For Si Owners Only: Si vs. Type R --- Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP?

Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
You must be driving to Orlando and back for work!
I was, now commute is 6 miles each way, and it pays 25k more a year:)
Sponsored

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Ran into a guy with a 2018 Type R, told him just bought an Si and "wished" I could've afforded the CTR. We discussed the differences and such, he is a Gen Xer whose parents have $$$$ and so he wanted a CTR.... :banghead: (I was born in the wrong generation, if I told my parents I wanted the CTR equivalent in my era, I think the only thing I would've got was a lecture and an ass whoopin for asking, not in that order either.) The CTR guy didn't know me except for the 5 min I spoke to him and he offered to let me take it for a drive! :pickme:

Don't flame me, but I declined :doh::crazy: You know the saying "ignorance is bliss"?, Well, if I drove it, I would've wanted one. Like crack cocaine, I would've been hooked for life, strung out, and selling my body for another chance to drive it....

Which got me to thinking (never a good thing), after all the mods on my Si so far and I'm not done yet, I could almost have purchased the CTR at MSRP +TT&L (many mods would have come standard on the CTR too!). I never looked into finding a CTR for MSRP, but I know I could've found a dealer willing to sell me one some where at some point which brings me to the question...

Would you buy the Type R NOW after owning the Si, if you could get one at MSRP ($38,500 Base OTD minimum)? (But you HAVE to give up your Si, you can't keep both)

Five months later I saw the CTR guy I spoke to was selling his CTR on Craig's List for about $43k with 7500miles on it. It sold or at least it wasn't listed at the end of the week.
I had a '17 SI Coupe and made this trade, for your exact reasons. I wasn't satisfied with FBO and the TSP Stage 1, and I had to decide whether I really wanted to go down the rabbit hole of $1500 for a clutch+flywheel+install, just so that I could then spend $3,000+ on a PRL Big Turbo Kit + Controller. Of course once the PRL turbo was in, there'd also be no guarantee of long term reliability for my engine. It could last a long time, but I'd always be just a little concerned that the next WOT pull would blow something; to alleviate that fear, it would mean having a professional install upgraded rods and pistons at a minimum. All told, I did the math and figured out that with FBO+Clutch/Flywheel+Big Turbo+Internals, and considering that I paid a little over invoice for the SI, I'd be close to the cost of a Type R at MSRP. I figured that at that point, if I was willing to spend all that money and effort, I would be happier just paying for the Type R itself.

Subarashi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Q60 RWD 3.0, 1998 6th Gen Honda Accord (400K+ Miles, Still running strong)
Country flag
Yes I would!
I say this because I really want the Type R but I just can't justify paying 40-50K for a brand new Type R and then paying literally MSRP or a little above for a used one....

That K20 engine is one of my favorite engines and the Type R is everything I expected it to be, it's such a nice car.

But I might just get the Si which isn't a bad car by any means, I've also always wanted an Si growing up but I also always dreamed about having a Type R

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes I would!
I say this because I really want the Type R but I just can't justify paying 40-50K for a brand new Type R and then paying literally MSRP or a little above for a used one....

That K20 engine is one of my favorite engines and the Type R is everything I expected it to be, it's such a nice car.

But I might just get the Si which isn't a bad car by any means, I've also always wanted an Si growing up but I also always dreamed about having a Type R
Lots of places will do MSRP or close to. Absolutely get an SI if that's what you want, but don't get one just because you don't think that you can find an R at sticker. That's asking for regret.

Subarashi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lots of places will do MSRP or close to. Absolutely get an SI if that's what you want, but don't get one just because you don't think that you can find an R at sticker. That's asking for regret.
I'll keep on looking but I don't think it's looking too good especially I just read that Honda has been increasing their prices on the Civic Type R now :(

I'll be happy with an Si don't get me wrong, but the Type R would probably make me a lot happier lol! And seeing that you drive one I'm sure you can relate lol it's such a nice car.

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
I like the price per performance ratio of the Si. This is just my personal opinion (i drive a wrx so im biased lol), and i understand the CTR is faster on the track than my '15, but i would never pay almost $38k for a front wheel drive car. Id take the Si which can be had for around $22k.

