Floating feeling at high speeds fk7

Gherbo23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
after about 85 mph in Mexico, I feel like my car weighs 0 lbs and it just takes off. Im running TSP stage 1, and this happens at high boost and acceleration. It feels like my car could lift off the ground at any second. The tune and acceleration is pretty incredible but it really is scary when it feels like you could fly at any second, especially the back end.

possible causes I can think of:
Poor alignment from lowering springs
Weak tires (stock conti)
Rear roof spoiler delete and replaced with vortex generators. No type r wing

I’m getting my wheels and tires replaced and a full alignment on Monday so I’ll see if that helps me out. Any chance it’s the changes in aero by putting on those vortex generators? I plan to put a duck bill on the trunk, but wanted to pass on the type r spoiler. I can’t see that being such a dramatic difference with aerodynamics. Maybe I’ll ask my physics professor ?
Sponsored

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
That's normal; your car produces lift at speed. It's not a racecar.

2017touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring (Black on Black); 2018 Mustang GT
Country flag
The car is a commuter car at its core and is built that way on purpose. It a people hauler/grocery getter that gets decent gas mileage. When we increase power and push its limits beyond what the suspension and aero is designed to do, I guess feeling the car being floaty is expected. Now, I was doing 110mph just this past weekend and my Civic touring did not feel floaty, in fact I liked how planted it felt. My other car is a 2018 Mustang GT which is a much more buttoned down car and built for speed but not for a moment did I think the Civic was floaty and made me feel unsafe at those speeds.

Have your alignment checked and having good tires makes a difference too I guess. Its my first Civic ever so not sure what I am supposed to expect as far as driving feel is concerned.

Last edited:

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Don’t have this issue and regularly above 70/80mph.

LoneWolf77

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
80 mph isn't really that fast in a civic. I would definitely get your alignment checked. How worn are your tires too? Are your shocks working correctly?

OP
OP
Gherbo23

Gherbo23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
80 mph isn't really that fast in a civic. I would definitely get your alignment checked. How worn are your tires too? Are your shocks working correctly?

I’m thinking it’s alignment + tires since I installed springs myself and haven’t gotten it done yet. Tires are still good tread but they’re also not a performance tire to begin with and spin if I accelerate too hard from a low speed. I have wheels waiting to install right now, tires coming Monday then full mount balance & alignment when I have time to go. Got the av26 in matte black 18x8.5 +35 and g force Comp 2 plus A/S 235/40/18. Should be a big leap in traction

Qchon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7 Sport Touring Polished Metallic
Country flag
I actually thought it handled pretty well for a Civic at high speeds. I'm stock w The ContiPros. I doubt my rear spoiler helps ig at all, I've got the bigger optional one
Sponsored