Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
i didn't remove the parts. I just removed the flex fuel kit and went back to 91 octane.

The fuel system is so weak that it just wasn't worth the hassle to me. Not to mention having to blend and losing some mpg on an already small tank.
I will revisit once a better fuel system is available and see.
Ah the stock fuel system is too weak. I understand now. Hell, once a better fuel system is available will the internals be able to handle all the extra power? It seems like folks are already teetering on the edge right now.
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Ah the stock fuel system is too weak. I understand now. Hell, once a better fuel system is available will the internals be able to handle all the extra power? It seems like folks are already teetering on the edge right now.
it ran good though on E30 though, don't get me wrong. I had to do many revisions though from the base map that was provided. I was dropping fuel pressure like a mofo on the provided base maps.

as long as you don't give the engine gobs of low end torque, it should be ok. I'm not really aiming for that high though. I'm probably around 340 hp with 91 and just looking to get around 400 really. If i had 93 octane here, i'd probably be satisified enough tbh

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
it ran good though on E30 though, don't get me wrong. I had to do many revisions though from the base map that was provided. I was dropping fuel pressure like a mofo on the provided base maps.

as long as you don't give the engine gobs of low end torque, it should be ok. I'm not really aiming for that high though. I'm probably around 340 hp with 91 and just looking to get around 400 really. If i had 93 octane here, i'd probably be satisified enough tbh
91 octane is hard to find here. 93 is all over the place. I wouldn't mind my car having around another 100hp and torque. I'm just paranoid to proceed with any mods.

BerzerkerX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
91 octane is hard to find here. 93 is all over the place. I wouldn't mind my car having around another 100hp and torque. I'm just paranoid to proceed with any mods.
I am running flex fuel, intercooler and a tune. I havemt dyno'd it but would like to say its close to 370hp and 395tq, if not more, but not really sure.

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm running the PRL Flex Fuel kit, and would highly recommend it. Better mount, better wiring and fully plug and play.

I also have PRL HV intake, PRL front pipe, and ran E27 mix with 91. When I did a virtual dyno run, numbers were around 396/379 whp/wtq.

Last edited:

Bighouse20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm running the PRL Flex Fuel kit, and would highly recommend it. Better mount, better wiring and fully plug and play.

I also have PRL HV intake, PRL front pipe, and ran E30 mix with 91. When I did a virtual dyno run, numbers were around 396/379 whp/wtq.
are you running with the fuel pump duty limit?

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
yeah and thats with hondatas afr. you'll run out of fuel even quicker if you do richen the afr too. It's really unfortunate they put such a weak fuel system in this car. Can't even handle a bolt on tuned car.

i personally don't believe flex fuel to be worth if you have access to 93 octane. For people on the west coast who only has 91 octane, i can see it being useful for slightly more power over 91.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
yeah and thats with hondatas afr. you'll run out of fuel even quicker if you do richen the afr too. It's really unfortunate they put such a weak fuel system in this car. Can't even handle a bolt on tuned car.

i personally don't believe flex fuel to be worth if you have access to 93 octane. For people on the west coast who only has 91 octane, i can see it being useful for slightly more power over 91.
I have access to 93. It's super hard to even find 91 here. 93 is everywhere. Why do you think the flex fuel isn't worth it if you have access to 93? Are the numbers not that much different if you're running a tune on 93 or a flex kit/tune combo where 91 is only available?

Bighouse20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I ran into issues with 93 and E30. Maxes out at E15 even. Also, right now im running E23 and It's making air charge choppy, and the car surges at peak boost (hits around 23)

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
I have access to 93. It's super hard to even find 91 here. 93 is everywhere. Why do you think the flex fuel isn't worth it if you have access to 93? Are the numbers not that much different if you're running a tune on 93 or a flex kit/tune combo where 91 is only available?
What he's saying is that a tuned 93 map vs. a tuned flex fuel map on the stock fuel system may not provide enough gains to justify the expense. In my case, I gained 27whp/14wtq when comparing tuned flex fuel map (running 40% E85) vs. just 93. If I were to stop modding right then and there, then it would not have been worth it for me. But when I bought the flex fuel kit, I had planned to do more down the road (turbo upgrade, fuel system upgrade) when they became available, so flex fuel would've made an even bigger difference over 93.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
i personally believe it to be not worth it if you have access to 93 because the power figures are not different. Especially once you are custom tuned. The slight gains over 93 isn't worth the hassle of having to blend. I think Drob got like 15hp/0 torque gain over 93 when he tuned it on E25. You have to dial back a lot of boost in order to stop the pump from maxing out. Less boost and same power isn't necessary a bad thing but it does come with more hassle.

now if you only have 91 octane, the gain can be worth it for some since you can get 93 octane power without having to blend 100 octane with 91 to get 93. I ran E27 on a map that i modified myself before but ultimately got rid of the kit and went back to pump gas and had it tuned by drob.

Once a bigger fuel system option is available, i will revisit though.

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1995 Civic EG K24/20 EFR7163 Fortune Auto track weapon
Country flag
hi guys. great discussion! how about someone like me, who has a totally non modified car (no exhaust no downpipe no intake no nothing) and wants the biggest easiest stealthiest bang for the buck? I was considering the Flex fuel setup for the best easiest safest gains on a otherwise non modded car. i live on the east coast where 93 is widely available (its what i fill up with every day) and E85 is around too; my plan would be to put about 4 gal of E85 in with 6 gal of 93 most times. what are your opinions for my special case of thought?

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
hi guys. great discussion! how about someone like me, who has a totally non modified car (no exhaust no downpipe no intake no nothing) and wants the biggest easiest stealthiest bang for the buck? I was considering the Flex fuel setup for the best easiest safest gains on a otherwise non modded car. i live on the east coast where 93 is widely available (its what i fill up with every day) and E85 is around too; my plan would be to put about 4 gal of E85 in with 6 gal of 93 most times. what are your opinions for my special case of thought?
Custom tuned Hondata reflash for 93 would be the best bang for the buck. No need for Flex Fuel if you don't plan to do anything else to the car.
Sponsored