Last edited:

JadedSpade

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Lunar Silver)
Country flag
Personally, no. I have a hard time swallowing that $$$ for a civic. It's a crazy car, no doubt. But still. Not my thing. Love my Si as is and can't wait to start tinkering.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'll keep on looking but I don't think it's looking too good especially I just read that Honda has been increasing their prices on the Civic Type R now :(

I'll be happy with an Si don't get me wrong, but the Type R would probably make me a lot happier lol! And seeing that you drive one I'm sure you can relate lol it's such a nice car.
Hamilton Honda in NJ usually sells them for MSRP + around $2K in accessories. Same thing with Carbone Honda in Yorkville, NY. I also saw one posted on the 10th Gen Civics FB page that was in North Carolina a week back for MSRP - the salesman himself posted it and confirmed no ADM or accessories. I don't mean to offend, but you might not be trying hard enough.

It's totally ok to get an SI if you don't want to spend Type R money. If you are ok with spending MSRP on one though, they are 100% out there (I paid MSRP in Feb of this year).

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Type R at sticker prices are everywhere, at worst might have to get a one way plane ride for couple hundred bucks. From these boards you can find out which dealers sell at MSRP find the one that’s closest to you, call them up and leave them a deposit for couple hundred dollars. Might have to wait a month or two. That’s exactly what I did right here in my town, there are dealers here that are asking $10K above sticker and dealers that are selling at MSRP. So simple.

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R CW #00006
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Absolutely but.............at original 2017 msrp...
I had intended to get a Type R August 2017 but the dealer had it marked up to 40K and would not budge. Then I went to another dealer they were asking 45k so I got a Si coupe for 2k under msrp ...And I been happy ever since.
I live in Chicago suburbs and the roads and potholes would murder the Type R tires and rims.
I went for an Oil change at the first dealer since it was closer to my home in November and same Type R was still on the show room floor at 40k. needless to say that Type R sat there for quite some time before someone willing to pay 8k extra bought her.

Subarashi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hamilton Honda in NJ usually sells them for MSRP + around $2K in accessories. Same thing with Carbone Honda in Yorkville, NY. I also saw one posted on the 10th Gen Civics FB page that was in North Carolina a week back for MSRP - the salesman himself posted it and confirmed no ADM or accessories. I don't mean to offend, but you might not be trying hard enough.

It's totally ok to get an SI if you don't want to spend Type R money. If you are ok with spending MSRP on one though, they are 100% out there (I paid MSRP in Feb of this year).
I'm not offended, and yes I haven't been looking outside my area I been wanting to buy local so i don't have to drive out so far. I have a Honda dealership down my street it had a white Type R for ~40K....someone actually bought it I'll see if i can post pics if i can find it.

Edit:

Found it!
Looks amazing! I'd prefer blue or black but just a Type R would be good enough!

Yeah I was looking at prices, and I can't justify ever paying more than MSRP. I really want the Type R but the Si isn't a bad choice either I know I'd be happy with either or lol maybe just a little more happier with the Type R though LOL!
Honda Civic 10th gen For Si Owners Only: Si vs. Type R --- Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP? u3JeDQd

Last edited:

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yes

I went from an Si to a Type R

It's a huge upgrade in terms of performance

If comfort is an issue for DD as I seen in this thread just put it in comfort mode, feels like a refined Si in comfort

I miss the MPG though.

Si my average was 7.0 - 7.9L/100km with TSP Stage 1

Type R average is about 8.9 with Hondata 93 Tune

Plus having to worry about potholes can be tiring sometimes

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I could have gotten an R at MSRP, and afforded it, but the Si is an homage to my younger years, as well as to my black 2000 Si coupe that was stolen from me. :oops: #RIP

Pracis

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type R
Country flag
Well when I got the 2019 Si, it was because my EBP Si had about 8 grand in repairs. I had no choice whatsoever. CTR is nice.. really nice. I've got a buddy and daily drives one but he has said on record that if he had to do it all over again, he prolly wouldn't. CTR is great.. no doubt. But my Si is too lovely to let go. He gets hit up for races all the time and that's one thing that he doesn't like.

SirVicksDeep

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
A Type R wouldn't work with me. I drive 50k miles a year for work and my SI makes it fun. It's not uncommon for me to come across a NC back road and push the spot button some fun. The type R is too low for daily driving or my work. I wouldn't want to ruin the body kit.
Sponsored