Flexible Plastic Replacement Lower Engine Covers as Found on E-Bay?

cydwel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
When putting in my cold air intake, I dropped a socket into the engine bay. So I quickly put my Si up on ramps, took off the metal lower engine cover, found the socket, and - I thought - carefully replaced all of the clips, quick release fasteners, and, importantly, the two screws up front.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago: I'm out enjoying my car on a beautiful day on a fitting Missouri back road. Awesome. Until I hear, "SCRAPE!" I pull over, look underneath, and the front of that soda-can thickness pan is hanging down. So I re-tucked the metal underneath the plastic trim, turned off Sport Mode, drove home calmly, and called College Hills Honda for the screws, which arrived two days later.

But did I immediately put the screws on? No.
Did I hit a dead animal carcass on the road the very next day? Yes.
Did that bend the "F" out of that tray? Yes.
Did I do research here and other places and find out that you cannot buy *just* that tray - you have to buy the entire front end lower protection kit for right at $200? Yes.
So did I do my best to pound the tray flat? Yes.
Was I able to reasonably put it back on the car? Yes.
Did I use my new screws - and this time - make SURE they were tight? Yes.

But here's what I am wondering: On Ebay, one can find flexible plastic replacements for that metal tray for just above $100 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-For-H...Car-Shield-Cover-Board-2016-2018/174248884295 )

Has anyone tried them? And if so, what are your thoughts?
Sponsored

Teach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 1.5T EX
Country flag
I also need to replace the shield. I easily found the pre-2016 model replacements, but haven even found the kit you refer to for $200. Do you know Honda's name for that?

I'm also curious about this flexible shield.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
If the plastic is as thick and strong as they indicate with the photograph of the person standing on it folded in half, that might provide even better protection against rocks, sticks, or other piercing debris.

Because the two front screws of the OEM metal shield thread into the shield itself, I am unsure how they mount the front of this thing.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Try local dismantlers or people on Craigslist parting their car out.

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
When putting in my cold air intake, I dropped a socket into the engine bay. So I quickly put my Si up on ramps, took off the metal lower engine cover, found the socket, and - I thought - carefully replaced all of the clips, quick release fasteners, and, importantly, the two screws up front.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago: I'm out enjoying my car on a beautiful day on a fitting Missouri back road. Awesome. Until I hear, "SCRAPE!" I pull over, look underneath, and the front of that soda-can thickness pan is hanging down. So I re-tucked the metal underneath the plastic trim, turned off Sport Mode, drove home calmly, and called College Hills Honda for the screws, which arrived two days later.

But did I immediately put the screws on? No.
Did I hit a dead animal carcass on the road the very next day? Yes.
Did that bend the "F" out of that tray? Yes.
Did I do research here and other places and find out that you cannot buy *just* that tray - you have to buy the entire front end lower protection kit for right at $200? Yes.
So did I do my best to pound the tray flat? Yes.
Was I able to reasonably put it back on the car? Yes.
Did I use my new screws - and this time - make SURE they were tight? Yes.

But here's what I am wondering: On Ebay, one can find flexible plastic replacements for that metal tray for just above $100 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-For-H...Car-Shield-Cover-Board-2016-2018/174248884295 )

Has anyone tried them? And if so, what are your thoughts?
I have seen several posts of people that where going to try this and report back....I have never seen anyone report back. If you go this route you could give your thoughts on it.

Other options:
Cover for the Type-R fits but the vents in the shield are in different locations, cost is about 45 bucks. Part number 74114-TGH-A00

Someone makes a custom thicker aluminum cover: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/skid-plate-for-10th-gen.46420/

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I’ve ordered it. I’ll keep you all posted.
Hopefully you can install it without having to drill any holes. I'm also interested if it's actually yellow like.pictured or black.

OP
OP
cydwel

cydwel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
“Hopefully you can install it without having to drill any holes. I'm also interested if it's actually yellow like.pictured or black.”

I’ll post pictures and a review here.

rtexan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RR Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Any updates on this? Just ran over a dead deer fml :mad:

Syseen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT, 1982 Suzuki GS750T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well just like everyone else here. My skid plate is dragging. I hit some ice and the thing is mangled so I ordered this same plastic skid plate off of ebay.

I was hoping someone would show how it installs but looks like I'll have to play some jazz and figure it out. I'll post back layer today once it gets a little above freezing today.

Honda Civic 10th gen Flexible Plastic Replacement Lower Engine Covers as Found on E-Bay? 20210306_083700

OP
OP
cydwel

cydwel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Let me know how it goes.
Despite being the OP here, I’ve yet to put mine on - and for the same reason: it seems like too much of a puzzle!

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Go return it. Doesn't fit at all, at least on an ex.

20210306_105629.jpg
I'm sorry the part didn't fit, but your vid made me laugh. If it had been me, I would have been saying the same things. Hope you find a replacement that fits.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag