EmoEXT
First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum as of 22 hours ago from this post (lol) and after hours and hours of reading through different threads, I’m wondering if I should get the PRL Flex Fuel kit for my Civic EX-T w/ the CVT. I’m going to get a KTuner with my next paycheck (I’m an essential worker) and going to experiment with that. Would running an e40 blend and whatever OTS tune suited for e85 be too much power gain for the CVT or would I be okay? Also, this is a lease and I plan on buying the lease out after it’s up because car payments suck unless Honda comes out with a shiftable automatic for the Si or Type R because driving stick in downtown Seattle sucks even worse. If not, I’m going to just stick with my EX-T. Would love any feedback or advice. Thanks!
Sponsored

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum as of 22 hours ago from this post (lol) and after hours and hours of reading through different threads, I’m wondering if I should get the PRL Flex Fuel kit for my Civic EX-T w/ the CVT. I’m going to get a KTuner with my next paycheck (I’m an essential worker) and going to experiment with that. Would running an e40 blend and whatever OTS tune suited for e85 be too much power gain for the CVT or would I be okay? Also, this is a lease and I plan on buying the lease out after it’s up because car payments suck unless Honda comes out with a shiftable automatic for the Si or Type R because driving stick in downtown Seattle sucks even worse. If not, I’m going to just stick with my EX-T. Would love any feedback or advice. Thanks!
If you use the base map ktuner or hondata provides you will be fine, if you go into the custom tune with disregard to the 250 torque limit on the CVTs then you are hitting the “at your own risk” area. I have been running my flex fuel kit with the hondata base map tune for about ~6k miles and have had zero issues with reliability. Or any concerns. A few tips/pointers I would like to point out though that many people don’t know about E85 are:​
- your gas mileage will take a hit, a gallon of E85 does not has have the kinetic power as a gallon of pump gas so it requires more E85 to be at the same level - about 40% more (hence the shitty gas mileage). The power gains of E85 is that it increases engine timing because it is considered 100/105 octane.
- all gas stations do not give out straight E85, if you read the fine print it can be anywhere from E65-E85... my tip is if it cost more then there’s more gasoline in it than ethanol. The cheaper it is the higher the ethanol content since ethanol is cheaper than pump gas
- it’s not meant for cold weather, if you have a good amount of an ethanol content then your car will struggle to turn on during cold starts. It’s no issues it just falls back into the first point that there’s less kinetic energy than pump gas. So it’ll turn on but you will hear it try to turn over a little longer than normal. It’s not an issue, but it’ll sound like an older car trying to start lol
- ethanol makes oil acidic so you better have a good quality oil brand. It is recommended to run 5w-30 if your going to consistently run ethanol. I use Amsoil Signature Series 0w-20 since it is a super high quality synthetic oil and do my oil changes roughly every 5k-7k miles. I have had my oil analyzed and there was nothing to worry about so I’m going to stick with it, unless I see results I don’t like then I’ll switch to amsoil’s 5w-30.
- don’t let the car sit for long periods of time without driving the car (with E85 in the tank). If you let it sit then you’ll have a separation in the fuel where there’s water present and if the fuel pump sucks up that water then... dead engine. 2 weeks without driving your car is fine, but I wouldn’t go anything past that

Last edited:

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
1st
Your L15 engine is not susceptible (prone) to knock - that is how you can run 87Oct without issue.
2nd
E85 (depending on season) isn’t always 105Oct. Yes, you would have a flex fuel kit that would have an ethanol sensor, but without a “custom” tune you won’t achieve the full benefit from it. Unless, your tuner increases your Timing Advance or Boost OR Both. Now, we are talking about a CVT so that is your downfall there. Besides, the Base (CAN) tunes that adjust for E85 are more than likely very mild in their adjustment and netting you (maybe) another 5% HP/TQ.
3rd
Since you are opting for the KTuner and you obviously want more power; I would suggest obtaining the TSP tune as well. That is the “Creme de la Creme” of CAN tunes. Get an IC to provide you the addt’l cooling you desire and stay on the 92Oct that the Pacific NW has available.
4th
Since you are on a lease, be certain that the “End Plan” is to purchase the vehicle at lease end. If the dealer registers that “Flash Counter” upon return and you are not purchasing it - you will be stuck with that car. To include any issues that arise prior to that point.
5th
Just understand, that when opting for the tuning route you forego the option to exercise vehicle warranty.
6th
I assure you, that with any CAN option from KTuner and adhering to a well disciplined maintenance schedule that you won’t run into engine issues. BUT anyone can damage many other areas of a vehicle if they abuse it.

hope that provides some direction and introspection.

OP
OP
KodyEpidemic

KodyEpidemic

EmoEXT
First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Thank you guys for the advice. Now that I know how e85 reacts to colder weather, that’s probably going to be a scrapped idea. I’ll probably just go with the KTuner Stage 2 and run 92, a catless downpipe/front pipe (Yay to no emissions testing) and a cobra intake and call it a day. I know that CVT’s are always the big Achilles heal of any turbo cars, but I don’t plan on racing it and I don’t really drive that fast to begin with. I just want to wake the car up and make it a little louder (forgive me, I’m 21) and do cosmetic mods to it. But I think the hardest part is knowing what the power gains are and not knowing whether I’m going beyond the 250tq line. I’ll just have to see as I go. Thanks again!