For Si Owners Only: Si vs. Type R --- Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP?

Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Aren’t the 2019 Si’s going for like close to 26k? If true, then I’m even more thrilled I got my 2017 Si at $23,900! Would not trade for an R anymore.
Sponsored

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
... Both the si and type r need 17 or 18" RPF1s and good tires in my opinion and with those they'd be a lot closer in laptimes than you'd think I bet; especially on an average non-ring track. I'd love to see the lap time difference on an average track between a stock type-r and k-tuned si on the same wheel/tire set-up...
FWIW, Car and Driver Lightning Laps at VIR .. Stock cars:

Civic Type R
Lap Time: 3:03.9
Class: LL2 | Base Price: $35,595 | As-Tested Price: $35,595
Power and Weight: 306 hp • 3116 lb • 10.2 lb/hp
Tires: Continental SportContact 6, 245/30ZR-20 90Y

Civic Si:
Lap Time: 3:14.6
Class: LL1
Base Price with Performance-Enhancing Options: $24,975
As-Tested Price: $24,975
Power and Weight: 205 hp • 2884 lb • 14.1 lb/hp
Tires: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2, 235/40R-18 95Y

So.. it would seem $11K is worth 11 seconds ;)

2019SIRallye

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SI Sedan
Country flag
Aren’t the 2019 Si’s going for like close to 26k? If true, then I’m even more thrilled I got my 2017 Si at $23,900! Would not trade for an R anymore.
I got my 2019 for 23k, after taxes etc it was 25k. The R's they were selling at over 40k. I think they wanted 44k at the dealer I got my Si from.

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If I did have an SI I wouldn't do it. Just get the car you want next time around.

Few years ago I had a 4 cylinder accord and decided I wanted the V6 instead - ended up wasting a few thousand dollars on that indecision. Would never do that again.

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag

Civic Type R

Civic Si:

It's not just about how fast the car is but how it feels when you drive. Type R just feels amazing to accelerate, turn, shift, etc. Everything about it is so precise and tight.

I never drove an SI so I can't compare.

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
My first issues are:
1) Cruddy roads. Don't want to put up with 19 or 20" wheels (heck, my 18"s are annoying enough)
2) Fuel economy. I love that I can squeak out 45-50mpg on an easy drive into work. Worst I get is about 30mpg. With the CTR, I'd never see over 15 :mad:
3) I have a kid about to get a license. No way I need a 300hp temptress.. or the insurance hike ;)

So, overall, no, I think I'd decline a CTR at this time... and like the OP mentioned and my old history teacher would say , "If ignorance is bliss, you'd be the happiest man alive!"
Nah man. I abuse my CTR daily and average 22 MPG - could definitely do 30 if I drive like a grandma. In fact the MPG is what I've been pleasantly surprised about. All premium gas though.

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I got my 2019 for 23k, after taxes etc it was 25k. The R's they were selling at over 40k. I think they wanted 44k at the dealer I got my Si from.
Lol I'd sell mine in a heartbeat for that price considering I paid $35k for it.

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Unfortunately the spoiler on the CTR is not about looks. You remove the spoiler or change it's characteristics, you've messed up the aerodynamics and the high speed handling. You change the tires and you mess up the handling and will introduce torque steer. You remove the third exhaust tip (which is actually a resonator) and you introduce excessive drone. It's a car you take as is or you move on
Your insurance is not less with an SI except for cost of vehicle differences. My insurance company listed my Type R as a "Civic/SI" as that is what comes up when they enter my VIN. Apparently they don't differentiate between SI and Type R for insurance purposes. I'm paying about the same for insurance that I did my Accord Touring.

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Your insurance is not less with an SI except for cost of vehicle differences. My insurance company listed my Type R as a "Civic/SI" as that is what comes up when they enter my VIN. Apparently they don't differentiate between SI and Type R for insurance purposes.
I think maybe you are replying to the wrong post? I don't recall mentioning anything about insurance costs :)

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I could have gotten a 2019 Type R at sticker, had a deposit on the Type R but backed out. At sticker vs. my price on the Si it’s exactly $15K more for the Type R, not worth it imo. I choose the Si not because I can’t afford the Type R but because the Si is much more bang for the buck than the Type R, and that means a lot to me.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

Civic Type R

Civic Si:

It’s more like $15K and yeah the Si with bigger and better wheels and tires plus $350 Ktuner, ooof the results would be interesting

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Over in this thread, there's people discussing the Seibon wide body kit for the Sedan, and then a few started going at it to say they'd rather get a Type R for the money. Here was my response:

"We had this discussion over in the Si chat, and the sensible ones understood that the two cars are in very different categories so Si's shouldn't be aiming to beat Type R's just because of upped hp and tq numbers once modified. The Si is a friendly daily with sporty credentials, and the Type R is a track scalpel which Honda spent the $ on difference to give it better suspension, chassis, aero, brakes, and transmission. The extra power was just a part of the package, and for Si owners to think that just by adding power they are beating "Type R's", you are all mislead. If you really want to beat or be compared to a Type R, transplant the whole underpinnings of a donor CTR, install this widebody or make the CTR body parts fit, and then say that you've created a better car. Who's up for that challenge? If not, then please stay put.

Enjoy the Sport Injected model from Si, and if you're building it like I am then don't worry about the CTR. As of last night I have a FBO Si, and backed it up with a Brembo BBK as well but nowhere do I think I'm building a Type R fighter. I'm building a unique Si as that's what I set out to do, along with many others who have well built Si's. Swinging an extra $150 tops monthly for a Type R payment would've been an easy proposition, almost cheat-code levels of easy because there's no extra work to piece together the parts + labour + research time etc. I like others chose the aftermarket route so I can make my Si my own, and more power to those making their CTR their own through mods.

This body kit is for the person who wants a unique sedan, because you will be 1 of a handful that will ever rock it. The 20,000+ Type R's all have the same widebody so saying that trading for a CTR is better than this body kit is the wrong way to look at it. Be happy with what you have :)"

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
My real-world mileage comparing my 2014 Si (2.4L NA engine) vs. the current 2019 CTR is 24.4 vs. 22.7. Not much of a hit and they both call for premium. I drive pretty aggressively. I’m sure I could get 4-5 more mpg if I babied it starting from stoplights, but that was true for both cars. I do not know what kind of mileage you should expect with the 1.5 Turbo on the new Si.
I have 49k miles on my 17 Si, my lifetime average us 37.1 mpg. I brought the average down a bit WHEN I went tuned and cobra race maf, but the MPG was the reason and do Not regret the purchase!

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I have 49k miles on my 17 Si, my lifetime average us 37.1 mpg. I brought the average down a bit WHEN I went tuned and cobra race maf, but the MPG was the reason and do Not regret the purchase!
You must be driving to Orlando and back for work!
Sponsored