MaoFC3

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Im new to this whole flex fuel kit stuff and never heard of it until I got on this platform. On my other thread I went ahead and bought the short shifter and I thank everyone for their input but now I got a good deal on a flex fuel kit and I just wanted to know a bit more before I blow something up, im getting the PRL kit btw.

I plan on getting the TSP stage 2 and just had a couple of questions:

I have to have the kit installed before running the TSP stage 2?

Lets say I got lazy and didn’t want to run flex fuel would I be able to run full 93 no problem?

if i decided I wanted to have some fun would i have to use up the full tank of gas then proceed to blend for E30/E40 with 93? Or would I just add the ethanol to the existing amount of fuel in the tank Ive seen youtube videos and usually i see them use up all their tank before filling up with E.

Im 100% overthinking this but better safe than sorry?
Sponsored

Si2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If running TSP stage 2 you will need to have the kit installed as it uses the information sent to it by the flex fuel sensor. Without the kit installed it would be getting false readings.

When you have the kit installed and the TSP 2 tune installed you can run full 93 octane or a mix of 93 and e85. It will adjust accordingly.

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
You'll need flex fuel kit. I wouldn't personally mess around with it, i'd just do whatever the tune calls for. Should be shooting for whatever the tune calls for e content wise which i think is e30—there's a bunch of calculators to help with that based on how much gas is in your tank and how much e is in the gas already from the pump.

A lot of factors to consider. Highly recommend doing a custom tune, to me they're going to give you the best results beyond what any "stage" will give you.

OP
OP
MaoFC3

MaoFC3

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks for your input guys

Ghosted

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi,
If I have a 1.5t non-Si could I use TSP stage 2 flex fuel tune or the Phearable 2.5 tune? Everything is for Si. I can’t find a flex fuel tune for non Si.

Thanks in advance

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi,
If I have a 1.5t non-Si could I use TSP stage 2 flex fuel tune or the Phearable 2.5 tune? Everything is for Si. I can’t find a flex fuel tune for non Si.

Thanks in advance
The TSP and Phearable canned flex fuel tunes are only for si. You can contact either of them for a custom flex fuel tune for your non si no problem, just a little more expensive of course. Ktuner base maps also include flex fuel support but their power is on par with TSP or Phearable non flex fuel tunes.

@MaoFC3 you can actually run the flex fuel tune before you install the kit BUT you will need to unplug the ECT2 plug from the bottom passenger corner of the radiator and leave nothing plugged in. This is where the FFC plugs into to give the ethanol % reading. If nothing is plugged in, your ethanol reading will be 0% and you will be fine. This is easy to access through the passenger side fake vent.

With a 0% reading your stage 2 tune will be identical to their stage 1 offering. Once you get the kit installed, plug the FFC into that ECT2 port on the rad, fill it about 50/50 e85/91 and you're good to go. If you're not sure about your ratio, leave a couple gallons from full so you can add more gas or ethanol to correct but it's honestly really simple. Make sure to put ethanol readout on your tunerview so you can always watch it live. That way it will be impossible to mess up your ratio.

OP
OP
MaoFC3

MaoFC3

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The TSP and Phearable canned flex fuel tunes are only for si. You can contact either of them for a custom flex fuel tune for your non si no problem, just a little more expensive of course. Ktuner base maps also include flex fuel support but their power is on par with TSP or Phearable non flex fuel tunes.

@MaoFC3 you can actually run the flex fuel tune before you install the kit BUT you will need to unplug the ECT2 plug from the bottom passenger corner of the radiator and leave nothing plugged in. This is where the FFC plugs into to give the ethanol % reading. If nothing is plugged in, your ethanol reading will be 0% and you will be fine. This is easy to access through the passenger side fake vent.

With a 0% reading your stage 2 tune will be identical to their stage 1 offering. Once you get the kit installed, plug the FFC into that ECT2 port on the rad, fill it about 50/50 e85/91 and you're good to go. If you're not sure about your ratio, leave a couple gallons from full so you can add more gas or ethanol to correct but it's honestly really simple. Make sure to put ethanol readout on your tunerview so you can always watch it live. That way it will be impossible to mess up your ratio.
thanks for the information bro, a year later and no regrets!

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
typical gas as the pump is E10 which translates to about 8% ethanol. if the FFK thinks you're at 0% ethanol it'll pull fuel and your fuel trims will be out of wack. while I'm sure it'll work out.. the best advice is not to run a flex tune until you confirm your FFK is working properly.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The factory fuel trims are like -4 rich anyway. Presumably because most people are using E10. I've pulled the FFC off while running a low ethanol content and my stft and ltft were ok.

Here's a line from PRL "Our CNC machined billet aluminum MAF Housing was designed to provide *factory-spec fuel trims (-4% of factory STFT & LTFT) for optimal drivability and performance."
Sponsored