Following suit: Introducing my new 2019 CTR, #24,174

evolute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Congrats! I see you're also a part of the had-to-drive-far-away-from-jacksonville-to-get-a-type-r-at-msrp club. Looks like we also traded in the same car too.
Not seriously looking, but would buy one if these Jacksonville dealers would get their act together. I also refuse to buy a car without a test drive. I had one dealership acting like I was an idiot for wanting to drive the caR.
Sponsored

OP
OP
WindJunkie

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
Not seriously looking, but would buy one if these Jacksonville dealers would get their act together. I also refuse to buy a car without a test drive. I had one dealership acting like I was an idiot for wanting to drive the caR.
Arlington Toyota on Atlantic Blvd had a used one they offered to let me test drive. I'm not sure if they still have it or not, it had a sketchy CarFax report but would be good to test drive at least. You could give it a shot

OP
OP
WindJunkie

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Congratulations! And good job on the deal. Where are you getting your window tints?
Thank you, I'm doing the tint and PPF research now...for PPF I am considering XPEL or 3M. I'd like to get both installed at the same garage, I'm open to suggestions

r712

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R (FK8) | 2017 Fit (GK5)
Country flag
I got my window tint done at Advance Window Tinting off of Sunbeam and they did a great job. Also liked that since they have their tint pre-cut by model, they didn't have to remove the spoiler to install. No idea if they do PPF though since I only opted for ceramic coating.

OP
OP
WindJunkie

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I got my window tint done at Advance Window Tinting off of Sunbeam and they did a great job. Also liked that since they have their tint pre-cut by model, they didn't have to remove the spoiler to install. No idea if they do PPF though since I only opted for ceramic coating.
Thanks I'll check them out

neveronline

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current '19 CW CTR #23856 & '18 Accord 2.0T Previous - 2015 WRX, 1999 SI, '04 S2000, '08 Evo X, '10 SI sedan, '11 Fit Sport, '11 WRX, '13 ILX
Country flag
congrats!

BallisticSquid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback, 2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Gorgeous car! I would have been a wreck watching them trying to maneuver the car through the showroom to get it out the door.

There is one in the showroom of my local dealership at MRSP + $8k. Did they let you test drive it? I wondered how that works. I can imagine that the dealership wouldn't want to be bringing that car in and out of the showroom for test drives, yet a customer isn't going to want to drop that kind of money and not get a test drive.

"Arrest Me Red" LOL. My son wanted me to get my EX in Rallye red and I told him that it would be a cop magnet :). I'm more stealthy in Polished Metal Metallic.

OP
OP
WindJunkie

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
yet a customer isn't going to want to drop that kind of money and not get a test drive.
I actually never drove the CTR before I bought it. I've only owned Civics in my adult life, this is the third one, so I knew there was no chance of not taking it home

evolute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Arlington Toyota on Atlantic Blvd had a used one they offered to let me test drive. I'm not sure if they still have it or not, it had a sketchy CarFax report but would be good to test drive at least. You could give it a shot
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll have to check it out.

Jinba-Ittai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Thank you, I'm doing the tint and PPF research now...for PPF I am considering XPEL or 3M. I'd like to get both installed at the same garage, I'm open to suggestions
Be very careful with who you choose to install PPF. Many will claim to be PPF installers, but only a select few have the experience and proper technique (no bubbles, stretch marks, etc.). PPF is mostly about the installer, than the product. Many people are not able to tell the difference between a bad and a good install without knowing what to look for.
1. This guy appears to be the most experienced in your area: Cool Conceptz and has done at least 1 CTR based on his instagram
https://www.facebook.com/coolconceptzllc/
http://clearbraofjax.com/?fbclid=IwAR1_LEebc7pt2JFTbGZfBsFIJmI5a1ZgU6tScV_TFHl3wfIzHhlpvqqOUzY

2. Auto Paint Guard in Tampa most experienced PPF installer in Central/North FL. Ryan Burroughs/owner has nearly 20 yrs of experience. He recently did work in a GT3 as shown in the obsessed garage Youtube Chanel. His shop has done a few Type Rs already. http://www.autopaintguard.com/paint-protection-film/. He also does Suntek which looks better and is easier to remove than Xpel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WindJunkie

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Be very careful with who you choose to install PPF
Thanks for the info, yeah I saw Cool Conceptz here locally. After reading and YouTubing about PPF the last few days, I'm having a bit of "paralysis from analysis". Since I park my CTR in a garage at home and a garage at work, and don't do that much highway driving, I'm starting to think the $1000+ it cost isn't worth it given my driving situation. That said, rock chips can come from just about any speed and on any road, so I guess in some regard I'm willing to take the risk. My last Si had brutal hard water stains from irrigation systems over spraying at the condo I used to live in. I've since moved and have a garage now so I'm able to regularly avoid reclaimed water sprinkler system that can otherwise be a pesky problem to deal with here in FL in any given parking lot.

However, in light of your recommendation, and given that I'm from Tampa and go back frequently, I think Auto Paint Guard in Tampa would be my choice given the experience if I do move forward with PPF. The website has hundreds of prior PPF install photos, very impressive work, and certainly on cars 2x or more costly than a CTR. After washing the CTR this morning, I put a coat of wax on just so I have some layer of protection for now. I imagine I'll be back to Tampa in the next month or two so I can pay that guy a visit and get a quote.

Thanks again for the info
Sponsored