Folding in side view mirrors?

reversals

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
The owner's manual recommends folding in the mirrors before driving through an automatic car wash. I'm more interested in folding them in for tight parking spaces.

Has anyone had any luck folding in their side view mirrors? I've tried to push them in toward the door with no luck. Although, I wonder if I'm not pushing them hard enough because I'm too afraid to break something.
Sponsored

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
The owner's manual recommends folding in the mirrors before driving through an automatic car wash. I'm more interested in folding them in for tight parking spaces.

Has anyone had any luck folding in their side view mirrors? I've tried to push them in toward the door with no luck. Although, I wonder if I'm not pushing them hard enough because I'm too afraid to break something.
I haven't done it on the 2016 model I just picked up a few nights ago, but they definitely look like they fold in. I'd be shocked if they didn't given they are so long. If they are anything like my 2013 Si was, it pivots around the the joint that connects the mirror itself to the door. For the driver's side, I'd gently grasp the inside of the mirror (on the driver window glass side), put your other hand on the outside of the mirror, and with light pressure, push your right hand upward and your left hand backward (so a counter clockwise position if you're facing the painted part of the mirror.

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I have, they actually fold the other directions - towards the hood/front. It was weird at first, I did it by accident.

Arkbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
The must fold both ways then because I've folded them in towards the door. It doesn't lie completely flat against the door and window but it makes more room.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
The must fold both ways then because I've folded them in towards the door. It doesn't lie completely flat against the door and window but it makes more room.
This sounds about right. I rarely folded my mirrors on my 2013 in during car washes, and the few times I went through touch washes (I know, shame!), it usually knocked the passenger side one backward away from the car.

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I'll have to check mine out tomorrow, but yeah, it was weird when I folded it. I've never seen it that way before.

OP
OP
reversals

reversals

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Well what do you know, they do fold both ways lol
The first pic almost looks like the mirror got smashed in lol. Anyways, thanks for clearing that up. Honda doesn't always have breakthrough designs, but it's the small things that amaze me.

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
man ive never seen side mirror fold towards the hood almost look scary LOL
That's because they're not really supposed to. They're hinged both ways (as they are on most cars) so that if someone hits the mirror while going past you, it just bends forward instead of breaking off. That said, they're designed to be stored by bending in, not out.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
Would love it if they auto-folded when in Park (or maybe manually by hitting a button).

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, Black w/ Ivory interior
Country flag

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
My guess is this is to prevent accidental damage, and it is a fantastic feature if so! Consider the situation should you accidentally clip a parked car (without folding mirrors) just enough that your mirror touches his. (The horror! But still, consider it.) While you're driving forward, the impact would collapse your mirror back toward the car body, like a typical folding mirror, with hopefully just some minimal scratches to the paint. Now consider the reverse situation, where your car is parked and someone clips you. With a typical one-direction folding mirror, the impact would push your mirror in the unfoldable direction and it would snap right off. That happened to me once while my 2010 civic was parked on the street. With a mirror that folds in both directions, it would ideally collapse gracefully no matter what direction it gets impacted.

corbygray528

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-Z
Country flag
The mirrors on my 2001 Accord folded forward as well. I thought this was what all cars are like.

joe2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Silly question but i noticed you have the touring as well. Did you move the mirrors by hand or by using the buttons inside? The buttons inside just move the mirror part right? they don't move the casing right? I am guessing Casing needs to be moved by hand?
Sponsored