I don't fault anyone who trades up from Si to CTR, that's one way of going about things. More power to those who are building CTR's because they are budgeting for payments and mods, and wanted a different car overall :thumbsup:
Nicely said, I cant disagree with that.

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
Nope, test drove both and bought my Si, for me the MPG hit was too much. If I was to spend when I bought in Fall/Winter of 2017 it was a race between the Focus RS, Golf R, and Si. I went with the Si over the others due to the MPG, cost wasn't a concern as put ALOT down and have a 802 credit score. Now I'm not doing the stupid long commute and am probably buying a Raptor after I finish my Thesis and complete the second masters next month:)

It's all in what you actually want, I didn't want a Type R, still don't. Love my Si but want a truck, wanted one then but had the 125 to 160 mile round trip every day.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
My first issues are:
1) Cruddy roads. Don't want to put up with 19 or 20" wheels (heck, my 18"s are annoying enough)
2) Fuel economy. I love that I can squeak out 45-50mpg on an easy drive into work. Worst I get is about 30mpg. With the CTR, I'd never see over 15 :mad:
3) I have a kid about to get a license. No way I need a 300hp temptress.. or the insurance hike ;)

So, overall, no, I think I'd decline a CTR at this time... and like the OP mentioned and my old history teacher would say , "If ignorance is bliss, you'd be the happiest man alive!"

civilcivicguy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1954 Corvette, 1959 Bugeye Sprite
Country flag
Would you buy the Type R NOW after owning the Si, if you could get one at MSRP ($38,500 Base OTD minimum)? (But you HAVE to give up your Si, you can't keep both)

Five months later I saw the CTR guy I spoke to was selling his CTR on Craig's List for about $43k with 7500miles on it. It sold or at least it wasn't listed at the end of the week.
Having driven my '19 Si I'd have to say, "No." My Si has all the fun I need, and I love it. The reliability and fuel mileage of my Si are all that I need to keep me happy.
Don

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
I would have bought a Type R if it came with a DCT or a 10 speed automatic trans and some 18' or 19' tires with all seasons from the factory

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Nope, test drove both and bought my Si, for me the MPG hit was too much. If I was to spend when I bought in Fall/Winter of 2017 it was a race between the Focus RS, Golf R, and Si. I went with the Si over the others....
My real-world mileage comparing my 2014 Si (2.4L NA engine) vs. the current 2019 CTR is 24.4 vs. 22.7. Not much of a hit and they both call for premium. I drive pretty aggressively. I’m sure I could get 4-5 more mpg if I babied it starting from stoplights, but that was true for both cars. I do not know what kind of mileage you should expect with the 1.5 Turbo on the new Si.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
My real-world mileage comparing my 2014 Si (2.4L NA engine) vs. the current 2019 CTR is 24.4 vs. 22.7. Not much of a hit and they both call for premium. I drive pretty aggressively. I’m sure I could get 4-5 more mpg if I babied it starting from stoplights, but that was true for both cars. I do not know what kind of mileage you should expect with the 1.5 Turbo on the new Si.
There was just a thread on this today. A lot of people are averaging almost 40 mpg on the 10th Gen Si tuned

https://www.civicx.com/threads/40-mpg-in-a-si-tuned.38219/

Friction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Disclaimer: Type-R is an awesome car. The following is just my opinion for my particular circumstances and i'm beating a dead horse... wish I didn't even reply at this point but anyway.

Its not worth it to me. Ultimately, for a sports car in that price range, I want awd or would settle for rwd. Fwd is ok under $25k but for $35k+... nah. But this is just from my personal perspective and intended use. I enjoy having traction in 1st and 2nd without having traction control limiting the power. I'm assuming the type-r can't accelerate in first and 2nd without limiting power in some way and certainly couldn't with a tune that takes full advantage of the stock powertrain's potential. This doesn't show up in track times but it is apparent in day to day driving taking off from stops and pulling out into traffic etc. (RAIN?!) My awd car at near stock power levels was a blast when it rained at my last track day with the evo.

I might autocross my si some but that's about it. Mostly it makes the trek to work and back which is why I value the 35+ mpg I typically get. When I bought the car my commute was more hwy and I got 42-46mpg regularly. Both the si and type r need 17 or 18" RPF1s and good tires in my opinion and with those they'd be a lot closer in laptimes than you'd think I bet; especially on an average non-ring track. I'd love to see the lap time difference on an average track between a stock type-r and k-tuned si on the same wheel/tire set-up.

But at the same time, i don't agree with modding a new Si to the level a lot of people are. Imo if you buy an Si and want to do much more beyond a tune then you should've gotten the type-r for sure and even then maybe a non-fwd platform.

I test drove a CTR and it didn't really feel faster than my tsp si on the street, I'm sure it is and would be obvious side by side but it just didn't feel that fast... Of course my evo skews my butt dyno feel a little and they both feel slow compared to it so I may be way off...

What do you mean it’s not worth it? Can you elaborate on this? To me it’s a bargain at MSRP. It can keep up with cars 2 and even 3 times it’s price on a track.

I used to feel the same way about FWD, but after having a MVII Golf R and going to the GTI I actually preferred the light weight FWD over a cumbersome AWD system, it was a noticeable difference. In feel and handling, sure I couldn’t do sub 4 second launches anymore but all other aspects were enhance or improved other than poor weather driving.

That’s how I know I will love the type R basically a Civic Si on steroids!

For comparison I’ve owned a MKVII Golf R, GTI sport, 2016 Ford Focus ST, 2017 Ford Fiesta ST, 2015 Subaru WRX STi launch edition, 2008 Mini Cooper S coupe, 2016 Mazda Miata Club w/ Brembo BBS, 2016 Ford F-150 Sport, 2008 Chrysler PT cruiser, 2008 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3, 2001 Ford Taurus, 1993 Ford Tempo.

Most were manuals

aeonixx

First Name
KW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
If I had the money, I would likely purchase something other than a Type R- I'd take an STI for the all wheel drive over one or if I had it, spend up for a shelby gt350 (or get a previous year version). The Type R an amazing vehicle, but it's a little too "loud" in appearance in the wrong ways for me. I like the clean-sporty look, and would like the type R with a little more subtlety. Also, the Si is an amazing bargain for what it sells for (~23K)- you can't beat it for a daily driver and with some relatively cheap modifications, it becomes a steal.
Agree 100% I sold a BMW 135i because I was using it to commute 50+miles everyday. I was destroying the car and warranty running out. So I sold it and bought an Si. I did a lot of research and the Si actually came out the winner by a pretty good margin, even more than the type R. The type R is not meant to be a daily commuter IMO. If I was going to just use a car to rip around on Sunday afternoon I would have kept my BMW. I love My Si, I have put some very nice additions on the car and I am very happy with it. It is a quick car. I'm getting used to front wheel drive (way different for me) Type R is just a bit over done for me.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
No, I won't because type R wheels are prone to damage. It looks like a Ricer and Si is better look wise with subtle exterior mods

Dan9908

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Accord Sport 2.0/A10, 05 Civic LX
Country flag
Drove to NY on Saturday. On the way back, I was in no rush and averaged between 75-80mph with a few spurts.

When I got home, avg was 38.5mpg

I was happy with that... especially when my 392 Charger showed 24mpg on a good day

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I do not know what kind of mileage you should expect with the 1.5 Turbo on the new Si.
I get about 28MPG in my 17 Si but it's all city driving. Every once in awhile I'll take it on the highway and drive around the loop and if I hypermile it I get crazy good mileage.
Sponsored