milkyZ5

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hello. I currently own a 2020 civic hatchback sport CVT :(.
It currently has a catted PRL downpipe, PRL Sri, borla catback exhaust, and Ktuner with the tsp stage 1 tune.
I want to know if it's a good idea to purchase the flex fuel kit, or would I be pushing my CVT too much? Will I need a tune to run the kit? Thanks!
Sponsored

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 FBO Civic SI Coupe (Sold)
Country flag
Not sure on pushing the CVT too hard but you will need a new tune. TSP and Phearable both offer good flex fuel tunes, if you're going the route of an off the shelf tune.

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
imo not worth it to going flex fuel for cvt. You're already close to hitting the limit of the CVT. And you're gonna need to get a custom tune. There's no off the shelf tune from TSP or Phearable .

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 FBO Civic SI Coupe (Sold)
Country flag
You're right, my bad. Guess it's only the R and SI with flex fuel tunes off the shelf.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
You've got a hatchback so I'd be less worried about the cvt and more so the rods.

OP
OP

milkyZ5

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Thanks guys for the replies. I guess I'll just stick to what I have.

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You'll need a tune for the flex fuel kit. Be aware, flex fuel conversions may cause fuel hose degradation and not just the CVT you have to worry about but also the rods like @CVTsport18 already mentioned previously as well.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello. I currently own a 2020 civic hatchback sport CVT :(.
It currently has a catted PRL downpipe, PRL Sri, borla catback exhaust, and Ktuner with the tsp stage 1 tune.
I want to know if it's a good idea to purchase the flex fuel kit, or would I be pushing my CVT too much? Will I need a tune to run the kit? Thanks!
I see lots of comments from people who got no real experience chiming in here. So let's clarify.

1). Is it going to push the CVT too much?

Not really. It all comes down to the driver. There are folks who blow up their cars stock and those heavily modded that still go around with no issues.

For example I am 300+whp on my setup. Been running FBO + upgraded turbo + eblend on a custom tune for almost 3 years now. Stock motor and stock cvt. I just keep up on my maintenance and know how to treat my car. I'm tuned by D.Rob at IMW.

I've taken my car to the drag strip multiple times and to the track multiple times. Proper fluids, proper cooldown periods, and proper maintenance.

2). If you want maxmize the benefits of e85 then you would need a tune. On the ktuner basemaps you can enable flex fuel in the options but the tables don't change much iirc from what Ktuner has stated.

The only company I know that makes an OTS tune for e85 for the CVT is on the Hondata platform sold by PowerMetric (aka D.Butler)

Now I personally wouldn't trust it as I've seen multiple stories and personally know a friend who threw a rod with that tune.

So if you want to maximize e85, go grab a custom tune. If you are modding the car more than a few bolts ons to begin with, I would get a custom tune anyways.

Last edited:

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I see lots of comments from people who got no real experience chiming in here. So let's clarify.

Not really. It all comes down to the driver. There are folks who blow up their cars stock and those heavily modded that still go around with no issues.

For example I am 300+whp on my setup. Been running FBO + upgraded turbo + eblend on a custom tuner for almost 3 years now. Stock motor and stock cvt. I just keep up on my maintenance and know how to treat my car. I'm tuned by D.Rob at IMW.

I've taken my car to the drag strip multiple times and to the track multiple times. Proper fluids, proper cooldown periods, and proper maintenance.

2). If you want maxmize the benefits of e85 then you would need a tune. On the ktuner basemaps you can enable flex fuel in the options but the tables don't change much iirc from what Ktuner has stated.

The only company I know that makes an OTS tune for e85 for the CVT is on the Hondata platform sold by PowerMetric (aka D.Butler)

Now I personally wouldn't trust it as I've seen multiple stories and personally know a friend who threw a rod with that tune.

So if you want to maximize e85, go grab a custom tune. If you are modding the car more than a few bolts ons to begin with, I would get a custom tune anyways.
Did you experience fuel hose disintegration?

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

For example I am 300+whp on my setup. Been running FBO + upgraded turbo + eblend on a custom tune for almost 3 years now. Stock motor and stock cvt. I just keep up on my maintenance and know how to treat my car. I'm tuned by D.Rob at IMW.

How much torque are you running?

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Flex fuel kit issafk7 imw.PNG

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

How much boost or psi are you running?
Sponsored