Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
So I have a FBO Si, upgraded clutch and other mods as well. I was considering going flex fuel for some more power. As I read more into it it seems the stage 2 tunes actually lower boost, but adjust timing etc. My question is, is it really that much of a difference if we are lowering the amount of boost, say compared to TSP stage 1 FBO? Is it really worth the $500 for the flex fuel kit and the 200$ for the tune, as well as time or installation? Or would it be recommended to just wait and go big turbo? I want more power and for this platform it seems my only options are flex fuel or turbo at this point. Just want some opinions from some people who have some experience and have been through this already. Obviously the big turbo would be better, but I'm somewhat on a budget and was hoping the e85 kit would give me some extra power without breaking the bank. Thanks.
Sponsored

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
Both. Lol. But I’m biased. I went flex fuel and turbo at the same time. Flex fuel will give you a decent amount of power, but Id go with an actual tune if I were you and not just a basemap.

OP
OP
Turtle_714

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Both. Lol. But I’m biased. I went flex fuel and turbo at the same time. Flex fuel will give you a decent amount of power, but Id go with an actual tune if I were you and not just a basemap.
Plus I've got Hondata, and I'd like to stay with TSP since I like their stage 1 tune. But I guess the stage 2 tune only comes on Ktuner. Looks like I'd have to get a custom tune (499$) and I'm thinking at that point I'm almost in the big turbo range. For a W1 or Pure Turbo anyways. Decisions decisions lol ?

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
Plus I've got Hondata, and I'd like to stay with TSP since I like their stage 1 tune. But I guess the stage 2 tune only comes on Ktuner. Looks like I'd have to get a custom tune (499$) and I'm thinking at that point I'm almost in the big turbo range. For a W1 or Pure Turbo anyways. Decisions decisions lol ?
I’ll be selling my w1 soon if interested.

OP
OP
Turtle_714

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I’ll be selling my w1 soon if interested.
I think that would be what a good fit for me. Get a turbo I like and for a cheaper price. PM me with the details if you get around to selling it.

2020MSMcivicSI

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I would definitely recommend a custom tune first. While I'm not ready for it yet on this platform, it made a world of difference on my FBO WRX... Totally different car in a good way after custom tune. You can even do over email tune to save a few $$$ over a dyno tune.

And while you are enjoying your new power and smooth performance... Save up for that turbo and another tune.

And you definitely need to get tuned after a new turbo so any option you choose, there's gonna be the cost of a tune.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I decided to get flex fuel and not a big turbo. I did it because I wanted the lower end torque for daily driving. Ethanol gives me more torque when the turbo isn't even on pressure! Makes driving around town more pleasant. I feel like my engine has more than 1.5L. The stock turbo comes in at lower rpm too which also helps intown drivability. My CTR clutch also helps me get away quicker from stoplights too! I am sure I would quickly burn up a stock clutch the way I drive.

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I have a FBO Si, upgraded clutch and other mods as well. I was considering going flex fuel for some more power. As I read more into it it seems the stage 2 tunes actually lower boost, but adjust timing etc. My question is, is it really that much of a difference if we are lowering the amount of boost, say compared to TSP stage 1 FBO? Is it really worth the $500 for the flex fuel kit and the 200$ for the tune, as well as time or installation? Or would it be recommended to just wait and go big turbo? I want more power and for this platform it seems my only options are flex fuel or turbo at this point. Just want some opinions from some people who have some experience and have been through this already. Obviously the big turbo would be better, but I'm somewhat on a budget and was hoping the e85 kit would give me some extra power without breaking the bank. Thanks.
I'm honestly more partial to longevity of a turbo upgrade to flex fuel, if you care about that of course. I've worked on enough track cars running ethanol (replacing fuel senders, filters, lines, injectors, etc) to know it can be quite damaging. Of course upgraded internals will finish the job right but I'd go for the turbo if you're worried about longevity. If not then I say send her and go both ?

OP
OP
Turtle_714

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm honestly more partial to longevity of a turbo upgrade to flex fuel, if you care about that of course. I've worked on enough track cars running ethanol (replacing fuel senders, filters, lines, injectors, etc) to know it can be quite damaging. Of course upgraded internals will finish the job right but I'd go for the turbo if you're worried about longevity. If not then I say send her and go both ?
Thanks man. This is my daily so longevity is pretty important to me. I understand modding and harsh driving will shorten the life of any car ultimately, and I'm ok with that. But of course I'd still like to get all I can out of the car, hopefully several years to come.

Roadster1976

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5/ Honda Fit
Country flag
Turtle I ran e85 on my 18 Miata for 30k and not a single problem.Just do it,you're going to love that extra ?.Make sure to get it tune though.E85 is cleaner than gas.Enjoy.

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
New cars might handle it better. The cars I worked on with E85 were older, 944 turbos and the like. So up to your discretion. I prefer to err on the side of caution, with a turbo at least you don't have to worry about the possibility of any fuel components degrading.
Sponsored