For anyone thinking about removing their honeycomb lower grill to show their new intercooler

PolloPiccante

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback sport
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen For anyone thinking about removing their honeycomb lower grill to show their new intercooler 792E0453-A48E-4E80-AB7D-1D35E7ED3203

In this picture you can see I removed the honeycomb grill and it looks pretty sick and you see the big Mishimoto intercooler. Started off using a dremel on the blocked passage of the honeycomb but it became a real pain so I took off the bumper and removed it entirely instead. and it definitely did look sick. I did this at my friends house who had a Dremel and when I was going home I was driving 65 mph then all of a sudden I hear a big crack and i see my lower lip and passenger side fender liners flying on the street...
Honda Civic 10th gen For anyone thinking about removing their honeycomb lower grill to show their new intercooler EC22D93C-7A06-4214-9159-C8613C92D939
Honda Civic 10th gen For anyone thinking about removing their honeycomb lower grill to show their new intercooler 2F581438-1C03-4545-B682-0F2186CC3C79

you could see the lip in the fender liner “delete” lol and my side marker ripped in half (idk how) The driver side fender liner also broke but didn’t rip off. Luckily the day it happened must sign markers from @Suma Performance came in, so i have replacements already... The bumper isn’t entirely broken just the lip was cracked in half and instead of just buying the lip and both fenders from A Honda dealership which I estimated would’ve costed over $600 not including install, as my friend who works at a dealership showed me the price for OE pieces. Instead opted to buy from SoCal Accessories and buy a Type R conversion bumper thats paint matched and install it myself. Im located in San Diego and will have to borrow a car to pick up the bumper in 2 to 3 weeks. Corn is fine it’s not that bad but its extra spending I wasn’t planning... as long as I have the fender liners install I think I could drive my car at low speed but there is a chance something could hit my brand new intercooler...

DONT MESS WITH THE STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY OF YOUR CAR

MaoFC3

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Yikes, i did mine but i didnt take out all of the honeycomb trim, i left the two bulky parts at the end of the top corner ive gone at least 85 and mines is still solid, although i have a bayson R lip, what lip did you have?

OP
OP
PolloPiccante

PolloPiccante

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yikes, i did mine but i didnt take out all of the honeycomb trim, i left the two bulky parts at the end of the top corner ive gone at least 85 and mines is still solid, although i have a bayson R lip, what lip did you have?
The full bumper im getting from socal accessories comes with a type r style carbon finer lip, but i had the stock hatchback sport before that

MaoFC3

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen For anyone thinking about removing their honeycomb lower grill to show their new intercooler ECCA68A1-7930-4D16-B6E3-C824A4B3CD59

heres mine but i havent put on the splitter rods yet i was mock fitting it, the bayson r lip inserts into the oem lip which helps a bunch and im still debating if i want the splitter rods on or not since i originally wanted to make it more stable

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would definitely think having that either Tyler r more rigid lip or even better having a splitter would make things rigid enough. Good luck with all that. The look of the open front is awesome but yes you definitely sacrifice the structural integrity and or the possibility of a rock flying up and hitting your IC.
See you around town in San Diego. I'm in a SGP Type R.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Crazy story...what a mess who would've thought... honestly personally I could see myself doing a mistake like that...

OP
OP
PolloPiccante

PolloPiccante

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would definitely think having that either Tyler r more rigid lip or even better having a splitter would make things rigid enough. Good luck with all that. The look of the open front is awesome but yes you definitely sacrifice the structural integrity and or the possibility of a rock flying up and hitting your IC.
See you around town in San Diego. I'm in a SGP Type R.
You near eastlake/ chula vista? I saw a SGP
type r once at an in n out line

OP
OP
PolloPiccante

PolloPiccante

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ECCA68A1-7930-4D16-B6E3-C824A4B3CD59.jpeg

heres mine but i havent put on the splitter rods yet i was mock fitting it, the bayson r lip inserts into the oem lip which helps a bunch and im still debating if i want the splitter rods on or not since i originally wanted to make it more stable
If you do get rods you should move ur license might get in the way for your connection. I have another post on how to move you license plate for like $20. As you can see in the first pic from this thread. It holds really good, better than my lip lmao ?

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You near eastlake/ chula vista? I saw a SGP
type r once at an in n out line
Nope but used to go to church out in Eastlake a little over a year ago...but you know with covid and all haven't been back. I'm up in Clairemont.

MaoFC3

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If you do get rods you should move ur license might get in the way for your connection. I have another post on how to move you license plate for like $20. As you can see in the first pic from this thread. It holds really good, better than my lip lmao ?
I might just do that ? im making sure i get the right measurements

kelsireents

First Name
Kelsi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex Hatchback, 1996 Bmw 328is
Country flag
Now here’s another question to add to this thread. Has anyone paint matched the bottom part after doing the honey comb delete? I lowkey want to but idk if it’ll look weird, im adding a lip that i’ll be paint matching as well.

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
I didn't remove the entire grille piece, just cut out the mesh so that all the clips are still in place

Also had installed an aluminum bar inside the stock lip so it's not so flimsy with the mesh gone

I scrape every day and still no issues
Sponsored